BIg rumor concerning DC position

Mike

With a  3-4 we'll need active linebackers. Muamba would be a natural in one of the ILB positions.... Juwan Simpson is a FA & story in Calgary today is that his former DC Rick Campbell will try to sign him.... He'd look good here with Muamba as the 2 interior linebackers in a 3-4.

With a  3-4 we'll need active linebackers. Muamba would be a natural in one of the ILB positions.... Juwan Simpson is a FA & story in Calgary today is that his former DC Rick Campbell will try to sign him.... He'd look good here with Muamba as the 2 interior linebackers in a 3-4.

this guys will look good too here: Kyries Hebert (MTL), Damaso Munoz (EDM), Simone Lawrence (HAM)...

I'm also interested in  Marc-Olivier and/or  Brouillette Marc Calixte, we can do a 3 NI rotation in the ILB if we get one of those guys

Well, that's something else. Good experience for O'Shea to lean on. So, if they're looking in that direction for DC, do they try and find someone equally experienced on O, or are they okay with the relative rookie that is Khari? Things are trending upward...

Something I found interesting on a Google search:

Phillips and a few other defensive mates were livid after the loss Sunday, and while there were no names mentioned it was impossible not to recognize the target of their collective angst was defensive coordinator Rich Stubler.

It’s the players who are asked to perform, but it’s the work of the coordinators to put them in the right positions, and several Lions veterans seemed to be suggesting they weren’t responding to the way the  Roughriders played the fourth quarter.

That was after the playoff loss (link).  

Regardless after giving it some thought this is a pretty solid hire for O'Shea.  Stubler has a proven track record (one that has more success than failure) and one that has a lot of experience in this league (valuable considering how young this whole staff is).  While O'Shea is a huge wild card, I would argue he can't possibly be any worse than Burke and so this makes it 2/2 in upgrades at the coaching staff spots right now in my opinion.

The vets on that BC defence really like their scapegoats. Last year it was all Cauchy Muamba's fault. Apparently this year they're picking Stubler to blame their early exit on.

After watching Cauchy play last year, it's hard to disagree with them.

Stubler was released by the Lions today.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/12/07/lions-dump-rich-stubler/

You know, you gotta wonder about Benevides in BC. Getting rid of or mutually parting with two very proven and successful coordinators. Not saying he was wrong to do it, but you have to wonder how he expects to upgrade there. Wonder if Barron Miles will be the top choice.

Personally, I feel that Stubler has been done for awhile, back to his last couple years in Toronto (07-08).  I'm not a huge fan of the avoid the deep ball but give up most of the rest of the field (including the run) approach, that's how we ended up killing Stubler's defence on route to the 07 Grey Cup game.  CFL offences have evolved (call it the Trestman Revolution), and the deep ball is the lowest percentage throw, the shorter the pass the higher the completion rate.  Offences are all about high percentage plays.  Top OC's will run the ball when they are getting 8-9 YPC.  Defences need to challenge QB's and hold gaps.  The best approach for a defence is more of a hybrid and showing a million different looks so the offence can't safely decide where the ball is going before the snap.  Nobody is having success because of this style of defence in recent CFL history, basically since Stubler and Marshall were the top DC's in the mid-00's.  The only way this defence works is if you have an offence that is going to stay on the field for long stretches.  You could see it's downfall when BC lost Lulay.  It isn't going to create turnovers or 2 and outs.  Toss in Stubler's rumoured health concerns and I'm not that enthused about this rumoured hire, unless Stubler is going to be a consultant or something.

once you change your mindset to what Stubes tries to do on defence (ie: force an offence to consistently create drives of 10+ plays in order to score) you'll appreciate his D and its underlying philosophy.

been expecting this announcement for a few weeks. this will be a very solid add.

(as for comments about poaching our players, while it is certainly within the realm of the possible... i see them as being much more likely to got to the Esks since Jones does this every time he moves... look for guys like McCune and (gawd i hope not) Ball to be in Green and Yellow)

Re: Philosophies.

The comparison to Greg Marshall in my opinion has strengths and weaknesses.  For one, I think Marshall's been overvalued for quite some time.  Maybe it's because I don't remember his work in the early '00s but for as long as I can remember, he hasn't put forth many strong defenses.  Like Kavis Reed, I would suggest that he is working off of his reputation more than actual results.

Can you make the same argument with Stubler? Probably, but I don't think it's as strong.  He's had more recent success, though I realize 'success' is hard to define here and will vary by each person's definition.  Perhaps some of the philosophies are similar to Marshall's, but he just executes better.  I can't say I'm a fan of the philosophy (I much prefer an aggressive, blitzing defense for CFL offenses) but I think his ideas have merit. 

this guys will look good too here: Kyries Hebert (MTL), Damaso Munoz (EDM), Simone Lawrence (HAM)...

I'm also interested in  Marc-Olivier and/or  Brouillette Marc Calixte, we can do a 3 NI rotation in the ILB if we get one of those guys

Calixte retired after the 2012 season. And he was strictly a ST player. Never played a regular lb spot for the Stamps.