REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

Fine, Glenn plus Willy then. 

That could still work. Though I doubt the Bombers can swing it.

Here's to giving Drew Willy the reigns in 2014 -- running for his life from the very first play behind a patchwork O-line. 

Injured and out of football by Labour Day. 

Here in Winnipeg we call that the Stefan LeFors.

Here's to giving Drew Willy the reigns in 2014 -- running for his life from the very first play behind a patchwork O-line. 

Or crushed under the weight of a fan-base's  unrealistic expectations ..

Imagine Bomber fans wanting a playoff spot. Not a GC championship  Just a playoff spot. Oh & some respect. Yep, unrealistic alright. 

Based on that Penton tweet, as much as getting a #1 QB would have been nice today Walters did what was in the best interest of the ball club and balked at that price. That is absolutely ridiculous.

The SMS cap is going up with the new tv deal. Expect this to be the norm, not the exception. 

Imagine Bomber fans wanting a playoff spot. Not a GC championship  Just a playoff spot. Oh & some respect. Yep, unrealistic alright. 

My point is more to the fact that the vast majority of uneducated fans are going to expect whomever it is that lines up behind centre to work miracles and simply go out and win .. they aren't ready for a young quarterback to struggle .. to allow that player to learn to fight through adversity and eek out tough wins .. to grow from those tough loses .. people are going to want to yank him at the first sign of trouble .. it's a sure fire way to destroy the confidence of a young player and it's part of the reason why we find ourselves in this situation now ..

@PentonKirk: Just landed in Ottawa to hear from source #RedBlacks paying Burris way over 400K and #Bombers weren't in ball park.

Good luck to Ottawa. And if I were Glenn I'd want a little revenge for being used like an old *****. If Ottawa can pay all 3 QBs I'll eat my ball cap. I hope Kohlert meant what he said about going to FA and re-signing with Wpg.

400K. If this is true all the people slamming Walters and Miller owe them a huge apology. 400K is BS.

We still don't know the details of this contract.  Never will - well over $400k could be $75,000 signing bonus and $300k this year with incentives - as in, well over $400k if they win the grey cup...

I have never been a huge Burris fan - personally I wanted Collaros... but now we have missed two QBs and are heading into free agency with no starting QB (no offence Max) and the 'stink' of losing two bidding wars...

We need to overpay in a major way.  Still can't believe we left money on last year's cap without locking up, at the very least, guys like Gilmore, Ford, JJ...  that was essentially 'found' money.

@PentonKirk: Just landed in Ottawa to hear from source #RedBlacks paying Burris way over 400K and #Bombers weren't in ball park.

Good luck to Ottawa. And if I were Glenn I'd want a little revenge for being used like an old *****. If Ottawa can pay all 3 QBs I'll eat my ball cap. I hope Kohlert meant what he said about going to FA and re-signing with Wpg.

400K. If this is true all the people slamming Walters and Miller owe them a huge apology. 400K is BS.

I won't fault Burris for going out and getting as much money as he can .. his prerogative .. that said .. I'm very glad we didn't cave and pony up that kind of coin ..

My point is more to the fact that the vast majority of uneducated fans are going to expect whomever it is that lines up behind centre to work miracles and simply go out and win .. they aren't ready for a young quarterback to struggle .. to allow that player to learn to fight through adversity and eek out tough wins .. to grow from those tough loses .. people are going to want to yank him at the first sign of trouble .. it's a sure fire way to destroy the confidence of a young player and it's part of the reason why we find ourselves in this situation now ..

No one here thinks that if we signed Collaros or Burris we'd be Grey Cup champs. All we wanted is for a qb to come in here & play well, set the stage for some building blocks to be put in place & challenge for a playoff spot. We threw our qbs to the wolves last year because we had to. Not because we wanted to. I'd say their development was stunted because of that. 

Sign Glenn when he gets released.

Sign big Willy when he hits free agency.

I'd much rather over pay for an NI offencive lineman than for Burris.

Quality NI linemen are worth their weight in gold.  No sense investing in your QB (for now or the future) if you can't put that player in the best spot possible to succeed ..

Based on that Penton tweet, as much as getting a #1 QB would have been nice today Walters did what was in the best interest of the ball club and balked at that price. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I do not think this can be stressed enough.

Walters, through no fault of his own, has been put in a very awkward situation and stepped away from that "negotiation" and for that, he gets the slings and arrows of outrageous criticism.

I can just see the barbs thrown his way as a 'rookie' GM if he had paid that price, and the screams of getting 'schooled' once again.

