Penton: Burris likely headed to Winnipeg?

gbill2004

You know what, Mike? You're always right & I'm always wrong when it comes to football so from now on I'll just go with whatever you say. I don't know **** when it comes to you,  man, How could I have thought what I thought? You're the Alpha Male around here. Sorry, I upset you. You want me to clear all my messages  with you first before I post them?

Or you could just, you know ... not be such a whiner when someone replies to your strongly worded opinion with strong words.

Whiner? Whatever you think, dude, You don't reply. Look in a mirror before you criticize anyone else. 

Not sure what you're getting at. All I'm saying is your opinions come across as very matter of fact and concrete, but whenever anyone replies to you with the same tone, you go off on this tangent like the one that starts this string of quotes. I don't know why you choose to get all up in arms about it, I'm not attacking you, I'm just replying to you in the exact same tone. At the end of the day, this is the internet. You need to just relax a smidge.

I don't understand the massive hate for Burris.... while not the guy who will lead us to some great dynasty... the guy clearly is way better then  anyone we currently have and he has been way better then Buck had played over the last few seasons.  

He'd definitely give us 1 - 2 seasons of GOOD QB play.   It's not like this team is anywhere near competing for the Cup anytime soon so does it really matter if he has to play out in the cold a few times a year?   

At least during the Summer months we can go out and not pray/hope that whatever qb playing (Pierce/Hall/Goltz) would have a great day and throw for a whopping 200 yards.,..

It would be nice for once to have a qb who can actually throw the ball down the field instead of floating it.      

I think the concern (and rightfully so) over Burris is that he is a band-aid solution at best. At 39 years old, while he would give us good play at the position we are right back to square one come 2016 (Assuming Collaros indeed goes to Hamilton and we don't sign Willy as well). The argument that he's bad in cold weather is justified to a degree, but we certainly won't be Grey Cup contenders this year, and it's unlikely we will be contenders in 2015 as well with how much work this team needs so I'm not sure I'd be stressing to much about play come November when we won't have legitimate shot at competing for a championship anyway.

You know what, Mike? You're always right & I'm always wrong when it comes to football so from now on I'll just go with whatever you say. I don't know **** when it comes to you,  man, How could I have thought what I thought? You're the Alpha Male around here. Sorry, I upset you. You want me to clear all my messages  with you first before I post them?

Or you could just, you know ... not be such a whiner when someone replies to your strongly worded opinion with strong words.

Whiner? Whatever you think, dude, You don't reply. Look in a mirror before you criticize anyone else. 

Not sure what you're getting at. All I'm saying is your opinions come across as very matter of fact and concrete, but whenever anyone replies to you with the same tone, you go off on this tangent like the one that starts this string of quotes. I don't know why you choose to get all up in arms about it, I'm not attacking you, I'm just replying to you in the exact same tone. At the end of the day, this is the internet. You need to just relax a smidge.

Okay, sure. Whatever you say. That was two pages back & no one wants to endure us going at it. So drop it.  You're innocent. End of story. 

If Burris is not going to make us a contender why even bother

Avoid slagging ticket sales, being the laughing stock of the league again, etc. The problems on this team go beyond just the quarterback position. It needs a lot of help elsewhere too. Burris himself is not going to make this a championship football team.

Agree. I still hope we sign Collaros but a veteran guy like Burris may give us a chance to add more than a few pieces around him while becoming competitive allowing a younger qb to take over in a couple of years & have success. 

Is Hamilton really a team on the rise or did having Burris help them have a good year in a weaker division? You can make an argument that Toronto is the team to beat still in the East and that Montreal is as on the rise as Hamilton.

Better location? Hamilton isn't on anybody's list of places to live that I've ever read.

Hamilton's new stadium pales in comparison to ours.

Winnipeg has a larger and more passionate fan base.

Kent Austin has never nutured a QB, both years he won with vets.

I suppose we'll find out in 2014 if Hamilton is on the rise and they look a lot better than Winnipeg does.

By better location I meant closer to his off season home and family.

Yeah, we do have the better stadium................. but I hope that's not our biggest selling point.

Winnipeg does have a larger per game attendance, so I suppose Collaros could see that as a plus. However IMO it's a disservice to other teams fans to say that our fanbase is more passionate then their's. The Ti-cats do have a very passionate group of hardcore fans, just maybe not as many individuals as we have. It's like saying I'm more passionate about the Bombers than bluto is about the Argonauts, and IMO that simply isn't true.

Think of this objectively, would you rather be offensively coached by Marcel Bellefueille or Kent Austin and Tommy Condell ?

Henry Burris should be the last resort.  If they can't get either Collaros or Willy then look at Burris.

It's funny that this article makes no mention of Drew Willy and that he might also be an option.  I wonder if that's how the Bombers feel or if Penton just missed the obvious?

Something else I found funny in the article was this line: "he would be an excellent mentor for the team's young pivots."

I think Burris would be fine, as long as he's starting.  Once he has to sit down for the younger guy I could see him pouting on the sidelines and being more of a distraction then a mentor.

The fans would turn on "bad Hank" so fast...I can't see it being a good situation.

