BIg rumor concerning DC position

Mike

I've heard the same.

what do you think are the chances that he go to Cgy instead of Wpg?

If we get him - "Boy I'm glad that we were able to get such an experienced Co-Ordinator".  If he goes to the Stamps instead: "They can have that old has-been - he's washed up anyway".  :D

There's a term for that on the other site... aadvarking.  LOL!

iso, why you get so butthurt when someone has a conflicting opinion to yours? its not an insult when someone thinks differently, stay calm and bomber on..

atomic, the guy is more of a positron then myself so i gotta give him props, especially with the amount of trolls he has to weed thru..

and as for stubler, i strongly agree with the catch 22 scenario.. O'Shea would benefit greatly from his experience but stublers defenses last of the last 3+ seasons have not impressed me at all.. if our offense struggles (odds are good on that) and we need defensive greatness then its gonna make me nervous..

and as for stubler, i strongly agree with the catch 22 scenario.. O'Shea would benefit greatly from his experience but stublers defenses last of the last 3+ seasons have not impressed me at all.. if our offense struggles (odds are good on that) and we need defensive greatness then its gonna make me nervous..

do you just have really high standards for defense or are you underestimating those teams defenses? Cause I suspect it's the latter. They may not have been highlight grabbing grabbing but they were solid. 

I caught an Eskimo practice when Stubler was there and I have to say I've NEVER seen a coach more uninterested in my life. He's 64, 4 jobs in 5 years and runs a D that most people here say they hate: the bend but don't break. I'm going to give O'Shea the benefit of the doubt but this hire scares me.

You "caught" an Eskimos practice once & watched anywhere from 5 minutes to maybe two hours on the field. You based what you consider is his work ethic just on that. One practice for however long you were there. You never sat in on the defensive meetings. You never saw Stubler break down film. You never saw him conduct a defensive meeting with all of his players in the meeting rooms. You never saw the meetings he conducted with his defensive assistants focusing  on getting ready for the next opponent. You never saw the discussions he had with the Esks head coach at the time. You never saw the preparation that he may have done in the Eskimo offices. You don't know what was happening behind the scenes nor do you know what the defense was focusing on during practice that day. But simply based on your observations of one practice his potential hire scares you? We could hire Wally Buono & there'd be fans bitching about that, too. No matter what O'Shea does, someone will always be there to say whatever he does is a mistake.

Here's what I think. This  is O'Shea's first gig as a head coach. He can't afford to make a mistake & screw up hiring his coaches, especially at the coordinator positions. O'Shea trusts Stubler. He already knows the kind of coach that he is. Also, being an assistant coach in the CFL with the Argos he'd know thru the coaches grapevine if Stubler has become lazy & was just mailing it in with the Lions because he's 64. If O'Shea thinks Rich Stubler is the answer than have a little faith that he knows what he's doing hiring the guy. Stubler has proven he can run a great defense. I think having him here will be a great hire by Mike O'Shea.

No offense, but we (you included) all do the same thing here every day. We use limited knowledge to form grand opinions about something we know nothing about. You despised Joe Mack and are worried about Kyle Walters in the same way, but you've never spent any time with them either. No different.

No offense taken but I do know a pro coach doesn't just mail it in which is what was being hinted at here. The Lions may have released or fired Stubler for a lot of reasons but I would be shocked if being lazy was one of them. No way Wally & Benevides would have put up with that from anyone for any length of time & he was there for 2 seasons.

iso, why you get so butthurt when someone has a conflicting opinion to yours? its not an insult when someone thinks differently, stay calm and bomber on..

atomic, the guy is more of a positron then myself so i gotta give him props, especially with the amount of trolls he has to weed thru..

I get my butt hurt as you say when fans start saying a guy like Stubler is lazy. I just shake my head. We haven't had a coach like that on our team for years & yet some are complaining or now questioning his supposed hiring. The  other thing, these guys put in long, long hours everyday during the season. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day. Former Stamps OL coach Dan Dorazio used to get to McMahon Stadium at 3:30 am every morning during the season & I read he used to leave at 7 pm at night. George Cortez would sleep in. He'd come in at 4:15 am & leave whenever many hours later... The life of a coach is a hard one.  SPuDs I have no doubt that once Stubler is announced as the new DC you'll be his biggest booster because we know that's how you roll.  ;) Smiley, SpuDs... I'm using a smiley here....

That's a valid question. Who knows? Benevides obviously wants to go in a different direction, that's for sure. What I think is that if the Lions have another season like last year It'll be Benevides walking the plank. From everything I've read, Wally believes that the Lions are better than their record indicates.

