Bob Wylie as OL coach?

gbill2004

I read on a couple other forums that Bob Wylie is rumoured to be the Bombers next OL coach. I think he'd be a great hire. Edmonton rumoured to also be interested.

Stubler was rumoured to be coming here as well so until there is announcement, I won't  put a lot of stock in rumours.  

Talent on the field is more important than coaching, especially at the key positions like QB. 

If you think Huffer or Trestman would have somehow made Max Hall into a world beater than you are well, delusional. 

These players have been playing the game for 20 years. The margin for improvement at the pro level is marginal. They are basically as big, fast, and talented as they are going to get. 

That's why the GM (and scouting) is so important -- all the scheming and pre-game speeches won't matter a lick if guys are slow or just plain suck.

Talent on the field is more important than coaching, especially at the key positions like QB. 

If you think Huffer or Trestman would have somehow made Max Hall into a world beater than you are well, delusional. 

These players have been playing the game for 20 years. The margin for improvement at the pro level is marginal. They are basically as big, fast, and talented as they are going to get. 

That's why the GM (and scouting) is so important -- all the scheming and pre-game speeches won't matter a lick if guys are slow or just plain suck.

Not everything is as black and white as you paint it. Nobody is talking about coaching Max Hall into a world beater, but rather coaching him to the point

he is as good as possible, given the conditions physically and mentally, that he has to work with. Also coaching him up to take full advantage of the

schemes, and help that he receives, or doesn't, from his offensive teammates.

Sure scouting is important...I would certainly hope that they don't bring in players who just "suck".

Not everything is as black and white as you paint it. Nobody is talking about coaching Max Hall into a world beater, but rather coaching him to the point

he is as good as possible, given the conditions physically and mentally, that he has to work with. Also coaching him up to take full advantage of the

schemes, and help that he receives, or doesn't, from his offensive teammates.

Sure scouting is important...I would certainly hope that they don't bring in players who just "suck".

Exactly Blitz.  I've seen teams go from losers to championship winners in 1 year with barely any change in the team lineup.  I've seen it happen in the NFL, NCAA, CFL, etc....  The right coach that can inspire you to win and do your best is 10X better then having the best players on your team and having a **** coach that does nothing but bring you down and point out everyone's faults.  A good coach can inspire you and make you lose your jitteriness before a game.  He can make players make plays that normally they'd hesitate to make.  These 2 things can make a HUGE difference in a game.  Take away Hall's jitteriness and all of a sudden he's a QB that has composure and keeps his foot planted.  Sure he can't launch the ball down the field, but even with a weak arm, can makes 10-15 yard plays, and doesn't hesitate when he sees an open man.  On the other hand, a **** coach neither inspires nor does he build confidence in his players.  He makes his players feel inadequate, and that if they make mistakes they're going to lose their job.  So they become jittery, they not only make mistakes, but they make big ones.  They drop passes, throw in-completions, etc... because no one believes in them.  In turns Hall, Goltz, Elliott, etc... into QB that look like they're crap.

Coach's make ALL the difference on a team.  I'm not saying you don't need some good players on your team, but any team, no matter how bad they are, can be a lot better with the right coach.

There are two things that make all the difference in the CFL, Coaching and quarterbacking. And do you think that it's a coincidence that Hufnagel had 3 qbs he could throw onto the field? Good coaches get the most out of their teams. If Tim Burke had been coaching Calgary or Saskatchewan they'd have been shitty teams this year too. 

I'll never believe good coaching doesn't have a tremendous effect on players whether they're borderline or talented.

Of course the more talented a team, the further that team goes----unless they have poor coaching and visa versa, a poor team can be coached to at least acceptable levels.

You need all the levels to be successful, especially at QB….but without that coach….mediocrity prevails.

There are two things that make all the difference in the CFL, Coaching and quarterbacking. And do you think that it's a coincidence that Hufnagel had 3 qbs he could throw onto the field? Good coaches get the most out of their teams. If Tim Burke had been coaching Calgary or Saskatchewan they'd have been shitty teams this year too. 

Look at the QB's Calgary had to work with versus the garbage that WPG has?

Calgary has had a vastly superior GM and as a result, a superior pipeline to quality players. 

If Huff was coaching Max Hall and the funky bunch he'd have a shitty year too.

Look at the QB's Calgary had to work with versus the garbage that WPG has?

Calgary has had a vastly superior GM and as a result, a superior pipeline to quality players. 

If Huff was coaching Max Hall and the funky bunch he'd have a shitty year too.

Kevin Glenn wasn't good enough in Winnipeg or Hamilton but he was good enough for Hufnagel....