BIg rumor concerning DC position

Mike

Regardless of who's D, mainor, dunn, cauchy, bstew (!), JJ. - all of them could be gone... Add a replacement for hall and that's half of your D.

What was wrong with Dunn? For a rookie he seemed to play pretty well. Stewart is a guy that I wouldn't write off yet either, I'd say he gets a chance to rebound cause he is that guy with good size that everyone around here seems to be screaming to find. Mainor I wouldn't call a starter either, he's a depth guy and has been for pretty much his whole career here.

Stewart really disappointed me last year, I wouldn't be upset if we bring back Stewart, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if we let him walk either

I couldn't care less if mainor is brought back or not. The guy gets more production as a part timer than he does full time. I'd rather find some new ends

Cauchy's football IQ is either in the basement, or he's just that physically slow/not physically inclined.  Whatever it is, he's pure garbage, good at tackling a guy who's stumbling after a 50 yard play.  The only good thing he did for us this season was when they just got sick of watching him trying to get in position to make a play on a pass that they started blitzing him on every passing down.

Regardless of who's D, mainor, dunn, cauchy, bstew (!), JJ. - all of them could be gone... Add a replacement for hall and that's half of your D.

What was wrong with Dunn? For a rookie he seemed to play pretty well. Stewart is a guy that I wouldn't write off yet either, I'd say he gets a chance to rebound cause he is that guy with good size that everyone around here seems to be screaming to find. Mainor I wouldn't call a starter either, he's a depth guy and has been for pretty much his whole career here.
Stewart really disappointed me last year, I wouldn't be upset if we bring back Stewart, but I certainly wouldn't be upset if we let him walk either

I couldn't care less if mainor is brought back or not. The guy gets more production as a part timer than he does full time. I'd rather find some new ends

Secondary really needs to start turning over.  The only guys I'd keep are Washington and Sears, maybe Jovon at a discount to play safety/dime.  Washington and Sears can really play anywhere, but I'd put them out at weak half and weak corner, bring in some young guys to play the wide-side of the field.

Stewart I think you give an opportunity to bounce back. Yeah you bring in competition but I am a proponent of giving guys who had a disappointing year the chance to rebound. 

Stewart I think you give an opportunity to bounce back. Yeah you bring in competition but I am a proponent of giving guys who had a disappointing year the chance to rebound. 

Especially after a year where 3/4 of the team checked out mentally after week 7. Let's see what those guys can do with a fresh perspective. If they continue to suck this year, it sounds like the new regime will be more than willing to show them the door.

bluto, given that Stubler has now left your 2 favorite teams, I would hardly call you impartial in this discussion.

Nobody brought the hat like that Argo D did, especially the half backs, the closet we have on the roster now is Sears but he is always injured, the rest are smurfs.

I don't think O'Shea's giving a token job to a friend. He knows he's gotta win, and he's not screwing around. If MOS is gonna bring Stubler in, then he's confident he'll be the right guy for what they're wanting to do here. Gotta trust MOS...

Stubler : A catch 22 for new regime. You need more expereince on the sideline but run the risk of being stuck with a "yesterday's man" type coach.

Yesterday's man? I don't think so. Not even close.

Fourth job in five years. Has to be said.

Stubler : A catch 22 for new regime. You need more expereince on the sideline but run the risk of being stuck with a "yesterday's man" type coach.

So what? He was promoted out of the DC job in Toronto, and left the Esks by his own decision. It's not like he's getting fired each time for fielding incompetent defenses.

What has to be said? That coaches move around? Look at Don Matthews. How many teams in the CFL did he coach with? Take a look at your boy Kent Austin. In 2006, he was fired as Argos OC. Moved to Sask & won a GC, then on to the Ivy League before coming back to the Ti Cats this year. That's 4 jobs in 7 years. He lost the GC this year so maybe he's "Yesterday's Man" too?

Rick Campbell went from the Esks to the Stamps back to the Esks then back to the Stamps & finally got hired as the HC in Ottawa. Mike Gibson was a coach in Winnipeg, went to Calgary & is now the OC in Ottawa. I can give you other examples but you get my drift by now.... Coaches move around. Nature of the business. But to say Stubler is Yesterday's Man because he's moved around, I disagree with.

I caught an Eskimo practice when Stubler was there and I have to say I've NEVER seen a coach more uninterested in my life. He's 64, 4 jobs in 5 years and runs a D that most people here say they hate: the bend but don't break. I'm going to give O'Shea the benefit of the doubt but this hire scares me.

You "caught" an Eskimos practice once & watched anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe two hours on the field. You based what you consider is his work ethic just on that. One practice for however long you were there. You never sat in on the defensive meetings. You never saw Stubler break down film. You never saw him conduct a defensive meeting with all of his players in the meeting rooms. You never saw the meetings he conducted with his defensive assistants focusing  on getting ready for the next opponent. You never saw the discussions he had with the Esks head coach at the time. You never saw the preparation that he may have done in the Eskimo offices. You don't know what was happening behind the scenes nor do you know what the defense was focusing on during practice that day. But simply based on your observations of one practice his potential hire scares you? We could hire Wally Buono & there'd be fans bitching about that, too. No matter what O'Shea does, someone will always be there to say whatever he does is a mistake.

Here's what I think. This  is O'Shea's first gig as a head coach. He can't afford to make a mistake & screw up hiring his coaches, especially at the coordinator positions. O'Shea trusts Stubler. He already knows the kind of coach that he is. Also, being an assistant coach in the CFL with the Argos he'd know thru the coaches grapevine if Stubler has become lazy & was just mailing it in with the Lions because he's 64. If O'Shea thinks Rich Stubler is the answer than have a little faith that he knows what he's doing hiring the guy. Stubler has proven he can run a great defense. I think having him here will be a great hire by Mike O'Shea.