That being said, with Burris at the helm I could see this team reaching a 9 - 9 record and so after the debacle of last season the football club may see that as something they need to bring to the fans.  A 9 - 9 team would at least be in the hunt for the play-offs, although I don't think it would be enough to make the play-offs in the West. 

I just can't see a Burris/Bombers relationship ending well though.

If Burris is not going to make us a contender why even bother

Avoid slagging ticket sales, being the laughing stock of the league again, etc. The problems on this team go beyond just the quarterback position. It needs a lot of help elsewhere too. Burris himself is not going to make this a championship football team.

Burris doesn't make anyone a championship team. His one Grey Cup is a fluke plain and simple. Was against Montreal right? So call it the choker bowl (it was in a dome too right). Lot of really good stamps teams that Burris choked out of the playoffs, saw it last year too, played fine inside in the east final but get outside for the grey cup and he got hammered. If the guy could play in the cold he might be able to make the team a contender but as it stands he's only good in the summer. What good is that? I'd rather Kevin Glenn cause at least he's not a douchebag to go along with his choking and fair weather play. 

Is Hamilton really a team on the rise or did having Burris help them have a good year in a weaker division? You can make an argument that Toronto is the team to beat still in the East and that 

Hamilton was a good team despite having Burris at QB.  This crap going around that Burris is still even a good starting QB because he throws for a bunch of yards (although he stats look a lot better relatively because the 3 best QB's in the league were all injured for long stretches) and took Hamilton to the Grey Cup is garbage.  Look at how much he turned the ball over, look at how the confidence in him from the coaching staff in Hamilton waned as the season went on to the point that they aren't even interested in having him back.  Yes he had a very good East Final, but a season is 18 games long.  It's as crazy as saying Buck Pierce is a great QB because he led the Bombers to the Grey Cup.  All signing Burris as a starter would do is stall QB development in Winnipeg and kill our chances of contending when we host a Grey Cup in 2015 or 2016, similar to what our dance with Buck the 4 seasons has done for us.  Signing Burris would be a massive disappointment for anyone who wants to put a team that has a chance to win a Grey Cup on the field anytime soon.

Is Hamilton really a team on the rise or did having Burris help them have a good year in a weaker division? You can make an argument that Toronto is the team to beat still in the East and that 

Hamilton was a good team despite having Burris at QB.  This crap going around that Burris is still even a good starting QB because he throws for a bunch of yards (although he stats look a lot better relatively because the 3 best QB's in the league were all injured for long stretches) and took Hamilton to the Grey Cup is garbage.  Look at how much he turned the ball over, look at how the confidence in him from the coaching staff in Hamilton waned as the season went on to the point that they aren't even interested in having him back.  Yes he had a very good East Final, but a season is 18 games long.  It's as crazy as saying Buck Pierce is a great QB because he led the Bombers to the Grey Cup.  All signing Burris as a starter would do is stall QB development in Winnipeg and kill our chances of contending when we host a Grey Cup in 2015 or 2016, similar to what our dance with Buck the 4 seasons has done for us.  Signing Burris would be a massive disappointment for anyone who wants to put a team that has a chance to win a Grey Cup on the field anytime soon.

We certainly can't maintain what we currently have though, can we?  Damned if we do and damned if we don't...

All signing Burris as a starter would do is stall QB development in Winnipeg and kill our chances of contending when we host a Grey Cup in 2015 or 2016, similar to what our dance with Buck the 4 seasons has done for us.  

Well Pierce might have worked out if they hadn't tossed aside the guys who were supposed to be developing behind him before they had a chance to run with it. Bottom line though is when there are some of the backups around who might be ready to take on a starting role we should sign one of those guys rather than Burris just because Burris is never going to win another Grey Cup and he'll be retired sooner rather than later. 

All signing Burris as a starter would do is stall QB development in Winnipeg and kill our chances of contending when we host a Grey Cup in 2015 or 2016, similar to what our dance with Buck the 4 seasons has done for us.  

Well Pierce might have worked out if they hadn't tossed aside the guys who were supposed to be developing behind him before they had a chance to run with it. Bottom line though is when there are some of the backups around who might be ready to take on a starting role we should sign one of those guys rather than Burris just because Burris is never going to win another Grey Cup and he'll be retired sooner rather than later. 

And by "guys" you mean Joey Elliott ........?

Burris, Collaros and Willy all have their advantages and disadvantages.  I see these as the potential options for the Bombers:

Option A: Collaros

Option B: Burris & Willy

As much as I want Collaros, option B might be the better option.  Sets us up nicely short and long term.  Williy might be a better QB than Collaros. 

Looks like it's basically Collaros or nothing for Bomber fans. Then Miller & Walters better get busy & make sure he comes here or else.

In your statement, does that make Drew Willy the nothing?

And "or else"?  Yikes!

Personally, I wouldn't mind the Drew Willy (alone) scenario, and yes that would mean less experience, but if Hamilton doesn't sign Burris, how is their situation going to be any different?

And by "guys" you mean Joey Elliott ........?

Or Brink. You don't get a guy as a bridge veteran qb and then dump the guys you've invested 3 years in developing without seeing what they can do. That was a stupid move and I said in the offseason it was going to cost a lot of people their jobs and lo and behold a lot of people got fired.