REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

Sorry to take the thread in a different direction but I'm too young (I don't get to say that often anymore) to known about the zoo comment and how things went down with Brock. Would you mind elaborating?

*Braces for Iso's Back-In-My-Day-Everything-Was-Better 3-Paragraph Story*

Sorry to take the thread in a different direction but I'm too young (I don't get to say that often anymore) to known about the zoo comment and how things went down with Brock. Would you mind elaborating?

Well I was pretty young at the time so I'm sure some of the older guys here will correct me, but Brock was always having fits and fights with the Bombers, as he was a pretty big prima-donna. In 1983 it finally all came to a head, and he just didn't want to play for Winnipeg anymore, burning his bridge with the city by saying that the zoo was the only good thing about Winnipeg, or something to that effect. He could have easily just gone back to the US and sat there waiting for the Bombers to release him, and we would have gotten nothing for him. Instead, Harold Ballard somehow decided that Brock was better than Clements, who I believe was also giving Hamilton head-aches at the time, and so one day it was just announced that we were getting Clements for Brock. The entire city breathed a sigh of relief that the whole drama with Brock was over, and the first game he played back in Winnipeg (which I was at) in September 1984 was a huge catharsis for all of us, considering what Dieter had put us through, and how he had insulted us. Tyrone Jones ran all over Dieter that game, and every time he was sacked, the song "Ghostbusters" would play, and the entire stadium would get up and dance and yell "BROCK-BUSTERS!!" It was probably one of the best games I've ever been to. The entire stadium was rocking that day. It was a sell-out too, and the Bombers won 48-16. Ahhh...those were the days.

Could of sworn I just saw him in the GC game this year after a 6 win season.............

What's your point? We weren't going there this year with him. Also keep in mind he was pulled a number of times last year, including the playoffs where his back up played a big part in the win over Montreal. Burris did nothing in the cold during the Grey Cup that was well in hand by half time.

Brock said there was nothing to do in Winnipeg, you can only go the zoo so many times.

LOL...So Hamilton was the better place to be?!!?

To be honest, I hated the trade at the time,” Brock recalled. “I was trying to get back down to the States, because the USFL was starting up.

http://cfl-scrapbook.no-ip.org/Brock.Dieter-Ham.php

Brock just wanted to go to the US real bad, and so was hoping Winnipeg would just release him. It was a pretty disrespectful way of going about it. He finally did get to the NFL in 1985, and took the Rams all the way to the NFC finals, where they were crushed by the steam-roller that was the 1985 Chicago Bears.

So, $450,000 plus incentives. This is the new standard now for qbs. Like I said earlier either here or on another thread, the top CFL qbs will be getting half a mill a year or more when the new CBA comes into effect in conjunction with the new tv deal. So, get used to it. It came a bit early. A year from now this contract may look like a deal.

It's more likely to be the worst contract since Casey Printers signed with the Ticats.

Except Burris has thrown for 5000 yards wherever he has played and scored plenty of touchdowns.

And also throws plenty of picks, got benched more than anyone should with the money he makes, and more often than not doesn't get the job done when it gets cold outside.

vs.....

hall and goltz that can't move the offence consistently.

Sorry.. I rather have a future hall of famer playing for us while the backups get more time to develop.. BUt that just me.. But i'm done suffering through 5+ seasons with throwing rookies out there when our "Starter" was hurt.

*Braces for Iso's Back-In-My-Day-Everything-Was-Better 3-Paragraph Story*

Like the time he caught the ferry over to Shelbyville, he needed a new heel for his shoe. So he decided to go to MOrganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So he tied an onion to his belt, which was the style at the time. 

This is getting ridiculous.

The RedBlacks are not paying Burris $465,000 unless he is the MOP after their Grey Cup win... This money is not 'tied up' - it is money that you have to start juggling if all of a sudden you are a real contender.

IF Hank is lighting it up, Glenn will simply be traded. That's how this league works - the Bombers just don't get it.

Probably came down to Ottawa offering a much bigger signing bonus than we did...

You have no idea what you're talking about. All speculation.

Yup. At least our speculations are coming from pretty reliable sources in the media as opposed to figments of our imaginations

Anyone saying the Burris deal could be a bargain when the cap goes up is forgetting that there's about a 99.9% chance he's got a stipulation in his deal that the value goes up if the cap goes up.

pure speculation 

Hence the 99.9% chance.  :P

Brock said there was nothing to do in Winnipeg, you can only go the zoo so many times.

LOL...So Hamilton was the better place to be?!!?

Ask Zach :P

Clements was done in HAM as Brock was in WPG. Fans were hostile at his underachieving and Calvillo-like moping.Not a lot of complaining when he was dealt.

I remember those days well. You could get a bag of popcorn and a Pepsi at IWS for a nickel. Of course in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Five bees for a quarter" we used to say. ...So anyway...Um..

Sounds like Brock was the original Bryzgalov

Yup - it was deja vu all over again. Now where was I... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Ah the "Brock Busters" game.  I remember it well.  I think it was a local DJ by the name of Joey Gregoresh (sp) who performed a parody of the Ghostbusters song and it played on the radio for weeks.  I think it was on of the local papers that also provided the signs with the words "Brock" in the ghostbusters logo thing.   Anyway we won and the stadium was as loud that day.   

Ah the good ol' days.   

Ah the "Brock Busters" game.  I remember it well.  I think it was a local DJ by the name of Joey Gregoresh (sp) who performed a parody of the Ghostbusters song and it played on the radio for weeks.  I think it was on of the local papers that also provided the signs with the words "Brock" in the ghostbusters logo thing.   Anyway we won and the stadium was as loud that day.   

Ah the good ol' days.

Yeah I believe it was Joey Gregorash that did the parody. It was quite the hype. I was actually amazed at the courage it took for Dieter to show his face again in Winnipeg after the trade, knowing he was walking into a stadium full of angry fans, all wanting to see him get creamed, and sing "Brock Busters" 50 times a quarter. Anyway, like I said, those were the days.

Anyone saying the Burris deal could be a bargain when the cap goes up is forgetting that there's about a 99.9% chance he's got a stipulation in his deal that the value goes up if the cap goes up.

pure speculation 

I think (and in the words of the great Dave Ritchie "When I say I think, know that I know so") Mike just might have a better track record than both you and Kels. He knows what he is talking about. On the other hand, as has been evidenced time and again over the past number of days, you and Kels just simply don't.

pure speculation

I think (and in the words of the great Dave Ritchie "When I say I think, know that I know so") Mike just might have a better track record than both you and Kels. He knows what he is talking about. On the other hand, as has been evidenced time and again over the past number of days, you and Kels just simply don't.

Yup, i trust mikes info almost as much as a cfl scribe as he has been almost as accurate ..

pure speculation

Yup, i trust mikes info almost as much as a cfl scribe as he has been almost as accurate ..

Careful, he already has to step sideways to get through the door to get his ego through.

:D  *pokes Mike*