Bombers name Gene Dahlquist as new QB coach

Mike

I'm glad we have a QB coach, but I'd have prefered one who is a little younger and who has some CFL experience.  

Just curious ... who did you have in mind?

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind.  I just assume there will be a CFL learning curve for Dahlquist and I wonder if a guy, who would be the players great grandfathers age, will be able to connect with our young QB's.  

Somebody needs to check the math on this one...

My son goes down to San Francisco a couple of times a year to work with a qb coach in the Bay Area named Roger Theder. He is the same age as Dahlquist & has been coaching for just as long. Roger is the former HC of the University of California at Berkley. Roger has worked with NFL qbs like Steve Bartkowski, has coached NCAA qbs in the past, up until last year he also worked in Atlanta for 2 months prepping players like RG 3, Brandon Wheedon & Russell Wilson for the NFL Combine. He coached Colin Kaepernick privately in the Bay Area when he was growing up & in an article I read recently he is credited from changing Kaepernick from a classic drop back stay in the pocket passer in high school to the style of qb he is now. Like Dahlquist, his resume is a who's who of qbs past & present in the NCAA & NFL.

Roger is a man of high energy. Never stands in one place more than a few seconds, always moving around, talking, clapping his hands & critiquing throws. My son is 23 & he loves working with the guy. They get along great & the 50 years in age difference doesn't mean anything. He told me he gets more out of a 2 hour session with Roger than any other qb coach he's ever had before. That's why he keeps going back.

Roger coaches qbs in the Bay Area 3 or 4 times a week year round. You'd never know he's in his 70's. I think working with young qbs helps to keep him young at heart. He is still passionate about football He gets everyone else around him fired up. That's why I'm not concerned about Dahlquist relating to our qbs. If they respect him & he is a good communicator, which I think he is, the age difference shouldn't mean too much.

I think most of us don't really care about his age.  Our concern is if he's going to be good at coaching CFL QB's instead of the NCAA/NFL type QB's.

I don't care who our QBC is, as long as he's good and can teach them some things to help them progress, I'm all for him.

...and as long as Boltus was just some fluke that he couldn't teach...I'm good.  :D

I think most of us don't really care about his age.  Our concern is if he's going to be good at coaching CFL QB's instead of the NCAA/NFL type QB's.

I don't care who our QBC is, as long as he's good and can teach them some things to help them progress, I'm all for him.

...and as long as Boltus was just some fluke that he couldn't teach...I'm good.   :D

:)