Head coach - Who do you want and why?

Mr. Perfect

Head coach - Who do you want and why?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Mark your choice, who should be the new boss?

• Khari Jones
    • George Cortez
    • Jacques Chapdelaine
    • Tom Higgins
    • Chris Jones
    • Paul LaPolice
    • Doug Berry
    • Mike O'Shea
    • Other

My opinion, I'd have little interest in Berry, Cortez or Higgins.  I'd be interested in Cortez as an associate coach/OC if they are already sick of him in Regina.  Berry is done in the league as a head coach or coordinator except in emergency situations.  

I'd give Chris Jones and Chapdelaine a call, mostly to pick their brains, but I wouldn't have a lot of interest in hiring them.

Lapolice isn't coming back.

Guys I'd have on my shortlist in alphabetical order (keep in mind for coordinator jobs too):

Marcus Brady (possible OC too, might want a chance outside of Milanovich's shadow)

Bobby Dyce (potential offensive or special teams assistant too)

Jason Gesser (QB coach at Wyoming, former OC and interim head coach at Idaho, former Stamp QB...possible OC/QB coach candidate)

Khari Jones

Barron Miles (possible DC or defensive assistant with personnel experience in BC too)

Mike O'Shea

Noel Thorpe

I like the idea of Associate Coach for Cortez but can't seem him making a lateral move here as OC even if their sick of him.

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

I prefer Higgins but I'm definitely intrigued by Cortez' offensive skills.

on the other hand Cortez woulda hired Creehan right? Red flag. 

Creehan was coming off of a pretty good stint in Winnipeg where he was thought pretty highly of.

sounds like he'd have the option of having Tim Burke as DC this year.

It's Cortez for me, he would still be working in Hamilton had Obie not stepped aside and Kent Austin come in. He's got a pretty good track record and experience as an HC.

Cortez working with the offence (maybe with Khari as OC)

Burke as DC

Dickenson as STC

You could do worse.

And who would be the HC then? We've had oh so much success with HCs trying to be coordinators lately right? The concerning thing with Cortez is how he went out and hired a poor choice at DC in his try as a HC. We've seen enough of that here when coaches bring in poor assistant coaches. Gotta hire someone who knows how to surround themselves with good people. Yeah he'd likely improve the offense a whole pile, but would the team as a whole get better? I dunno. 

The idea here is to hire a coach who can stay here for 6 or 7 years. 

No but Cortez seemed to do a pretty good job of it in hamilton. It's been successful elsewhere. Don't let the bombers incompetence cloud your opinion of Cortez.

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

I prefer Higgins but I'm definitely intrigued by Cortez' offensive skills.

on the other hand Cortez woulda hired Creehan right? Red flag. 

Creehan was coming off of a pretty good stint in Winnipeg where he was thought pretty highly of.

sounds like he'd have the option of having Tim Burke as DC this year.

It's Cortez for me, he would still be working in Hamilton had Obie not stepped aside and Kent Austin come in. He's got a pretty good track record and experience as an HC.

Cortez working with the offence (maybe with Khari as OC)

Burke as DC

Dickenson as STC

You could do worse.

And who would be the HC then? We've had oh so much success with HCs trying to be coordinators lately right? The concerning thing with Cortez is how he went out and hired a poor choice at DC in his try as a HC. We've seen enough of that here when coaches bring in poor assistant coaches. Gotta hire someone who knows how to surround themselves with good people. Yeah he'd likely improve the offense a whole pile, but would the team as a whole get better? I dunno. 

The idea here is to hire a coach who can stay here for 6 or 7 years. 

No but Cortez seemed to do a pretty good job of it in hamilton. It's been successful elsewhere. Don't let the bombers incompetence cloud your opinion of Cortez.

you call finishing last in the league successful? Cause that's what I'm talking about, not the offense, his ability to head coach. Guy is a hell of a coordinator but as a head coach he led a team that was worse than the Bombers. 

People who don't want Tom Higgins: why not?

He's got the exact track record we want.  He's a Grey Cup winner (2003) and he cleaned up Matt Dunigan's mess in Calgary in 2005, going from 4-14 to 11-7 in one year.

His teams also lost in more than one playoff game, and he's been out of the on field part, as far as connections go...for awhile. He tuned into the reffing part.

I like Chris Jones but I think he's doomed in Edmonton. Hervey is an awful GM and I bet they go at it over personnel decisions frequently.

Out of curiosity why do you think Hervey is an awful GM?    

for starters...

-extended K. Reed following their dreadful year last year

-It was at 7:49 a.m. when the Edmonton Eskimos sent out an e-mail to announce that GM Ed Hervey had fired Kavis Reed as head coach.

-won't be named a godfather to any children of Simeon Rottier(whom he trashed mercilessly publicly)

-trashes journalists

-did not know trades could be made from Nov.24 to Dec.9

I like Chris Jones but I think he's doomed in Edmonton. Hervey is an awful GM and I bet they go at it over personnel decisions frequently.

for starters...

-It was at 7:49 a.m. when the Edmonton Eskimos sent out an e-mail to announce that GM Ed Hervey had fired Kavis Reed as head coach.

-won't be named a godfather to any children of Simeon Rottier(whom he trashed mercilessly publicly)

-trashes journalists

-did not know a roster freeze was on from Nov.24 to Dec.9

You've got that one backwards.

for starters...

-trashes journalists

-did not know a roster freeze was on from Nov.24 to Dec.9

You've got that one backwards.

That's right…my error, he didn't know those were the trade dates. 

Thanks for that.

His deals with Sherritt and Shaw should also be up there ($170k and $130k respectively)

His deal with Hamilton is also glaring, I'm not even sure who's still on Edmonton after that deal, simply put Hervey got destroyed on that deal.

Waited almost a full 24 hours after cut down date to publish the Eskimos roster.

Held an illegall free agent camp

Illegal ?

Pretty sure he just had a secret camp (the media and fans weren't aware of it.)

The guy was pro active and was/is in a bad situation so I don't think Hervey is terrible.

Forget not Tillman did not even talk to the guys going into free agency and Edmonton had a very large amount of guys going into free agency.

I don't think Hervey is great but considering the circumstances he's done well. If hiring Jones is true then yet another solid move by him.

Acquiring Jones is a much better move then the bombers praying that Khari will be the savior.

Acquiring Jones is a much better move then the bombers praying that Khari will be the savior.

I bet you there's some poster @ eskfans named *Dauphin, or something like that, who is saying about the Bombers - "Acquiring Jones is a much better move than praying that Chris will be the saviour."

*the artist formerly known as LSD