Penton: Burris likely headed to Winnipeg?

gbill2004

A starter salary in the CFL for a guy of his experience will be a huge chunk of the salary cap. You think we'll pick him up for $150,000? Not a chance. If the Bombers sign him it won't be for chump change even if you think he has no leverage. As I said, they'll pay him for what befits a guy of his experience should make.

Why? Because you say so? lol

I don't get why you feel like when someone else has a point they're making, you're the first one to demand source materials or some kind of proof but you just think it's okay that your argument can be "because I say so"

Burris isn't hitting free agency because he's a hot commodity that will instigate a bidding war. If he hits free agency, it's because the team that had him doesn't want him. It's the same as with any player who is declined an offer by their old team. They don't hit the open market with much, if any, leverage to command whatever they want.

Burris will still have all the leverage. Because if Collaros is already off the market, the Bombers have no options for a starting QB other than Burris, unless they are really willing to roll the dice on Willy or Hall. And after last season, everyone knows the Bombers do not want to run the risk of another quarterback disaster. Burris could easily just retire. He will be able to squeeze the Bombers for every penny, no question.

A starter salary in the CFL for a guy of his experience will be a huge chunk of the salary cap. You think we'll pick him up for $150,000? Not a chance. If the Bombers sign him it won't be for chump change even if you think he has no leverage. As I said, they'll pay him for what befits a guy of his experience should make.

I don't get why you feel like when someone else has a point they're making, you're the first one to demand source materials or some kind of proof but you just think it's okay that your argument can be "because I say so"

Burris isn't hitting free agency because he's a hot commodity that will instigate a bidding war. If he hits free agency, it's because the team that had him doesn't want him. It's the same as with any player who is declined an offer by their old team. They don't hit the open market with much, if any, leverage to command whatever they want.

Burris will still have all the leverage. Because if Collaros is already off the market, the Bombers have no options for a starting QB other than Burris, unless they are really willing to roll the dice on Willy or Hall. And after last season, everyone knows the Bombers do not want to run the risk of another quarterback disaster. Burris could easily just retire. He will be able to squeeze the Bombers for every penny, no question.

No chance, the ego is too great. He'll play at a lower salary rather than retire. 

No chance, the ego is too great. He'll play at a lower salary rather than retire. 

No chance, the ego is too great.  He'll retire before playing for anything less than a starter's salary.

Let's be objective here..."fans" if the money were equal would Collaris go to a team in a 4 team division that has just been to the Cup or a team in a 5 team division that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in ........interesting comparison of options

Hamilton is the more logical choice, they have a lot more to offer him (a team on the rise and winning, better coaching staff, location, etc). The only thing the Bombers can sell Collaros on is that he'd be the guaranteed starter.

We could always make a trade to bring in a young QB...............................

wonder what Wally would give for one of his two backups....hmmmm....

Not the potential player I was thinking of.

We could always make a trade to bring in a young QB...............................

wonder what Wally would give for one of his two backups....hmmmm....

Not the potential player I was thinking of.

Maybe if we can re-sign Henoc we can trade him for Buck Pierce and Joey Elliot? That should solidify our QB position.

Let's be objective here..."fans" if the money were equal would Collaris go to a team in a 4 team division that has just been to the Cup or a team in a 5 team division that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in ........interesting comparison of options

"Hasn't sniffed the playoffs in" 2 seasons.

Is Hamilton really a team on the rise or did having Burris help them have a good year in a weaker division? You can make an argument that Toronto is the team to beat still in the East and that Montreal is as on the rise as Hamilton.

Better location? Hamilton isn't on anybody's list of places to live that I've ever read.

Hamilton's new stadium pales in comparison to ours.

Winnipeg has a larger and more passionate fan base.

Kent Austin has never nutured a QB, both years he won with vets.

Reebus, agree with most you say. I think Hamilton is a choice destination for FA's only because of geographic location in Southern Ontario. Our own HC made a career out of switching back & forth between the Argos & Ti Cats. You don't see that so much out West or in Ottawa & Montreal because you'd actually have to move if you switched teams.