Burke Comments

From Joe Pascucci's Twitter account:

Bombers HC Tim Burke's laundry list of offensive woes. 1) Wide Receivers not hitting their waggles 2) 1 WR never beat man press coverage

3) OL didn't block TCats DL movement 4) Olineman made same mistake on twice TCats QB Sack 5) Gave up 3 sack on poor technique from OL

6) Buck Pierce missed 3 open receivers Bottom line from Burke - "Everybody has to pick up their game on offensive side of the ball."

When asked when he would consider replacing Buck Pierce as Blue Bombers starting QB. HC Tim Burke responded "Quite a ways down the line."

Blue Bomber Head Coach Tim Burke says we can expect one roster move for sure for game against Argonauts and possibly two.

More from T Burke."You can only go so long and say this guy's making this mistake. After a while-you don't do your job you got to sit down"

Which is apparently applicable to everyone except for Buck.

I don't think thats really the case. I think it just takes longer to pull the trigger on that kind of change. Much like how a GM will get a change to change coaches before the board fires him.

You are going to try to make a change at WR/OL before you change QB.

I know Buck isn't the only problem and I know that for the most part, Tim Burke is not an idiot. I do however, question if Burke's comments are based on an unbiased opinion on Buck's play or is just him ignoring Buck's shortcomings that have been visible for some time if not becoming more prominent. History has shown us that Burke is a zero-tolerance kind of coach to everyone, with one exception. He completely threw Joey Elliott under the bus last year and rightfully so since it was after an atrocious game. Why is he so cautious to say the same things about Buck? I wish I could make sense of it but I can't.

I know Buck isn't the only problem and I know that for the most part, Tim Burke is not an idiot. I do however, question if Burke's comments are based on an unbiased opinion on Buck's play or is just him ignoring Buck's shortcomings that have been visible for some time if not becoming more prominent. History has shown us that Burke is a zero-tolerance kind of coach to everyone, with one exception. He completely threw Joey Elliott under the bus last year and rightfully so since it was after an atrocious game. Why is he so cautious to say the same things about Buck? I wish I could make sense of it but I can't.

That's the one thing I keep going back to as well. He never supported Joey and as soon as Joey struggled, Burke was uber quick to throw him under the bus. He's always supported Buck and I think it's fair to say at this point that Buck is struggling just as much as Joey ever did at his worst, yet Burke keeps handling Buck with kid gloves.

Based on Burke's comments it's an OL and a receiver and to be completely honest, I think it's going to be Matthews and Morley. I see Doug PIerce and Swiston starting next game. As happy as I would be to see Morley's time on this team end, I am sick to my stomach knowing that Matthews is likely to take the fall for Buck this week.

Based on Burke's comments it's an OL and a receiver and to be completely honest, I think it's going to be Matthews and Morley. I see Doug PIerce and Swiston starting next game. As happy as I would be to see Morley's time on this team end, I am sick to my stomach knowing that Matthews is likely to take the fall for Buck this week.

Matthews certainly hasn't been impressing - I just see Johnson as being another guy who has been making clear mistakes weekly - this coming after I was defending his place on the team last week.  Just saw him blow his coverage for BIG gains twice last game... it's never acceptable to give up a 61 yrd td.

Although after the TD to Giguere he looked back at someone else in the D like he thought someone wasn't where they were supposed to be... did he expect help over the top on that play?

Matthews certainly hasn't been impressing - I just see Johnson as being another guy who has been making clear mistakes weekly - this coming after I was defending his place on the team last week.  Just saw him blow his coverage for BIG gains twice last game... it's never acceptable to give up a 61 yrd td.

Although after the TD to Giguere he looked back at someone else in the D like he thought someone wasn't where they were supposed to be... did he expect help over the top on that play?

Cauchy bit on the low receiver when he should've helped pursue Giguere.

At least, that's what Jovon thought. I'm not sure what the coverage dictated.

I don't hide the fact that I'd love to see Jovon replaced. Being burned by Sam Giguere, one of the most painfully average players in the entire league, is just plain not acceptable. I just don't think it's happening based on Burke's comments and the fact that Sears will have to play SAM for the next while.

I don't hide the fact that I'd love to see Jovon replaced. Being burned by Sam Giguere, one of the most painfully average players in the entire league, is just plain not acceptable. I just don't think it's happening based on Burke's comments and the fact that Sears will have to play SAM for the next while.

You could hear Rod Black wet his shorts on that play.

oh come on, duane forde drew up what happened on that play quite clearly. Johnson was playing outside position expecting inside help, the inside man bit down deep and johnson was caught outside and the ball thrown inside. Don't blame Johnson on that when when it was the inside guy who blew his assignment. 

oh come on, duane forde drew up what happened on that play quite clearly. Johnson was playing outside position expecting inside help, the inside man bit down deep and johnson was caught outside and the ball thrown inside. Don't blame Johnson on that when when it was the inside guy who blew his assignment. 

But I want to blame Jovon.

That's the one thing I keep going back to as well. He never supported Joey and as soon as Joey struggled, Burke was uber quick to throw him under the bus. He's always supported Buck and I think it's fair to say at this point that Buck is struggling just as much as Joey ever did at his worst, yet Burke keeps handling Buck with kid gloves.

Disagree Mike. Buck has NEVER turned the ball over as much as Joey did. It's one thing to struggle, its another to game in and game out (except for games against Hamilton and Montreal) to be a complete turnover machine. Buck is a problem right now, but he has a successful track record as a starter, and there is obviously a reason Burke is sticking with him.

Ok that makes sense then...

Although the ball ended up to Giguere's outside shoulder but Johnson misread it in the air (I guess he knew it should have been thrown to the inside since he ran to try and contest the catch for a ball thrown to the inside)

I'm guessing Morely getting replaced this week and moved back to 6th O lineman.  

Sears coming in for Parker probably means JJ is safe this week.  BTW: The safety has to take the deepest guy on the field, not jump the short inside route, especially against a vet QB.  That has a lot to do with the 61 yard TD.

what ever reciever is getting benched (if any) I'm sure they deserve it. Also based on Harris getting replaced even though he was on a dominate D-line. Overall unit performance isn't being used to judge one player. IE, they would probably replace a poor performing WR even if the offense as a whole was playing well.

Disagree Mike. Buck has NEVER turned the ball over as much as Joey did. It's one thing to struggle, its another to game in and game out (except for games against Hamilton and Montreal) to be a complete turnover machine. Buck is a problem right now, but he has a successful track record as a starter, and there is obviously a reason Burke is sticking with him.

Buck's 3 turnovers on our side of the field in week 1 were more problematic than any of Joey's turnover filled games.