Penton: Walters Will Be GM Soon

Noeller

The impression I got from reading the papers all week is that Miller has been talking to everyone and anyone during GC week in Regina. If he talked to a bunch of front-office types from other teams who said "We like Kyle, we respect Kyle, we'd have no problem working with Kyle as an equal in the league..." then, I've got no problem with them moving forward with him. If they get McManus or someone like that to work the connections south of the border while KW does the CIS stuff that he's clearly gifted at, then what the hell. Just because he's an "easy" hire, doesn't make him a bad one. Time will tell if this is the right move, but for the time being, I'm willing to give it a shot. Now, who the hell do we get as HC...

Kind of reeks of that one Grey Cup week, when a certain bald a-hole named Mike Kelly was walking around with Lyle Bauer basically introducing himself as the next GM and HC. 

Not saying that Walters or Khari are anything like Reinbald, just the schoozy friends helping friends stink never seems to leave this team. 

Pretty sure there was the same reaction when Mack was hired by some. Not worried. Imwt and all that.

Walters seems like a good football man to have in the organization, but i fail to see how he is any bit qualified to handle such an enormous task as transforming a horrible team that has been mostly crap since 2008 into a highly competitive team that push for division champions each year.

Cis coach to shitty st coach to assistant GM to intermin GM, Not seeing the cfl experience in building a great team from the dog pile we currently are. Sure he has CIs experience but how does that translate into the cfl?

I rather someone like Higgins or someone with similar amounts of experience helping manage teams that have turned from crap into top 4 teams in the league.

Settling with Walters May turn out to be great, but i don't understand our perpetual gravitation to rookie management hires..

Pretty sure there was the same reaction when Mack was hired by some. Not worried. Imwt and all that.

Walters seems like a good football man to have in the organization, but i fail to see how he is any bit qualified to handle such an enormous task as transforming a horrible team that has been mostly crap since 2008 into a highly competitive team that push for division champions each year.

Cis coach to shitty st coach to assistant GM to intermin GM, Not seeing the cfl experience in building a great team from the dog pile we currently are. Sure he has CIs experience but how does that translate into the cfl?

I rather someone like Higgins or someone with similar amounts of experience helping manage teams that have turned from crap into top 4 teams in the league.

Settling with Walters May turn out to be great, but i don't understand our perpetual gravitation to rookie management hires..

The problem is that, other than Higgins (whose qualifications are questionable), the person you are looking for doesn't exist. If they really did their research and determined that Walters is the best guy out there, then I have no problems with it. 

The problem is that, other than Higgins (whose qualifications are questionable), the person you are looking for doesn't exist. If they really did their research and determined that Walters is the best guy out there, then I have no problems with it.

So there are no other coaches or operational guys on any other team or in short hiatus with more experience then Walters and or less then Higgins?

Yes, there are more experienced player personnel guys around than Walters. The guy in BC who has been there forever as well as John Murphy in Calgary. And like has been pointed out a couple of hundred times, there's Tom Higgins available who has rebuilt teams as a GM & Head Coach in the past. So, yes there are people out there who can do the job. The thing is, Wade Miller is calling the shots. I don't think too many CFL execs like Murphy want anything to do with him so we get Walters.

Can anyone name an available GM candidate who has experience successfully rebuilding a team. There are potential GM candidates with more management experience than Walters but of the names bandied about none have rebuilt a team as GM. Both times when Higgins was GM in Edmonton he inherited good teams. Murphy, McEvoy and O'Day have never been GMs so they haven't been in charge of a rebuild either.

If Walters is the best guy for the job then great. Problem is, he's not. Penton said it in his column the other day and everyone already knows this. Miller knows this. So why is he giving the job to Walters? Because apparently an "exhaustive search" in Bomber Land means leaving your office, walking down the hallway, running into anybody you recognize and asking "Oh hey, you know there's a GM job available, wanna do it? But if anyone asks, say you interviewed for it."

This is the impression I get every time the Bombers need to make a new hire and claim they will be scouring the league looking for the best possible candidate for the job. Like they did for a head coach after canning LaPo right? They found the best possible candidate. In the ENTIRE LEAGUE. That's what we got. He was right under our nose the whole time.

The problem is the attitude this organization seems to have every time we go through this. As long as a person is "adequate" or "good enough", they fit the bill. Forget RENEWED RIVALRIES, 2014's slogan should just be those two terms beneath our logo.

All of the bellyaching is based on unfounded information at this point. You may all turn out to be right, but it's too soon to tell. Let's wait and see what Kyle does.

I can't speak for any other poster, but my bellyaching has more to do with the process, then Walters being hired.

The thing is, Wade Miller is calling the shots. I don't think too many CFL execs like Murphy want anything to do with him so we get Walters.

Maybe but image is everything.

Unsubstantiated and completely unfair to the young wizard, Mr. Walters

Maybe but optics are everything.

Optics are everything? 

Not if they're an illusion.