Bombers name Gene Dahlquist as new QB coach

Mike

I don't know if this is a good hire or not. He's worked with Bellefeuile before, so seems to be it's a friends bringing in friends type of deal, but considering that a QB Coach has gone wanting around these parts, better than nothing I suppose.

I hope he understands the CFL game.

X2- One of the biggest frustrations of the players for the past couple of years was the bumbling ineptness of Burke as head coach but especially Crowton as Offensive Co-ordinator. Every player knew that neither were good enough to guide the team. Like it or not, this is a rebuilding year with a rookie GM and rookie head coach, and we need all the CFL experience we can get. No good feelings about this announcement.

What I'm curious about is whether it would be better for our team to have a QB coach who played QB in the CFL (or just had CFL experience) or is it better to have some one like Dahlquist with his wealth of coaching experience and probably wealth of experience on how to deal with athletes one on one? Time will tell I guess. You would think that with someone like Willy who is still fairly new to our game that having a former CFLer would be more appropriate than having a non-cfl coach but who knows. I guess it's a win just having one.

People keep complaining about lack of CFL experience but you look at the staff and there is a wealth of experience in Canadian football. Whether it be as a players, management, or coaches there is a heck of a lot more Canadian football experience than we have had here in years or even a decade.

People keep complaining about lack of CFL experience but you look at the staff and there is a wealth of experience in Canadian football. Whether it be as a players, management, or coaches there is a heck of a lot more Canadian football experience than we have had here in years or even a decade.

well some here are bitching for the sake of bitching...

So, what are we expecting of a QB coach?  Help with footwork, release, reads etc.....?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the role of the QB coach?  Is he supposed to be intertwined with the OC, or should his main focus be the development of skills required for the QB to be successfull?

I would hope that if it is mainly skill development/improvement, that CFL experience not be the sole determinant of a "good" QB coach.

So, what are we expecting of a QB coach?  Help with footwork, release, reads etc.....?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the role of the QB coach?  Is he supposed to be intertwined with the OC, or should his main focus be the development of skills required for the QB to be successfull?

I would hope that if it is mainly skill development/improvement, that CFL experience not be the sole determinant of a "good" QB coach.

That would depend a lot on what Bellefeuille needs.  His primary job should be to work with the QB's, but Bellefeuille will probably involve him somewhat in his offensive gameplanning, much like he would with all of the positional coaches on offence.

I'm glad we have a QB coach, but I'd have prefered one who is a little younger and who has some CFL experience.  

Just curious ... who did you have in mind?

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind.  I just assume there will be a CFL learning curve for Dahlquist and I wonder if a guy, who would be the players great grandfathers age, will be able to connect with our young QB's.  

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind.  I just assume there will be a CFL learning curve for Dahlquist and I wonder if a guy, who would be the players great grandfathers age, will be able to connect with our young QB's.

That's why I was campaigning for Dieter. He'd be a grandfather at best, and even one of those creepy old dad guys at worst...

I'm glad we have a QB coach, but I'd have prefered one who is a little younger and who has some CFL experience.  

Just curious ... who did you have in mind?

I wonder if a guy, who would be the players great grandfathers age, will be able to connect with our young QB's.  

As Mike said, considering he was worked with guys like like Marcus Mariota, Zach Mettenberger, Tajh Boyd, and Terrell Pryor, I don't think we need to worry about that. The fact that he's worked with Mariota alone has me curious what he teaches our stable of QB's.

Again, those comparing him to Crowton, Kelly, etc couldn't be more off the mark since Dahlquist is not designing or running the offence. That's not what a QB coach does.

As Mike said, considering he was worked with guys like like Marcus Mariota, Zach Mettenberger, Tajh Boyd, and Terrell Pryor, I don't think we need to worry about that. The fact that he's worked with Mariota alone has me curious what he teaches our stable of QB's.

Again, those comparing how to Crowton, Kelly, etc couldn't be more off the mark since Dahlquist is not designing or running the offence. That's not what a QB coach does.

All right. Well then, here's to all the success in the world for Mr. Dahlquist. I think the bigger story here is that we actually hired a QB coach. Even if they had hired Troy Kopp or Russ Michna, at least it is somebody the QB's have on the sidelines to talk to rather than just walking off the field after yet another two and out to sit on the bench and wonder whether they'd be better off working in a Target in Oklahoma than being here in this foreign land with no support whatsoever.