Robert McCune Bomber bound?

Tracker

I think we can find a way to get the best players on the field.  Are we certain we want Banks at LB?  I understand all the concerns about wanting to see Player A or B on the field, but I also think having too many good players at the position isn't a bad thing.  We suffered a lot of injuries at OLB last year too.  I want Parker on the field personally, but having too many good 'backers isn't really a concern for me at this point.  Strengthen the roster and figure out the rotation in camp.

Happy to see McCune land in Wpg.  If Wally is to believed the trending in the CFL West is to the running game and McCune would be a good antidote to that type of attack.

Don't forget this is a guy with a couple of well earned nicknames.  Robert "The Hammer" McCune and "Mad Dog". 

It's been a long time since an individual Bomber player earned a nickname, can't recall anyone since "Blink"....so it's trending right.

Happy to see McCune land in Wpg.  If Wally is to believed the trending in the CFL West is to the running game and McCune would be a good antidote to that type of attack.

Don't forget this is a guy with a couple of well earned nicknames.  Robert "The Hammer" McCune and "Mad Dog". 

It's been a long time since an individual Bomber player earned a nickname, can't recall anyone since "Blink"....so it's trending right.

Incompleterson sure earned his nickname.

A bit long in the tooth but so was Simpson when he landed here..

What happened for us last time we landed a bonafide FA MLB.. it was gooooood.. If this is the case and we did land him, not a bad replacement for Muamba at all.. Also, gives us time to groom hogue or Parker as MLB prospects..

I've seen backers beat up & finished at 28. The guy was in the US Marines, is a physical fitness nut & a fiend in the weight room. He started playing football late because of his military committments. if he can still ball I don't care if he's 35. We need players NOW to help us win games. We need to plug a lot of holes. We went cheap with youth & look where it got us. 

Ok...he can play for your team, seeing as you love him so much...not for me thanks

So..... if he signs here what are you going to do, stop going to the games? I love the guy only because I know what he'd bring to the Bombers on the field & in the locker rooom. He's a veteran at MLB & fits the bill great! The last thing I want is some clueless rookie MLB getting burned every play. We need experience. 

Would love this.

Ya, he's old.  As long as we're not banking on him being a long term solution, we will be okay.  The management and team seem intent on finding player to win now AND finding players for the future.  Guys like Korey Banks aren't here to make us winners three years from now.  O'Shea wants to compete immediately and to do that he needs a guy like McCune, who might not be great but could be good enough for a team with a gaping hole at MLB.  I think there is a difference between wanting to win now and mortgaging the future to win now.  I think we are in the former and not the latter category.  If we were just signing a bunch of old guys, or killing our cap by signing them to big money and long term deals (thus limiting future signings of young players) I'd be more concerned.  Some of the other additions the Bombers are banking on being long term solutions.  No harm in trying to make the roster competition stronger for this season.

Ottawa is a good example of that. Signing old guys to big contracts.... 

I'll be a happy guy if they *DO* bring McCune in .. been eyeing him as a replacement for Muamba since it was apparent he was gone .. and, like others have mentioned, he's a bridge .. he's not a long term answer but it shows that Walters and company get it .. they are intent on acquiring veteran guys who can fill leadership roles .. who are performing at a high level .. and allow the younger guys to get reps and grow into a role .. that's been the one gap we've had over the last number of years .. not respecting the impact of quality veteran leaders .. guys who have "been there" ..

Also would be nice to have a guy, in the middle of the field, who punishes people.

We've had success in signing other teams' castoff linebackers who were deemed expendable for various reasons- KD Williams and James West for a couple, and there are probably more, so McCune is not that much of a reach. His personality and dedication mean leadership and that will be sorely needed in  a year which will be very up and down.

We've had success in signing other teams' castoff linebackers who were deemed expendable for various reasons- KD Williams and James West for a couple, and there are probably more, so McCune is not that much of a reach. His personality and dedication mean leadership and that will be sorely needed in  a year which will be very up and down.

Yeah the old Bomber teams in the 1980's used to pick up guys from other teams that were deemed expendable and still squeeze some good years out of them. John Helton was another one, as well as David Shaw. Under Mack all we did was sign youngsters with no experience and be shocked when they looked like lost sheep on the field. It would be great if we could go back to those old days where we get the best out of guys that other teams didn't want any more.