I caught an Eskimo practice when Stubler was there and I have to say I've NEVER seen a coach more uninterested in my life. He's 64, 4 jobs in 5 years and runs a D that most people here say they hate: the bend but don't break. I'm going to give O'Shea the benefit of the doubt but this hire scares me.

You "caught" an Eskimos practice once & watched anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe two hours on the field. You based what you consider is his work ethic just on that. You never sat in on the defensive meetings. You never saw Stubler break down film. You never saw him conduct a defensive meeting with all of his players in the meeting rooms. You never saw the preparation that he may have done in the Eskimo offices. You don't know what was happening behind the scenes nor do you know what the defense was focusing on during that practice that day. But simply based on your observations of one practice his potential hire scares you? We could hire Wally Buono & there'd be fans bitching about that, too. Unbelievable.

You are correct which is why I am giving O'Shea the benefit of the doubt. Fact is though seen I've hundreds of practices but never seen what Stubler did that day. He sat on the bench and did not participate at all until his segment came up. I heard him make a joke about not wanting to get up, walked onto the field and right back to the bench when he was finished. I was astonished, never seen it before or since. He just looked like a burn out. I hope it's an anomaly.

You "caught" an Eskimos practice once & watched anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe two hours on the field. You based what you consider is his work ethic just on that. You never sat in on the defensive meetings. You never saw Stubler break down film. You never saw him conduct a defensive meeting with all of his players in the meeting rooms. You never saw the preparation that he may have done in the Eskimo offices. You don't know what was happening behind the scenes nor do you know what the defense was focusing on during that practice that day. But simply based on your observations of one practice his potential hire scares you? We could hire Wally Buono & there'd be fans bitching about that, too. Unbelievable.

You are correct which is why I am giving O'Shea the benefit of the doubt. Fact is though seen I've hundreds of practices but never seen what Stubler did that day. He sat on the bench and did not participate at all until his segment came up. I heard him make a joke about not wanting to get up, walked onto the field and right back to the bench when he was finished. I was astonished, never seen it before or since. He just looked like a burn out. I hope it's an anomaly.

You should also know then that on different days the defense will be participating more one practice & less the next therefore the DC will be coaching accordingly. CFL practices aren't very hard like they used to be.. There's no real  hitting in full pads anymore.  A lot of the practices aren't full speed. It's not like it was 30 years ago when coaches would have full contact drills in full pads. Times have changed.

I used to bike down as a teenager & go watch the Bombers when Jim Spavital  was head coach from 1970 thru the 73 season & those guys hit & hit & hit every practice all year. They were always in full equipment. Spavital was the kind of coach as was his DC at the time who were constantly in players faces screaming & yelling. They were never happy & never satisfied & let their players know it. The four letter words were flying in practice. They ruled by fear. Like I said, times have changed.

You "caught" an Eskimos practice once & watched anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe two hours on the field. You based what you consider is his work ethic just on that. One practice for however long you were there. You never sat in on the defensive meetings. You never saw Stubler break down film. You never saw him conduct a defensive meeting with all of his players in the meeting rooms. You never saw the meetings he conducted with his defensive assistants focusing  on getting ready for the next opponent. You never saw the discussions he had with the Esks head coach at the time. You never saw the preparation that he may have done in the Eskimo offices. You don't know what was happening behind the scenes nor do you know what the defense was focusing on during practice that day. But simply based on your observations of one practice his potential hire scares you? We could hire Wally Buono & there'd be fans bitching about that, too. No matter what O'Shea does, someone will always be there to say whatever he does is a mistake.

Here's what I think. This  is O'Shea's first gig as a head coach. He can't afford to make a mistake & screw up hiring his coaches, especially at the coordinator positions. O'Shea trusts Stubler. He already knows the kind of coach that he is. Also, being an assistant coach in the CFL with the Argos he'd know thru the coaches grapevine if Stubler has become lazy & was just mailing it in with the Lions because he's 64. If O'Shea thinks Rich Stubler is the answer than have a little faith that he knows what he's doing hiring the guy. Stubler has proven he can run a great defense. I think having him here will be a great hire by Mike O'Shea.

No offense, but we (you included) all do the same thing here every day. We use limited knowledge to form grand opinions about something we know nothing about. You despised Joe Mack and are worried about Kyle Walters in the same way, but you've never spent any time with them either. No different.

No offense, but we (you included) all do the same thing here every day. We use limited knowledge to form grand opinions about something we know nothing about. You despised Joe Mack and are worried about Kyle Walters in the same way, but you've never spent any time with them either. No different.

Personally, I never "despised" Joe Mack. I thought he was a pro, and when I found out his wife has cancer it answered a lot of questions about his detached approach to the CFL and commitment to keeping NC his home.

I did, however, "despise" our record, how the team played, how the team was managed, how coaches were hired and fired, and how we were the laughing stock of the entire league. 

So my point is, we all base our opinions on the on-field product. And I loved that D Stubler put out in Argo land. 

[Take a look at your boy Kent Austin. In 2006, he was fired as Argos OC. Moved to Sask & won a GC, then on to the Ivy League before coming back to the Ti Cats this year. That's 4 jobs in 7 years.

I think you missed a job. Argos - Riders - Mississippi - Cornell - Ticats. If you do his whole coaching career go from 2003-2013 and the Renegades to the list too.