REDBLACKS major announcement today, Burris Signed

gbill2004

Hopefully Miller was left out of the negotiating. If you have ever met him in person or dealt with him in business you would understand that he is a rough bull in a china shop type of executive.  GM rookie and CEO is showing through today.

Maybe he rubs people the wrong way. That type of attitude may be good on the playing field but in business it just does not go very far.

Walters really f*cked this up big time.  His rookie colors are coming through here.  I was a Walters supporter.  Not anymore. 

I dont have emotional feelings about it and I *like* Walters but I think I agree.  It's not June yet so that will be the real time to judge but he was tasked with making this team better, primarily in the form of a QB.  He's failing.  He's got a brand new facility, brand new management and coaching staff and clearly a lot of money and he still cant entice a Free Agent QB here.

Its one thing to debate that a player would prefer Hamilton.  But Ottawa? 

I really want to know what made burris sign there and not here.  What is actually going on here.  If we lose several key free agents, the story will be telling.

Walters really f*cked this up big time.  His rookie colors are coming through here.  I was a Walters supporter.  Not anymore. 

How? It was reported through this entire process the Winnipeg offer was the best on the table. What do you want him to do? Hold a gun to Burris? If a player doesn't want to play here, then they go elsewhere. If he doesn't want to be here, we shouldn't want him here either.

Walters has now had 2 prime opportunities to make this team a lot better and has failed both times.  Will he make it 0 for 3 on Willy? 

Again, the Bombers offer was the one with the most money. What else could he have done? If someone doesn't want to come here you can't force them. Period.

In the annoucement Ottawa said it was a 3 year deal.  Maybe that.  Heck, anything.  This team needs a proven QB more than anything (and for a long time now).  Just sick of the failures over and over again.  And we don't really know if our offer was higher.

Walters has now had 2 prime opportunities to make this team a lot better and has failed both times.  Will he make it 0 for 3 on Willy? 

Again, the Bombers offer was the one with the most money. What else could he have done? If someone doesn't want to come here you can't force them. Period.

In the annoucement Ottawa said it was a 3 year deal.  Maybe that.  Heck, anything.  This team needs a proven QB more than anything (and for a long time now).  Just sick of the failures over and over again.  And we don't really know if our offer was higher.

If it was merely a third year, so what?  Offer him 50 years if he wants.  Then release him.

Do we have to be surprised by this, to be upset about this?  The market is telling us that 2 FA's that WE COVETED don't view Winnipeg as anything more than a last resort. 

It's not the individual QB's that I'm upset we lost on.  It's the increasing likelihood that our greatest fear is coming true... that no one of any value wants to play here.

The coordinators are the least inspiring group I've ever seen, they made a lot of noise about getting a FA qb and struck out on the 2 that hit the market... Walters seems to give up a lot when he trades for pieces... it's just a lot of things starting to form a picture here. 

You're painting a pretty compelling picture.  I don't want to agree with you, but I'm starting to.  I'll give him free agency and the draft before grading him... but it is becoming clearer that not enough has changed in Bomber-land.

Pretty big let down again... 3 FA QBs choose not to sign here, for whatever reason.

Walters ****** up.  When the team/city/fanbase has been suffering for 6 seasons, you make it so that the FA Have no choice but to come here, whether you pay through the nose for the QB or do whatever you need to do.

Burris would have made an immediate difference, and given the team, prospective Free agents and fans hope for the season..  Pay him 400-450 K per year if that's what it takes.. Your team has suffered at the QB position since we CUT kevin Glenn.   Build off the QB and once you have a solid team you can cut the high price QB if he doesn't justify the Salary.

So... we go with Hall, Goltz and who?   Willy?   He looked good in limited action on a championchip team.   We aren't going to pay big money for him and why would you? Hes unproven.

I care less and less about this team.. Sad, Maybe not a fan? Whatever.. Been a diehard since i can remeber going to games with my dad.. But this slow drain into the toilet for the past 6 years is wearing too much on me.. 

Why is Ottawa not getting heat for this. You drafted Glenn if the plan was to sign Burris all along why didn't you pick a import from Calgary that could fill a hole in your starting line up. Also you would freed up a couple Canadians that the Stamps did not have protect. If they don't get anything for Glenn or he never takes a snap in a meaningful situation its a waste.

This says more about Ottawa I think. In four years that franchise will be folding again. This was a terrible move and a bad waste of resources.

Bad waste of resources?   How so?  They can cut anyone before training camp without paying a dime.  This will make the team competitve and make it easier to sign FA when the FA know what type of players will be on the team.

Hmm.. Sign with a team that has a future Hall of Famer, or sign with a team that has no really QB, and who's offence has been horrible for 5 + seasons with different OCs, gms and coaches.. And has a bunch of rookies running the team.. 

I was hoping for the best.. But things are trending the opposite direction..