Edwards Announces Retirement

voodoochylde

One of the franchise’s all-time greatest receivers – Terrence Edwards -- announces his retirement today, after seven seasons with the Blue Bombers, and nine in the Canadian Football League.

“I’ve had a great run in this league, and made countless friends and memories I will forever cherish,” said Edwards. “This city and the Blue Bomber organization has been so good to my family and me, and I just cannot thank them enough for everything they have done. Also, I would really like to acknowledge and thank the fans of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The support we get as players is amazing, and that is one of the best things I will take away from my time in Winnipeg.”

After joining the Blue Bombers as a free agent in May of 2007, Edwards went on to an illustrious career in a Bomber uniform, hanging his cleats up sitting 4th all-time in receiving yards (7,200 yards), and 10th in yards from scrimmage (7,273) as a Bomber. In all seven seasons, he never failed to gain at least 500 receiving yards and pushed his CFL career totals to 508 catches for 7,637 yards and 47 touchdowns by the end of 2013. Edwards produced five, 1,000-yard seasons in Winnipeg, and a total of 24, 100-yard games, second only to Milt Stegall among all-time Bombers receivers.

“Terrence will retire today as one of the best receivers in the history of this franchise. He was a leader of the club’s offence for many years, and players like him simply do not come along every day. He was a special player in our league, and we thank him for everything he has done for our organization,” said General Manager Kyle Walters.

Edwards was named to the Division All-Star team three times and twice to the All-CFL team. He led the club in receiving in 2007, 2010 and 2011, with the 2010 campaign marking his career-highs of 1,372 yards and 12 touchdowns. Edwards played in three Grey Cups recording 11 receptions, appearing once as a rookie with Montreal in 2005, and again in 2007 and 2011 with the Blue Bombers.

“Terrence Edwards has been a consummate professional for the Winnipeg Football Club throughout the past seven years, and I would personally like to thank him for representing our club with class, hard work, and a burning desire to be successful,” said President and CEO Wade Miller. “He may be hanging them up, but he will always remain a member of the Blue Bomber family.”

Edwards first joined the CFL late in the 2005 season when he signed with the Montreal Alouettes. He played his college football at Georgia, where he set numerous records and remains one of the best receivers in Georgia Bulldogs history.

As one of Terrence Edwards' biggest critics in the past few years, I'll say that he was truly an awesome player for us and I'm sad to see him go. Awesome commitment to the city and the team and I hope he sticks around in some capacity.

You are funny sometimes... :)

Or I guess you mean some capacity other than coaching...

As one of Terrence Edwards' biggest critics in the past few years, I'll say that he was truly an awesome player for us and I'm sad to see him go. Awesome commitment to the city and the team and I hope he sticks around in some capacity.

I did. Something to allow him to remain visible, whether it be as a team ambassador or whatever they can find for him.

I did. Something to allow him to remain visible, whether it be as a team ambassador or whatever they can find for him.

If I'm Oshea, I'll make Edwards the receiver coach and move Howell to (co) defensive backs coach and st assistant.

thank you for your contributions Terrence. You are a class act and an all around great human being. We were lucky to have you for seven seasons, and your heart and ability made a lot of the suffering we had to endure as Bomber fans bearable. Good luck.

Did anyone else see this coming? The timing just seems weird. He still has game left.

thank you for your contributions Terrence. You are a class act and an all around great human being. We were lucky to have you for seven seasons, and your heart and ability made a lot of the suffering we had to endure as Bomber fans bearable. Good luck.

Did anyone else see this coming? The timing just seems weird. He still has game left.

Have to admit I did. I just really didn't see a role with the team next year where his paycheque would be warranted.

Have to admit I did. I just really didn't see a role with the team next year where his paycheque would be warranted.

I did too. He's been surpassed by younger guys (Moore & Denmark).

Great guy, great player, & he represented the Bombers well throughout his career with us.

Ok then. Well it's good that the Bombers dealt with this then in February rather than having TE show up at camp and then have to go through the uncomfortable exercise of explaining to the fans and media and to TE that he was no longer in the plans. Good to see this done in a professional way.

I sort of expected it. I didn't really see him as part of the rebuild, but I also didn't see him playing anywhere else. Good for Terence to retire before he was completely washed up and while he still has his health.

Yup.  Several folks actually.  

Good luck to Edwards though.  He was a good one.