It took guts to walk away from that situation, but for Walters, it was almost a no-win situation.

vs going another season or two with Goltz and Hall?

I bet the latter is going to be the steeper price to pay for the team in the short term and possible mid to long term..

Last thing this team needs is for Fans to become disinterested if the team repeats last years performance.. It will be alot harder to get the fans back in the stands once they decide to give up.

I am becoming more frustrated every day. I cannot believe that Winnipeg has such a rep as a graveyard for football careers that no decent QB wants to come here. If DesJardins is determined to start bidding wars, there is really nothing to be done, but it would be comforting to hear from Walters about how the dynamics of this latest boondoggle played out and what he is planning to do about it. The lack of a good quarterback was the main reason Mack, LaPolice, Burke and several other GMs and HCs lost their jobs. We were asked to trust and believe that all would be well, and it sounds like that all over again. If we have to go into the next season with an all-mediocre batch of QB's, we might as well give up on the season and tune in after Labour Day for the autopsy.

Why would they be ready and willing to site through young Qb's struggling?

Theyve already been doing this for 5 years..   Just because the management team has changed doesnt mean the expectations for the team will change.  You can't do the same ******* thing for a 6th season in a row and expect the fan base that supports the team to go " No worries.. We will sit here while you rebuild for the 3rd time in 6 years"   Walters isn't responsible for getting the team into the mess but he for ******* sure is responsible for getting the team out of this mess and to do it quickly.  

I won't fault Burris for going out and getting as much money as he can .. his prerogative .. that said .. I'm very glad we didn't cave and pony up that kind of coin ..

Do you mind if I ask why?  Even with a $400k+ contract, we have lots of cap space.

Aside from Henoc, who on our roster is even close to maxing out their salary... maybe Cauchy because Mack overpaid him like Kito...

Everyone else is likely near league minimum with a few guys around $100-125k

This is getting hilarious in a sad kind of way. I wonder who's going to snub us next................ Glenn ? Willy ?

God I hope Walters isn't dumb enough to bring Demarco here.

Why would they be ready and willing to site through young Qb's struggling?

Theyve already been doing this for 5 years..   Just because the management team has changed doesnt mean the expectations for the team will change.  You can't do the same ******* thing for a 6th season in a row and expect the fan base that supports the team to go " No worries.. We will sit here while you rebuild for the 3rd time in 6 years"   Walters isn't responsible for getting the team into the mess but he for ******* sure is responsible for getting the team out of this mess and to do it quickly.  

This is my point exactly (or I should say your reaction is at any rate).

Fans won't have the patience to let Willy grow and develop .. nor would they have with Collaros .. these are young guys .. with tools .. but not a whole lot of experience .. there will be ups and downs .. there will be struggles with those guys ..  fans will be on them if they struggle and the weight of those expectations .. to deliver us from the dark ages .. is staggering ..

As a fan I'm not disappointed in Walters.. at least he made offers and an attempt to acquire these qbs.

It wasn't like the last few years when they settled for Buck without any effort to replacing him.

I'll curious to see what they do now. If Walters can't sign Willy and or trade for DeMarco/Glenn then I will have lost all hope

Thats the issue though.  Why dont they want to come here?

Because the team is not competitive? (but Ottawa will be?)

Because it was a gong show the last couple of years (even though we have a new CEO, new GM, new HC?)

Because players dont like/respect the new CEO, GM, HC?

Rookie President, rookie GM, rookie HC, uninspiring OC, a disaster waiting to happen at DC. Should I go on? We went with what works for the Bombers in perpetuity. We didn't hire the best people. We hired friends & acquaintances.... Nothing changes with this team. We ran out the old guard & paid thru the nose & replaced them with what? A younger version of the old guard. Now to get a starting qb like Glenn we'll probably have to part with a starter & our first round pick. Walters traded our second round pick for an injured player. Unbelievable that conceivably to get a legitimate starting qb we may have no picks until the third round. I just can't see this getting any worse but hey this is the Blue Bombers, we all know that it probably will. 

The sky has fallen in iso land...

As a fan I'm not disappointed in Walters.. at least he made offers and an attempt to acquire these qbs.

It wasn't like the last few years when they settled for Buck without any effort to replacing him.

I'll curious to see what they do now. If Walters can't sign Willy and or trade for DeMarco/Glenn then I will have lost all hope

That's just loser talk.  That's the same as saying well we got slaughtered by 30+ points at home again..but hey.. at least we showed up and got dressed up in our nice uniforms...

It's still another failure on the bombers behalf.