Head coach - Who do you want and why?

Mr. Perfect

Head coach - Who do you want and why?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Mark your choice, who should be the new boss?

• Khari Jones
    • George Cortez
    • Jacques Chapdelaine
    • Tom Higgins
    • Chris Jones
    • Paul LaPolice
    • Doug Berry
    • Mike O'Shea
    • Other

Bombers can have their cake and eat it too.  Cap will probably go up by $500,000 for next season so $200,000 for Dressler is fair.  We won't have to overpay for Collaros - he will probably get a base around $200,000 to $225,000 whereas Ray makes a $450,000 base and Lulay makes a similar base.  We would have one of the cheapest Qbs in the league.

There will be plenty of money left for the O-line and Henoc.

Weston Dressler is a free agent and he  certainly is an impact player.  Bombers should throw the bank at him.  $200,000 + easy.  We would have our number one receiver.

Disagree. Not necessary.

We can do better in FA

With a re-thinking of our offensive game plan, and a real QB, we can use guys like Miles for possession and Denmark for that big play.

But these are just examples.

We've had no problem finding "that receiver guy" in the past, we've just had problems getting him the ball.

Just look at all the years we didn't win with Milt Stegall because the o-line wasn't good enough or we didn't have a good qb.... there's other places to break the bank, not at receiver. I'd take Dressler on the team, but not at any price. 

Bad luck in 2007 and rustiness (from sitting the last two games of the season) or cockiness in 2001.

Bombers should be able to afford a legit top receiver and at least a few good pieces on the O-line simultaneously.

Personally, I'd rather have Higgins though.

As head coach? From what I understand Higgins doesn't want to coach - he wants to be in management.

Unless it is an impact player like a Ricky Ray or a Jon Cornish, free agents normally are experienced players that can fill a gap or much needed gaps in a roster. Some are still impact players & still effective but on the downside or others are well past their prime but are still have a year or two left in the tank as players. Brought  in for leadership like Geroy Simon was in Riderville. I've always felt that free agency is just one part of the puzzle in building a championship. It shouldn't be relied upon solely but it shouldn't be ignored either.

Weston Dressler is a free agent and he  certainly is an impact player.  Bombers should throw the bank at him.  $200,000 + easy.  We would have our number one receiver.

I wouldn't want to break the bank on Dressler but it would almost be worth signing him just to piss off Rider fans. 

I don't know... so many US colleges turning out absolute freaks at receiver and DB.... guys that won't even get a try-out with an NFL team cause they're 5'11....

Imagine if we had JUST ONE really, really good scout based in the US full-time that knew how to sell the CFL to these guys who just had their NFL dream shot down. 

I would pay 200K to a guy like that before I paid 200K to Dressler. He could dig up a handful of 22 year old guys just as good, 4 inches taller, and 100 grand cheaper. 

Dressler is a top 5 receiver in this league and has been for awhile. If we could get him here that would be great.

I don't know how much it would cost, I don't really like to speculate on CFL salaries because none of us really know what anyone makes other than a rough idea for handful of players... but I'd be willing to make him one of the highest paid receivers in he league, for sure. Sometimes when you're desperate for some star power, you have to overpay a little bit.

Why....I understand Maas to be more of a student of the game where as Jones was more about getting by on his ability when he played. I think the student translates into more tangible qualities in terms of coaching and formulating an offensive scheme.

I don't disagree that Maas is a great student of the game, and that might translate into being a great coach.  But cart before the horse... he's never been an OC or even a QBC. 

I'd take him as a QBC, and think we'd have a great shot at that happening if O'Shea is selected as HC, thanks to their Toronto ties.

Unless it is an impact player like a Ricky Ray or a Jon Cornish, free agents normally are experienced players that can fill a gap or much needed gaps in a roster. Some are still impact players & still effective but on the downside or others are well past their prime but are still have a year or two left in the tank as players. Brought  in for leadership like Geroy Simon was in Riderville. I've always felt that free agency is just one part of the puzzle in building a championship. It shouldn't be relied upon solely but it shouldn't be ignored either.

I'd rather not break the bank on an american receiver truthfully. Think there's better places that kind of spending could help more. 

I guess that really depends on who hits free agency.

Heard Rod Peterson from the Roughriders on the TSN morning show this morning, he was saying that it was likely Dressler was going to hit FA and that Winnipeg may be a possible destination for him since it is close to home in Bismark, ND.

I'd love Dressler.  SB's that can have great hands, repeatedly get open, and separate from coverage at an elite level are not common.  Stegall and Geroy come to mind.  Dressler's got the potential to be in that class. 

