BIg rumor concerning DC position

Mike

Rumor has it we will be naming Rich Stubler our new DC. Huge if true.

I was hoping for this, so good news if it ends up happening.

Makes sense as well, Stubler was always very high on O'Shea and there's a big trust factor between the two.

Something I found interesting on a Google search:

Phillips and a few other defensive mates were livid after the loss Sunday, and while there were no names mentioned it was impossible not to recognize the target of their collective angst was defensive coordinator Rich Stubler.

It’s the players who are asked to perform, but it’s the work of the coordinators to put them in the right positions, and several Lions veterans seemed to be suggesting they weren’t responding to the way the  Roughriders played the fourth quarter.

That was after the playoff loss (link).  

Regardless after giving it some thought this is a pretty solid hire for O'Shea.  Stubler has a proven track record (one that has more success than failure) and one that has a lot of experience in this league (valuable considering how young this whole staff is).  While O'Shea is a huge wild card, I would argue he can't possibly be any worse than Burke and so this makes it 2/2 in upgrades at the coaching staff spots right now in my opinion.

stubler and o'shea have a history so thats a plus and his experience will go a long way with o'shea and even walters.. but personally never been a huge fan of his weird defenses...

cautiously optimistic.. that seems to be my mantra of this upcoming season..

Prefer Burke but this is a good thing. Someone want to explain his tendencies on defence?

His defensive philosophy  is "bend but don't break". It works, but personally I hate it. I would much rather have Noel Thorpe's defense in Montreal, but that's just me.

Here is an "oldie" that talks about Stubler and O'shea

http://www.cfl.ca/article/landry-stubler-s-defence-looks-familiar-to-argos

From past experience, players that know Stubler's system that are FA's on other teams want to play under him again. So, if this is true & he is our DC I would expect there would be a lot of interest for free agents to sign here.

Who do you think we could snag? I'm sure there are some FA in Toronto that would love to play for O'Shea too. Just need the right OC now. I wonder if O'Shea/Stubler could convince Barron Miles to come here too. Mark Washington will probably be DC in BC now.

From past experience, players that know Stubler's system that are FA's on other teams want to play under him again. So, if this is true & he is our DC I would expect there would be a lot of interest for free agents to sign here.

Who do you think we could snag? I'm sure there are some FA in Toronto that would love to play for O'Shea too. Just need the right OC now. I wonder if O'Shea/Stubler could convince Barron Miles to come here too. Mark Washington will probably be DC in BC now.

When Stubler went to BC from Toronto a couple of FA's followed him out west. If some Lions FA defensive players follow him here, I say... C'mon down!!!

Something I found interesting on a Google search:

Phillips and a few other defensive mates were livid after the loss Sunday, and while there were no names mentioned it was impossible not to recognize the target of their collective angst was defensive coordinator Rich Stubler.

It’s the players who are asked to perform, but it’s the work of the coordinators to put them in the right positions, and several Lions veterans seemed to be suggesting they weren’t responding to the way the  Roughriders played the fourth quarter.

That was after the playoff loss (link).  

Regardless after giving it some thought this is a pretty solid hire for O'Shea.  Stubler has a proven track record (one that has more success than failure) and one that has a lot of experience in this league (valuable considering how young this whole staff is).  While O'Shea is a huge wild card, I would argue he can't possibly be any worse than Burke and so this makes it 2/2 in upgrades at the coaching staff spots right now in my opinion.

The vets on that BC defence really like their scapegoats. Last year it was all Cauchy Muamba's fault. Apparently this year they're picking Stubler to blame their early exit on.