Should We Get Younger...

Floyd

Well, I am a big fan of CFL vets and I think we have cut the wrong vets at times... but maybe its time to get even younger, this sure seems like another rebuild year.

JJ - have to say, it looks like hes lost a step, might as well put Markett in, JJ can win his job back if he wants it

Labbe - his whole schtick is Special Teams - but he is a weak link now, I cant forget that pathetic fake in preseason, this game he was a nonfactor - who replaces him though...

Morley - costly penalty, maybe the preseason antics were more a sign that he cant keep up...

Edwards - never thought I would even suggest this but but maybe its time to transition to player coach... wouldnt cut him outright but too many waggle penalties, not enough practice and the refs all know he plays up the PI, its not working anymore

And, of course, Buck... but thats another thread.

If Dunn Continues to impress, which I think is likely, givin what he was able to do against arguably the top offence in the league, I can definitely see us Starting Sears in place of Johnson, and Johnson coming down with a mysterious 9 game injury...

Insert Sears in Johnsons place and our secondary will be dominant again, and our defence will be complete.

re: Jovon's PI -- the call should have been a wash, because AB3 was interfering as much as JJ was. As for the premise of this thread, I actually burst out laughing. All through Joe Mack's tenure, all I've heard from Bomber fans is how we're too young. Not enough vet presence. Now we're too old? Get lost...you need a good combo, and I think we have that this year. The team showed a lot of good things last night that are being overshadowed by the fact that we didn't get 2pts. We're going to surprise a lot of people this year and win a lotta games...

re: Jovon's PI -- the call should have been a wash, because AB3 was interfering as much as JJ was. As for the premise of this thread, I actually burst out laughing. All through Joe Mack's tenure, all I've heard from Bomber fans is how we're too young. Not enough vet presence. Now we're too old? Get lost...you need a good combo, and I think we have that this year. The team showed a lot of good things last night that are being overshadowed by the fact that we didn't get 2pts. We're going to surprise a lot of people this year and win a lotta games...

I think Bob, Mitch and Doug nailed it on the post game show last night: the East is going to be a dog fight this year.  We demonstrated that we have the talent to compete and the firepower to score in a hurry.  Now we just need to be able to develop some consistency.

Well, I am a big fan of CFL vets and I think we have cut the wrong vets at times... but maybe its time to get even younger, this sure seems like another rebuild year.

JJ - have to say, it looks like hes lost a step, might as well put Markett in, JJ can win his job back if he wants it

Labbe - his whole schtick is Special Teams - but he is a weak link now, I cant forget that pathetic fake in preseason, this game he was a nonfactor - who replaces him though...

Morley - costly penalty, maybe the preseason antics were more a sign that he cant keep up...

Edwards - never thought I would even suggest this but but maybe its time to transition to player coach... wouldnt cut him outright but too many waggle penalties, not enough practice and the refs all know he plays up the PI, its not working anymore

And, of course, Buck... but thats another thread.

it was the vets that made untimely errors on this one - JJ, Morley and Edwards... JJ is the same as last year so clearly he needs to be replaced, Morley and Edwards may get another pass but obviously there are guys ready to step up on their posts. Not sure about Labbe, he might not have a ST tackle that's because the Muamba bros are leading the way... and Pontbriand.

Buck was pretty bad last night.  Just rusty? INT first play of the game, oy vey! Several throws that were 4/5 yds wide of the reciever on the sidelines, no excuse for that, just poor throws.

What last night's game highlights, is that even when Buck's healthy, he's not really anything more than a mediocore starting QB in this league.

Now we just need to be able to develop some consistency.

quoting because it needs to be said....

They left a lot of plays out there last night, they gave Montreal a lot of chances with turnovers, they took some ill timed penalties... but despite all that they had their chances to win. This roster is good enough to win, time to clean up the mistakes in a hurry and start making more plays when they're available.

We should get better.  If we have somebody available who is better then an old guy then we should play him.  If we have somebody available who is better then a young guy then we should play him.

Is Anderson better then Edwards?  Markett better then Johnson?  That's for management to decide.  But I would also replace a young guy with a vet too if said vet was better.  

QFT. Well said.

Brandon London caught 1 ball i think for 14 yards JJ was coving him all night, but yeah I guess he has lost a step.

I think people are just looking at the PI penalty and carrying over their opinions from last year to Johnsons game last night. He was solid, I thought all the dbs were truthfully. Sure there were some mistakes buy guys, but overall the defense did a good job.

Let's all dump on Buck bandwagon. All you armchair QBs how do you know if the receivers didn't screw up on some of those "bad throws"?

because receivers aren't supposed to be running routes 5 yards out of bounds and they aren't 1 foot ball to catch balls thrown into the dirt. 

What's wrong with Labbe?  You need to have special teamers and Canadian backups.  He's more of a WIL than a MLB, and has always been a valuable player for us on passing downs.

You just noticed that Edwards isn't a great player?  He hasn't broken a tackle since 2007.

Yeah 1000+ yards in 5 of the last 6 seasons what a bum.  Must be our outstanding QBs just making him look good

Yeah 1000+ yards in 5 of the last 6 seasons what a bum.  Must be our outstanding QBs just making him look good

He was a great 2nd/3rd option to Armstrong and Stegall before the toe injury took its toll.  There aren't many import receivers who wouldn't put up 1000 yards a season with the amount of times he is targeted.  A great one would put up 1400-1500.  He doesn't make enough of the tough catches in traffic (see Green and Richardson last night) to be considered great.