Penton: Burris likely headed to Winnipeg?

gbill2004

From today's Winnipeg Sun:

It was a year ago this week that the Edmonton Eskimos traded for Mike Reilly to get exclusive negotiating rights with the quarterback two weeks before he was set to become a free agent.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers might want to do the same with Zach Collaros if they really desire his services, because there are rumblings in the CFL right now that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats could be a destination for the Toronto Argonauts backup.

The Bombers are the only team without a bona fide No. 1 quarterback right now, so the thinking is Collaros, who sources say is looking at Gil Scott or Dan Vertlieb to represent him in his upcoming negotiations, will head to Winnipeg on Feb. 15.

Not so fast, as it appears the Hamilton Tiger-Cats will figure significantly into what happens with Winnipeg's quarterback situation -- for two reasons.

First of all, there are more than a few people throughout the CFL who think veteran Henry Burris will end up signing in Winnipeg when he becomes a free agent on Feb. 15.

"Three people told me today they think Burris will end up in Winnipeg over the Ticats," a CFL source told the Sun.

Burris wouldn't exactly be a long-term answer for the Blue and Gold, as he will turn 39 years old during the first week of training camp, but he would give the reeling franchise an instant upgrade and be an excellent mentor for the team's young pivots.

The second factor in all of this is the Ticats are apparently very interested in bringing Collaros to Steeltown. They have not made any offers to Burris, and a source said the Ticats are hoping Collaros hears about their interest through the league grapevine. The Tabbies also have Dan LeFevour and Jeremiah Masoli in the fold, so Collaros could conceivably have a shot at the No. 1 gig there with Burris out of the picture.

Sources say the Bombers aren't convinced Collaros is a sure-fire No. 1 gun given his limited starting experience and wouldn't mind having a more experienced pivot on the roster to go along with him.

The way it's looking now, they might end up getting the experienced quarterback instead of Collaros.

Well this is certainly one possibility....the thing I don't like is this statement

"Burris wouldn't exactly be a long-term answer for the Blue and Gold, as he will turn 39 years old during the first week of training camp, but he would give the reeling franchise an instant upgrade and be an excellent mentor for the team's young pivots."

I don't think we have any young pivots who I think are the long term answer for the day Burris shuffles off into the sunset. If we were to sign Burris, and if the bombers don't bring in any other pivots with all the necessary tools, then I think this is a bad plan.

I would assume the plan would include trying to go after Drew Willy too or bring in a prospect of our own, but I still want Collaros. How are we going to win a late season home game in frigid Winnipeg with Burris as our QB?

By the way, I don't think this thread title is that accurate. Penton says a source told him three people think Burris goes to Winnipeg. What three people? Are those three people more in the know than the people who form the group that allows Penton to make the statement that "the thinking is Collaros will head to Winnipeg"?

This article just seems like another attempt by Penton to stir things up. I'll wait until February 15.

I don't know. Not a big deal or whatever, but I certainly wouldn't say it's likely. It's probably a realistic option, but I don't see anything in there that would make me think it's necessarily the primary or likely one.

EDIT: just for the record, I don't doubt that maybe it IS the primary option. I just don't get that from the tone of this article.

I take the article for what it is worth…at this time of year…with not much else happening, and it sounds pretty much like we would say right here on this board.

People are talking in the exact way he is describing…on fan boards, so although the credibility may be lacking, there is some substance behind these rumours because whether we like it or not, it makes sense.

The one part I do find intriguing is the question of Collaros being a sure fire #1 QB.

Ever since O'Shea has been hired as HC I'm sure Walters, Miller have been all over O'Shea on the merits of going heavily after Collaros.

I'd find it interesting to hear what O'Shea had to O'Say about him.

Is he not totally sold on him?

Of course we'll never know but I'm sure our QB plans include an A plan, B plan etc. 

I sure as hell want a QB that we can finally say is our #1 and I would hope it's this year, but I'm willing to wait a bit longer as long as the end message doesn't include "we're sticking with what we have and are scheming an offence around them."

Just say no to Burris. Biggest piece of **** in all sports.

But if Collaros choses Hamilton then what do we do? Go with Willy and Hall this year? I can't stand Burris either but the one thing I can't stand even more is losing.

In all honesty, I would rather go through another year like last year than cheer for Burris. 

Penton is just spewing BS.  First he says "plenty of chatter that the bombers are going after Burris" and links his article.  So his article is apparently the "chatter" he's talking about?  Then he's saying that Collaros is the bombers first choice.  So what is it, are they going after Collaros or Burris.  Speak more clearly you tool.  Yes, they will go after Burris, if they can't get Collaros.  He puts a spin on things to make it sound like something it isn't.

Just because Hamilton has interest in him, what makes you think he's going to pick them over us?  In his story Hamilton states that Collaros will be trying out for the #1 spot.  Coming here pretty much guarantees a #1 job unless they bring Burris here too.

Plenty of chatter out there that Henry Burris will end up joining the #Bombers instead of Zach Collaros. #CFL http://ht.ly/t1hFp 

Patrick Sokoliuk ‏@Pat_Sokol3h

@PentonKirk Not sure I care for that move how bout yourself ? #BlueBumblers

@Pat_Sokol If Collaros ends up in Hamilton, Bombers -- barring a trade -- won't have a choice but to sign Burris.

@PentonKirk True but Collaros is still the Bumblers first choice ?

@Pat_Sokol I believe so, yes.

While I'd rather not have to go through a season or two of good hank bad hank, I absolutely do not want to see another season of 2013. If avoiding that means bringing in Henry for a season or two until the next guy is ready, then I suppose I can deal with that. Still not sold on Collaros nor Willy, but if that's all the team is going to look at, then I suppose I should look at it in the sense that at least our Qb's won't be as bad as last season.

If Burris signs here early, Willy may just decide to re-sign with the Riders. If he's going to be a back up it may make more sense to be with the coaching staff he knows and the team that will give him the best chance at collecting the extra playoff $$. If Collaros decides to sign with Hamilton, the Bombers should then focus on signing Willy then Burris. Burris would have no better option other than perhaps being a back up in Montreal.

But if Collaros choses Hamilton then what do we do? Go with Willy and Hall this year? I can't stand Burris either but the one thing I can't stand even more is losing.

In all honesty, I would rather go through another year like last year than cheer for Burris. 

Put your angst on the shelf for a second and just really think about what you just typed there.  No one says you have to cheer for Burris.  Cheer for the team.

Plus, Burris > Status Quo

Put your angst on the shelf for a second and just really think about what you just typed there.  No one says you have to cheer for Burris.  Cheer for the team.

Plus, Burris > Status Quo

Oh trust me I have thought about it, and Burris in a Bomber jersey is a nightmare. It would make it very very hard to cheer for the team so I'd rather go through a shitty season where I know I can cheer for them than have to endure Burris in that jersey. Yes I hate Burris that much.