Head coach - Who do you want and why?

Mr. Perfect

Head coach - Who do you want and why?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Mark your choice, who should be the new boss?

• Khari Jones
    • George Cortez
    • Jacques Chapdelaine
    • Tom Higgins
    • Chris Jones
    • Paul LaPolice
    • Doug Berry
    • Mike O'Shea
    • Other

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

I prefer Higgins but I'm definitely intrigued by Cortez' offensive skills.

I heard he was wearing out his welcome in SK. Granted, a GC ring will chill his critics, but I would sure like him here as an OC/Assistant HC.

Of course, we still need a fricken QB.

I don't even understand how Cortez could be on the outside in SK... did anyone over there see their offensive performance this year?  That wasn't entirely the result of having a good running back.

I like Chris Jones but I think he's doomed in Edmonton. Hervey is an awful GM and I bet they go at it over personnel decisions frequently.

Out of curiosity why do you think Hervey is an awful GM?    

Terrible cap management abilities, his scouting is pretty awful, he's a royal ******* to media, he's broken several rules that a GM should know about, I could go on

I like Chris Jones but I think he's doomed in Edmonton. Hervey is an awful GM and I bet they go at it over personnel decisions frequently.

Terrible cap management abilities, his scouting is pretty awful, he's a royal ******* to media, he's broken several rules that a GM should know about, I could go on

You could say the same about Taman aside from him being nice to the media.

No I couldn't

Bloody hell...

Yeah, his scouting is awful acquiring players like Drew Willy and Kory Sheets. His cap management is just fine. - Does he go about differently than some? Sure, but aside from a handful of years when Lyle SEVERELY restricted his budget, overall Taman's track record speaks for itself, and it's one most GM's would be thrilled to have. 

What has drew willy really done? What about years of him signing cast offs with us?

People have short term memory.

Forget not the riders are way over budget...

I'm not sure I agree with your opinion, but the constant mentions of Drew Willy are strange. I see nothing impressive about him, I suspect he has a similar career to the likes of McPherson, Porter, and Jyles.

funny how when Taman has a budget and support staff in Saskatchewan he looks like a pretty good GM eh? Imagine if Bauer hadn't pinched so many pennies here? 

Not sure if it was just Bauer.

So if we assume that it's between Khari and O'Shea.  Which coach do you think will help in attracting free agents?    

I believe O'Shea will be the better draw.  Again it's just my opinion but from what I've seen he really interact well with the players and it just seems that he'd well liked.   Every time I see Khari on the sidelines he seems to be standing by himself and I don't remember seeing him coaching the players during the game. 

What do you guys think?     

So if we assume that it's between Khari and O'Shea.  Which coach do you think will help in attracting free agents?   

I believe O'Shea will be the better draw.  Again it's just my opinion but from what I've seen he really interact well with the players and it just seems that he'd well liked.   Every time I see Khari on the sidelines he seems to be standing by himself and I don't remember seeing him coaching the players during the game. 

What do you guys think?     

Guys who have played in the league and are free agents?  To me, that's about the last thing I'd be thinking about when I'm hiring a coach, although a coach who does a good job will create an attractive team to play for.  Free agency (Feb 15th) is nearly worthless in this league, it's like the $2.99 DVD bin at Wal-Mart, good movies don't end up in there unless they are old or otherwise damaged.  This team is so far away from being able to actually make good use of free agency to add the supplemental pieces it provides that it isn't even a concern, and really should never be.  Free agents are looking for an opportunity to play and sometimes money.  You need to build and develop a team with great scouting on both sides of the border.  In a coach I'm more interested in a guy who can develop individual players and a team than someone who can attract free agents.  You win and trend upward, players will want to play here.

I'm not sure if you watched the Grey Cup, but Khari was typically with Durant on the sideline, or with Cortez discussing strategy.  TSN had a closeup on a pretty emotional embrace between Khari and Durant immediately after the game.  I don't think either of the two guys you mentioned would have significant difficulty with players.

Unless it is an impact player like a Ricky Ray or a Jon Cornish, free agents normally are experienced players that can fill a gap or much needed gaps in a roster. Some are still impact players & still effective but on the downside or others are well past their prime but are still have a year or two left in the tank as players. Brought  in for leadership like Geroy Simon was in Riderville. I've always felt that free agency is just one part of the puzzle in building a championship. It shouldn't be relied upon solely but it shouldn't be ignored either.

What has drew willy really done?

More than Mike Reilly ever did, and has a way higher ceiling as well.

Lol ya right nice try, if this is the case then do you expect a bidding war on him?

A war? No, because this off season will be very different than typical ones, but with three new QB positions available Ottawa coming into the league, plus movement likely to occour in at least Montreal, and possibly Hamilton and two others, Willy's agent will undoubtedly have his phone ringing.

Pretty sure that one way or the other.... Bombers are not going for the "experienced" option at HC.  

Given that scenario... O'Shea is a name, I hoped would come up.

We can make fans happy (and finally have that de facto QB coach), by giving Jones the shot as OC - the next logical step in his career progression.

Bottom line, this team has simply had a giant void in leadership and the required attitude, needed to win.  If we are going with a "comer", I just have a gut feeling that O"Shea could change up the vibe, round here....

Of course, we could simply retain Burke, Creehan, and Marcel ......save some dough, and wallow in mediocrity, or much worse....for for the next 10 years.....   

Bring on the comers......