Edwards Announces Retirement

voodoochylde

I am happy to see this happen instead of witnessing another aging athlete at the end of a great career trying to go one more season. Terrence had lost a step or two to the point where technique and body control could no longer compensate for the lack of foot speed. The team will miss his ability to go get the ball and leadership by example.

We wish you the best,Terrence, in wherever your life takes you and thank you for your time here.

Yup.  Several folks actually.

As usual Captain 20-20 hindsight calls another correct prediction.

As usual Mr. Irrelevant has nothing really to say.  

Last year I chose Edwards as the surprise TC cut and I was wrong.  This year I said he'd likely not make it to TC and I was right.  Just cuz you didn't see it coming, doesn't mean others were also blind.

One of the franchise’s all-time greatest receivers – Terrence Edwards -- announces his retirement today, after seven seasons with the Blue Bombers, and nine in the Canadian Football League.

“I’ve had a great run in this league, and made countless friends and memories I will forever cherish,” said Edwards. “This city and the Blue Bomber organization has been so good to my family and me, and I just cannot thank them enough for everything they have done. Also, I would really like to acknowledge and thank the fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The support we get as players is amazing, and that is one of the best things I will take away from my time in Winnipeg.”

After joining the Blue Bombers as a free agent in May of 2007, Edwards went on to an illustrious career in a Bomber uniform, hanging his cleats up sitting 4th all-time in receiving yards (7,200 yards), and 10th in yards from scrimmage (7,273) as a Bomber. In all seven seasons, he never failed to gain at least 500 receiving yards and pushed his CFL career totals to 508 catches for 7,637 yards and 47 touchdowns by the end of 2013. Edwards produced five, 1,000-yard seasons in Winnipeg, and a total of 24, 100-yard games, second only to Milt Stegall among all-time Bombers receivers.

“Terrence will retire today as one of the best receivers in the history of this franchise. He was a leader of the club’s offence for many years, and players like him simply do not come along every day. He was a special player in our league, and we thank him for everything he has done for our organization,” said General Manager Kyle Walters.

Edwards was named to the Division All-Star team three times and twice to the All-CFL team. He led the club in receiving in 2007, 2010 and 2011, with the 2010 campaign marking his career-highs of 1,372 yards and 12 touchdowns. Edwards played in three Grey Cups recording 11 receptions, appearing once as a rookie with Montreal in 2005, and again in 2007 and 2011 with the Blue Bombers.

“Terrence Edwards has been a consummate professional for the Winnipeg Football Club throughout the past seven years, and I would personally like to thank him for representing our club with class, hard work, and a burning desire to be successful,” said President and CEO Wade Miller. “He may be hanging them up, but he will always remain a member of the Blue Bomber family.”

Edwards first joined the CFL late in the 2005 season when he signed with the Montreal Alouettes. He played his college football at Georgia, where he set numerous records and remains one of the best receivers in Georgia Bulldogs history.

If you're readiing this Terrence, thanks for all the years of entertainment and being a true blue bomber. You're part of an elite group.

maybe in 2015 when our Willy leads us to the promised land and we womp on the lowly Ti-Cats in the Grey Cup the CFL will allow us to add Terrence, Doug, Milt and Khari to the roster at the last minute so we have 52 guys on the actual roster. That way they can all get their names on the Cup.

maybe in 2015 when our Willy leads us to the promised land and we womp on the lowly Ti-Cats in the Grey Cup the CFL will allow us to add Terrence, Doug, Milt and Khari to the roster at the last minute so we have 52 guys on the actual roster. That way they can all get their names on the Cup.

So Charles Roberts isn't good enough for your list?  I see how it is.

So Charles Roberts isn't good enough for your list?  I see how it is.

Hee hee...and if we are going to expand it even more we might as well invite Brock Ralph and Kamau to the party as well... :)

As for CR, as much as I loved watching that guy play, it would have been nice if he could have showed up for the 2007 Grey Cup...

Nate was mentioned in another thread and I just saw this post-mordem post of his on Riderfans:

T Edwards was an above average import receiver who managed to coax 9 years out of a hurt body and a turf toe foot.

His speed was average (or less), his hands were above average - he even ventured into unthinkable territory to nab suicide passes from guys like Pierce, Brink, Elliott, Goltz, Hall, etc.

He's an instant entrant into the Blue Bomber Hall of Fame where the main standard (at least in last 15 years) is what kind of a community guy you were.

His statue will be right beside Wadzilla Miller and Big Bubba Brown, other "Hall of Fame" bombers.

Part of the 'amazing core' Mike O'Shea expounded loudly in his acceptance press conference. Of course, most bomber fans with a brain knew instantly he was just trying to be nice. Other than Muamba, Drew Willy and a handful of above average men, the bomber roster has been putrid.

I don't miss that guy.

Good guy who put up with a whole lot of crap in his career with the Bombers and is easily a Bomber HOFer.  Good, productive receiver who did his job.  Also glad to see him make this decision as a productive player and not try to squeeze out another couple of injury plagued seasons where he has to fight for a roster spot.

Good guy who put up with a whole lot of crap in his career with the Bombers and is easily a Bomber HOFer.  Good, productive receiver who did his job.  Also glad to see him make this decision as a productive player and not try to squeeze out another couple of injury plagued seasons where he has to fight for a roster spot.

Agreed. One thing I won't miss was his annoying habit he developed in the past two years of complaining to the refs after every incomplete pass to call pass interference. I hope that the receivers this year stop doing that. All it does is make the refs not want to call the PI, even if it's blatant.

Yup.  Several folks actually.

As usual Captain 20-20 hindsight calls another correct prediction.

As usual Mr. Irrelevant has nothing really to say.  

Last year I chose Edwards as the surprise TC cut and I was wrong.  This year I said he'd likely not make it to TC and I was right.  Just cuz you didn't see it coming, doesn't mean others were also blind.

If you keep predicting an older player to retire every year sooner or later I suppose it's bound to happen.... Seriously are you really going to boast about that? Everyone knew Edwards was getting near the end of the line. 

Good guy who put up with a whole lot of crap in his career with the Bombers and is easily a Bomber HOFer. Good, productive receiver who did his job. Also glad to see him make this decision as a productive player and not try to squeeze out another couple of injury plagued seasons where he has to fight for a roster spot.

Agreed. One thing I won't miss was his annoying habit he developed in the past two years of complaining to the refs after every incomplete pass to call pass interference. I hope that the receivers this year stop doing that. All it does is make the refs not want to call the PI, even if it's blatant.

Ya that was getting really annoying.

Congrats and good luck to TE, solid receiver that did his job and well for a good while. Still think he had a bit of gas left in the tank and could have assisted the team in bunches on the leadership side, but when it's time to go, you gotta go.

Thanks to TE, who too often was the only offensive sparkplug on the Bombers.

I always wanted to compare his receiving yardage vs. the Als against his receiving yardage vs. other teams.  Seems like he always played his best when it was the Als on the other side -- he always seemed to play up to his opponents.

Thought Edwards was going to be cut last training camp, and didn't think he'd have much of a role with this team going forward.  Happy to see him retire and not try and hang on by a thread.  He's a really good guy, was a tremendous player for us and someone we and the organization can be proud of.