Reactions around the CFL re: O'Shea hire

Mike

Just thought it'd make for an interesting discussion. Not so much what WE think, but what his peers and students think.

Matt Black @MattBlack39

Coach O'Shea u taught me more about this game & how to play this game than you will even know. Thank u 4 everything. U will be missed!

Matt Black @MattBlack39

These people that don't think O'Shea is qualified are sorely mistaken. His players will sacrifice their bodies for him. Mark my words...

Kerry Joseph @kerryjoseph4

Congrats to Mike O'Shea on being named HC of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Lots of respect for him.

Ricky Foley @Foley4Real

Congrats2Mike O'Shea,His players will run through walls 4him, Why U ask? 'Cause HE DID in THIS league 4yrs as a D starter & all4 ST's #CFL

(Editor's note: pretty sure Foley is drunk)

Spencer Watt @swatt89

Sad to see one hell of coach leave. Good luck to Mike O'Shea and his head coaching job.

Matt Dominguez @mattdshow

Congrats to Mike O'Shea for getting the HC job in Peg. They've already faked a field goal and 2 blocked 2 punts by now. #newlook

Trenton Guy @TrentGuy3284

Congrats to Mike O'Shea on being named Head Coach of Winnipeg !!

Romby Bryant @tharbryant

@TrentGuy3284 O is gone? Damn!

Sammy Tranks @OGperspective

Congrats Mike O'Shea, on earning the head coaching job for Winnipeg! Had the pleasure to play 2 years under him. Fearless... That guy. #CFL

not to mention Ryan Lucas, Terrence Edwards and Chris Cvetkovic all tweeting about how pleased they are too. I think it says a lot that so many players he has coached have spoken up about him leaving. Very excited.

More comments:

Andre Durie ‏@AD3TWO 
It has been a true honour to have played with and Developed under Coach O'Shea ...wish him all the best in the Peg....except against us.

Doug Brown ‏@DougBrown97
Before O'Shea went back into coaching, he was the shoe in to replace Stu Laird as CFLPA president.  He was that respected by the player reps

Chris Cuthbert ‏@CCtsn
It's a good day for the #CFL when somebody like Mike O'Shea, who has given so much to the game, is rewarded with a HC job. #Bombers

Wait Mike doesn't look like his avatar photo ?

Good to hear the opinion of those who've worked with Osh the past couple of years. Matt Black seemed pretty serious with his statement.

I was at the press conference today and Paul Friesen asked O'Shea a couple questions. Friesen sounded likea little girl shaking in his boots when he asked the question. Then Friesen goes on Twitter and trashes O'Shea. What a cowardly scumbag Friesen is.

I liked the "this is an organization has, frankly, produced more jokes than wins" line. I thought O'Shea was gonna have an aneurysm.

Who did Friesen want?  The available people with head coaching experience are terrible and as much as Trestman wanted to leave Chicago for Winnipeg, they are in the middle of a season.

Doesn't matter, whoever they hired he'd be snide and negative about them. That's all he does. 

If it was Cortez media would bring up his failures in HAM.

I was at the press conference today and Paul Friesen asked O'Shea a couple questions.  Friesen sounded likea little girl shaking in his boots when he asked the question.  Then Friesen goes on Twitter and trashes O'Shea.  What a cowardly scumbag Friesen is.

O'Shea first thought: "What the hell - there's more than one media guy here at a CFL press conference.  So unlike Toronto."  Second thought: "Who is this ginger-haired idiot?"  Get used to thinking that Mike.

As far as reaction in Calgary here goes, I was listening to Sports talk on AM770CHQR this evening. Mark Stephen is the play by play guy for the Stamps & very much the same type of broadcaster Bob Irving is. His partner Jock Wilson is the **** disturber of the two who likes to get his digs in or get under peoples skin whenever he can on all subjects.

They had Bob Irving on this evening & Bob was glowing in his praise of both Kyle Walters & Mike O'Shea. The biggest concerns brought up in the interview was the skepticism of the Miller, Walters & O'Shea team by both Stephens & especially Wilson. That those 3 are very young & have no senior management or head coaching experience in the CFL. As well as the situation of having to do a huge rebuilding job to right the Bomber ship & are these the 3 guys who can actually do it? Bob said that seems to be the way the CFL is going now with younger guys with a ton of energy taking over.That the older experienced managers & coaches are getting pushed to the side & why not give these young guys a chance?

Bottom line, I don't think anyone outside Winnipeg questions the guys hired re their knowledge for  & passion of the CFL. Just the inexperience factor leads to this skepticism & the questions that these are the 3 that can change the Blue Bomber fortunes when so many others couldn't. I think that's the way most CFL media & fans in other cities think right now.

iso, that's fair enough. Everyone working for the BBs now got promoted into their current job in 2013, most of them within the last two weeks.

Man, if you lose a game for every rookie you start, how many games do you lose with a rookie HC, a rookie GM / front office staff, and a rookie president?  I think we're gonna need to be patient here...

I like what O'Shea said at that news conference. He seems like a sharp guy. He does need to surround himself with good coaching talent to be successful. It'll be interesting to see just who he hires as his coordinators here in the coming days & weeks. We can win games especially if we're not as talented as other teams if we have great coaches. If we work hard in practice & games. If we are prepared as a team & can adjust on Game Day..

When Miller was first hired, he said he likes to work fast, and that next year's Blue Bombers would not resemble last year's. I'll take a CEO any day that has accomplished what Miller has accomplished in a short period of time, and ditto for Kyle Walters. 

For the first time in a long time, there's a lot of hope for this team. Without hope, what do you have?

When Miller was first hired, he said he likes to work fast, and that next year's Blue Bombers would not resemble last year's. I'll take a CEO any day that has accomplished what Miller has accomplished in a short period of time, and ditto for Kyle Walters. 

For the first time in a long time, there's a lot of hope for this team. Without hope, what do you have?

Miller in my mind hasn't accomplished a great deal, but I'll give him credit for accomplishing two things: The fan base is excited again about the Bombers, and we have hired an HC from outside of the organization that we are receiving praise for from other CFL cities.

Miller in my mind hasn't accomplished a great deal, but I'll give him credit for accomplishing two things: The fan base is excited again about the Bombers, and we have hired an HC from outside of the organization that we are receiving praise for from other CFL cities.

Not praise. The media here in Calgary snickers & are for the most part disbelievers at all the hirings. They don't believe they can turn the team around. I think the rest of the league falls into that category because of the youth & inexperience. The Stamps fanbase on both fan sites feel sorry for Bomber fans. Most think we are great fans that deserve a lot better.