I get my butt hurt as you say when fans start saying a guy like Stubler is lazy. I just shake my head. We haven't had a coach like that on our team for years & yet some are complaining or now questioning his supposed hiring. The other thing, these guys put in long, long hours everyday during the season. Maybe the guy was just having a bad day. Former Stamps OL coach Dan Dorazio used to get to McMahon Stadium at 3:30 am every morning during the season & I read he used to leave at 7 pm at night. George Cortez would sleep in. He'd come in at 4:15 am & leave whenever many hours later... The life of a coach is a hard one. SPuDs I have no doubt that once Stubler is announced as the new DC you'll be his biggest booster because we know that's how you roll. ;) Smiley, SpuDs... I'm using a smiley here....

honestly iso, im not going to be comfortable with HC, DC and depending on who is an OC until they have proven to be good choices... im going into this upcoming season with alot of heebie-jeebie feelings about how this could all turn out... i know it sounds weird but i actually found it easier to put faith into unknowns like burke at HC then already knowns like Stubler at DC.. also, O'Shea wouldnt have me worried if he had even a seasons worth of DC or even some assistant HC..

SPuDS, you had faith in a guy who I & a lot of other people believe tore this organization apart. If anyone had become jaded about the Bombers it was me with everything that has gone on with this team the past few years. I admit that I wasn't convinced Kyle Walters was the right guy to lead this team managerially but listening to him talk about his vision of the team, the way he handles the media & the guys he has hired in the personnel department I decided that I'd give him & now Mike O'Shea my full support because to me, it's a complete clean slate. The team looks to have bottomed out & until these guys show they are unable to do their jobs, I'll be behind them. I'm tired of being a disillusioned fan. I want to feel there is hope in the future. I hope I'm right.

Yeah, I was certainly reluctant to give Walters the job (and I still don't like the way the process, or lack thereof, was carried out) but I am impressed with his words and more importantly, I am impressed that the first things they did was address the front office and scouting woes. 

I admit I was optimistic when Mack was first hired but this does feel different. 

Yeah, I was certainly reluctant to give Walters the job (and I still don't like the way the process, or lack thereof, was carried out) but I am impressed with his words and more importantly, I am impressed that the first things they did was address the front office and scouting woes. 

I admit I was optimistic when Mack was first hired but this does feel different. 

Yes, I know what you mean. Just beefing up the personnel dept & scouting is huge. There does seem to be a different vibe about this team now.

There does seem to be a different vibe about this team now.

That's only because of how bad the team was with Burke. The mess Kelly left was a big one, but at least the team seemed to have a pulse back then, with Burke leading the way there was absolutely no passion from anyone on that team and it was just ******* depressing. 

That's only because of how bad the team was with Burke. The mess Kelly left was a big one, but at least the team seemed to have a pulse back then, with Burke leading the way there was absolutely no passion from anyone on that team and it was just ******* depressing.

Yeah under Burke it was like the team showed up with a threaded pulse and barely breathing, and was DOA by half time.

If we gotta start at the bottom of the scrap heap so be it. But now the entire Bomber organization have to roll up their collective sleeves & start turning this beached whale of a team around.

I think the turn around will be faster than a lot of people think assuming that the coaches they hire as worth a damn and they get a decent qb. There is some potential here that needs developed so good coaches should hopefully be able to turn some of these guys into players. 

If we gotta start at the bottom of the scrap heap so be it. But now the entire Bomber organization have to roll up their collective sleeves & start turning this beached whale of a team around.

I think the turn around will be faster than a lot of people think assuming that the coaches they hire as worth a damn and they get a decent qb. There is some potential here that needs developed so good coaches should hopefully be able to turn some of these guys into players. 

That's my thought as well.

1) "It appears the Bombers are just waiting for Stubler’s B.C. contract to expire before officially adding him to the fold."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/12/11/winnipeg-blue-bombers-in-a-holding-pattern-when-it-comes-to-acquiring-quarterback

2) "One of the leading candidates for the offensive co-ordinator job is Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterbacks coach Khari Jones, and he would be very familiar with Willy. In fact, one CFL source Wednesday said the quarterbacks the Bombers are interested in are very likely Collaros and Willy, with Burris as the wild card."

3) "New head coach Mike O’Shea has been working on getting his staff together, but no announcements have been made. At last check, candidates had been interviewed and were waiting to learn their fates."

1) "It appears the Bombers are just waiting for Stubler’s B.C. contract to expire before officially adding him to the fold."

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/12/11/winnipeg-blue-bombers-in-a-holding-pattern-when-it-comes-to-acquiring-quarterback

2) "One of the leading candidates for the offensive co-ordinator job is Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterbacks coach Khari Jones, and he would be very familiar with Willy. In fact, one CFL source Wednesday said the quarterbacks the Bombers are interested in are very likely Collaros and Willy, with Burris as the wild card."

3) "New head coach Mike O’Shea has been working on getting his staff together, but no announcements have been made. At last check, candidates had been interviewed and were waiting to learn their fates."