I get that freakishly athletic WR's come out of college all the time now... but 17to85 among others is famous around here for debating the merits of arm strength vs. technical proficiency and smarts for a QB.  When do we start the conversation about technical proficiency vs. freakish raw attributes for a WR?

If a guy like Dressler wants to talk to your club because it's closer to home for him and he's leaving his current club... I try my best to take that shot. 

Heard Rod Peterson from the Roughriders on the TSN morning show this morning, he was saying that it was likely Dressler was going to hit FA and that Winnipeg may be a possible destination for him since it is close to home in Bismark, ND.

I'd love Dressler.  SB's that can have great hands, repeatedly get open, and separate from coverage at an elite level are not common.  Stegall and Geroy come to mind.  Dressler's got the potential to be in that class. 

I get that freakishly athletic WR's come out of college all the time now... but 17to85 among others is famous around here for debating the merits of arm strength vs. technical proficiency and smarts for a QB.  When do we start the conversation about technical proficiency vs. freakish raw attributes for a WR?

If a guy like Dressler wants to talk to your club because it's closer to home for him and he's leaving his current club... I try my best to take that shot. 

It's not about not wanting a guy like that, it's about not breaking the bank on a guy like that. If you are going to spend whatever it takes to get a free agent then make it in a more impactful position. quarterback, a top NI something like that. Finding a receiver who can get you over 1000 yards isn't that hard. 

Oh man, that's apples and oranges.

A WR with a 10 cent brain but stud playmaking ability will go hell of a lot further up here than a QB with a rocket arm and no game sense. (*cough, Michael Bishop)

Sure he has to pick up the waggle and such but there's a lot more room for just relying on freak-show athleticism. That's why you have these guys in the NFL playing receiver who also had offers to play basketball. 

It's not about not wanting a guy like that, it's about not breaking the bank on a guy like that. If you are going to spend whatever it takes to get a free agent then make it in a more impactful position. quarterback, a top NI something like that. Finding a receiver who can get you over 1000 yards isn't that hard. 

Don't disagree with you about this point.  I'd contend that Dressler is a game changing receiver though.  Kind of guy that can draw the opposition's best corner week after week, and generate elite level WR performance; while opening up the field for the other WR's. 

That's something I'd pay for.

Oh man, that's apples and oranges.

A WR with a 10 cent brain but stud playmaking ability will go hell of a lot further up here than a QB with a rocket arm and no game sense. (*cough, Michael Bishop)

Sure he has to pick up the waggle and such but there's a lot more room for just relying on freak-show athleticism. That's why you have these guys in the NFL playing receiver who also had offers to play basketball. 

There's a lot of Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates types out there.  The good ones get signed in the NFL.  The bad ones can't run routes well enough to get starting jobs anywhere.  Including Canada.  Adarius Bowman comes to mind as one that did.  All the potential in the world... but couldn't put it all together. 

Not saying you need to be an ace scholar at WR... saying that technical proficiency and productivity > freakish attributes.

Regina to Bismarck = 565.3 km

Winnipeg to Bismarck = 666.5 km

I think the implied point being that if Dressler hits FA, and Regina can't afford him... we'd be a possible destination.  100 kms more makes Winnipeg closer than Cowtown.

Ya, but that's because it's always faster leaving Regina.

I'd much rather have our money spent on building the best o-line in the CFL than on American receivers.  

And that's the point, I mean I love how the guy plays but if we miss a top NI (safety for example) or O-Line guy by targeting Dressler, that would be more than a shame. 

That is an absolutely ridiculous stance, taking a pass on a guy who can improve your team because he's a import...........any HC coming in is going to recognize that the Bombers just don't have enough impact players on the roster, even Burke saw it, and is going to want assurances from management that they will have the opportunity to grab guys when they become available. You only get so many chances to acquire those types of players.

That is an absolutely ridiculous stance, taking a pass on a guy who can improve your team because he's a import...........any HC coming in is going to recognize that the Bombers just don't have enough impact players on the roster, even Burke saw it, and is going to want assurances from management that they will have the opportunity to grab guys when they become available. You only get so many chances to acquire those types of players.

But it's not because he's an import, it's because…IF...you had a choice in FA, to improve your base (O-Line, NI starter, QB) with X amount of money to spend, that's where you have to make the choice.

We're going to have to make that choice…..Henoc, Collaros…..

I'm pretty confident that getting a good piece or 2 on the o-line will do more to improve the Bombers than an 'impact' import receiver.