Penton: Burris likely headed to Winnipeg?

gbill2004

Looks like it's basically Collaros or nothing for Bomber fans. Then Miller & Walters better get busy & make sure he comes here or else.

In your statement, does that make Drew Willy the nothing?

And "or else"?  Yikes!

Personally, I wouldn't mind the Drew Willy (alone) scenario, and yes that would mean less experience, but if Hamilton doesn't sign Burris, how is their situation going to be any different?

I just think that if Collaros signs in Hamilton, the Bomber fanbase is going to explode with criticism. The fans almost expect this to be a done deal & reading the comments here it does nothing to change my opinion. Everything else will be a poor second or even third best. That's my "Or Else" scenario. The honeymoon with Miller & Walters will be over. 

Looks like it's basically Collaros or nothing for Bomber fans. Then Miller & Walters better get busy & make sure he comes here or else.

Not at all. Some fans here feel that way, but I guarantee the average fan would be thrilled to hear we've acquired a veteran QB like Burris, 38 years old or not.

Hope you're right. I dunno. See my comments above...

Not at all. Some fans here feel that way, but I guarantee the average fan would be thrilled to hear we've acquired a veteran QB like Burris, 38 years old or not.

And they'll be thrilled with 6-12 (Durant, Lulay, Mitchell/Tate, Reilly...we'd be starting the season with undoubtedly the worst QB in our division, at 39 years old) and back at square one in the year we host the Grey Cup.

Better build a 2011 defence.

I think most casual fans would be happy with either one, provided the news tells them they should be excited.

Meanwhile, the hardcore fan would prefer Collaros or Willy.  But that doesn't matter because we buy tickets no matter what. 

I'd prefer neither, but wouldn't be opposed to bringing either of them in.

I think most casual fans would be happy with either one, provided the news tells them they should be excited.

The casual fans are easily pleased in the offseason. Sign someone they've heard up and blow so much smoke up their asses and they'll lap it up. Then once the team loses a game everyone is going to be screaming for people to be fired. 

The casual fans are easily pleased in the offseason. Sign someone they've heard up and blow so much smoke up their asses and they'll lap it up. Then once the team loses a game everyone is going to be screaming for people to be fired. 

Well, if they blow that much smoke up their asses, they'll be screaming for an entirely different reason.

Besides, there's always butt plugs like Mr Ruleless that casual fans can be directed to.

I'd take Burris.  At least we'd have someone that can read a blitz, throw a long ball, or escape the pocket while still looking up field.  He has years on him, but also many years not playing (NFL).  He has not had concussion issues, leaving his decision making is quick.  I'm not touting him as the next one, but at least we'd be competitive on a game-to-game basis.  

Buck played to not lose.  Burris plays to win.  There is a difference.

I'd take Burris.  At least we'd have someone that can read a blitz, throw a long ball, or escape the pocket while still looking up field.  He has years on him, but also many years not playing (NFL).  He has not had concussion issues, leaving his decision making is quick.  I'm not touting him as the next one, but at least we'd be competitive on a game-to-game basis.  

And there's a difference between playing to win and being stupid and taking unnecessary risks and forcing things that aren't there that costs you games. At 39 he still hasn't found that happy medium.

The only thing I could disagree with here is the Buck line and I know why you've said it.

It was that asinine decision to have a protective package to "shield" Buck from getting hit. Instead, he got hit worse than ever because...because he is a scrambling QB who was told not to scramble. Duh.

The fact that that offence was directed by a HC who played not to lose was the final straw.

Buck couldn't last more than 3 games…Burris played in all 18 games last year, so there's the difference.

https://soundcloud.com/am900chml/henry-burris-talks-about-his

Also I disagree with the notion that Buck played not to lose. IMO you don't play the way that Buck did just to avoid losing, you do it to win.

All I can think is.... And there's another 3 yard out on 2nd and 10.  He's comes on Mike Renaud to punt for the 7th time this half.

And there's a difference between playing to win and being stupid and taking unnecessary risks and forcing things that aren't there that costs you games. At 39 he still hasn't found that happy medium.

Notice I said his decision making was quick, not that his decision making was necessarily always the best.  

I'd rather see the QB attempt to do something rather than taking 5 seconds to watch his 1st and 2nd read, and then getting sacked.  To me it's like taking a knee in a tie game with 23 seconds on the clock when you've only won 3 games all year.

https://soundcloud.com/am900chml/henry-burris-talks-about-his

Also I disagree with the notion that Buck played not to lose. IMO you don't play the way that Buck did just to avoid losing, you do it to win.

All I can think is.... And there's another 3 yard out on 2nd and 10.  He's comes on Mike Renaud to punt for the 7th time this half.

Is that all on Buck though ?

Seems to me that happened a lot this season as well.

As a side note, I'd be good with bringing in Burris for a couple of season to be "the guy", but only if we bring in Marsh to be the future.

The future needs to be now for this franchise.

What if Willy or Collaros bomb here in the early going, does this fanbase have the patience to deal with that ?

Not saying that they will bomb or anything, just a thought.