Head coach - Who do you want and why?

Mr. Perfect

Head coach - Who do you want and why?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Mark your choice, who should be the new boss?

• Khari Jones
    • George Cortez
    • Jacques Chapdelaine
    • Tom Higgins
    • Chris Jones
    • Paul LaPolice
    • Doug Berry
    • Mike O'Shea
    • Other

I voted O'shea.

Why?  I want the organisation to look outside of the past Bombers (ie. Khari).

I also don't want a retread of someone who failed in the past.  I am probably in the minority, but I think that another rookie HC is a good idea.  I will accept a mediocre season if it means we give a new coach time to grow and develop.  

I would accept Khari as an OC, and I don't want Burke as a DC (I think its like knowing you have rotten food in your fridge, but you won't throw it out, you just keep pretending there isn't a problem).

I would accept Higgins, if he wanted to be here.  But if you keep getting passed over/declining opportunities, I am worried that one's heart really isn't into it.

I voted for Higgins because of his wide experience. I want him as GM/HC to be honest, I'm not sure if he will come in as HC only but if Miller/Walters can convinced him to be then all good. The guy is just winning wherever he goes.

Second choice will be Cortez, for obvious reason. We haven't have a decent O in 4 years this guys can fix it real quick.

I voted for Higgins because of his wide experience. I want him as GM/HC to be honest, I'm not sure if he will come in as HC only but if Miller/Walters can convinced him to be then all good. The guy is just winning wherever he goes.

Second choice will be Cortez, for obvious reason. We haven't have a decent O in 4 years this guys can fix it real quick.

unless Cortez is going to go behind center himself, he's not going to fix anything without a decent qb who can execute plays.  Bill Walsh would have failed here in 2013.  A good QB can make even an average OC look good, but a bad qb can make a good OC look terrible.  Cortez is good, but it helped he's had Burris and Durant the past two years as his QB's.  Justin Goltz or Jason Boltus as your QB?  Good luck with that.

unless Cortez is going to go behind center himself, he's not going to fix anything without a decent qb who can execute plays.  Bill Walsh would have failed here in 2013.  A good QB can make even an average OC look good, but a bad qb can make a good OC look terrible.  Cortez is good, but it helped he's had Burris and Durant the past two years as his QB's.  Justin Goltz or Jason Boltus as your QB?  Good luck with that.

Do you honestly think Miller / Walters will go with Hall, Boltus and Goltz in 2014? 

I honestly don't know enough to know who would be the best coaching candidate. I would like to hear from Miller as to what exactly they're looking for in an HC. I'd like to know what their list of qualifications is and why....

Do you honestly think Miller / Walters will go with Hall, Boltus and Goltz in 2014? 

ah....that's why I said he needs a "decent QB".....????

First is the GM.

I want a GM who has experience going into lousy situations and building good teams and coaching staffs from the ground floor up.

Said GM would have the balls to say to a certain CEO who seems to like to get his hands dirty "Look, you hired me to rebuild this thing into a winner. Back the frick off and let me do my job."

Pretty simple here folks, who do you want the new head coach to be, and what is your reasoning?

If I was GM, I'd go with George Cortez based on intitution, gut feel, observation and, ultimately, to test my theory. Hey it's fantasy, I have that luxury of no pressure other than feeling crappy or good between June and November based on this decision.

I like the fact that he's tried (and predominatly failed) as a head coach. The recency of this 'experience' (last year) and his learnings will translate into the needed changes he knows he needs to make to be successful. Most importantly the needed changes in how to lead a team, how to manage a team, how to delegate (or not) as appropriate, how to deal with the media, how to deal with differing player personalities, how to have those tough discussions when needed, how to be appropriately rah rah when needed, how to deal with a multitude of fan perspectives, how to deal with assistant coaches, how to deal with depth, how to deal with scouting, how to deal with upper management/boards etc etc. The obvious point is his role is not to draw out the x and o's. Bring in O'Shea, Berry, K. Jones, others for that. As I've said before, I like the mix he brings to the table and the potential of realistic hirings needed to fill-in the necessary gaps. I'd roll the dice with him. 

Tom Higgins as GM & HC. He has contacts in both the NCAA, CIS &  NFL. Knows coaches outside those organizations as well. Is used to dealing with CFL agents. Can negotiate contracts. Is experienced in rebuilding teams & making them championship competitive. Is a Grey Cup championship coach. More importantly,he has done both roles simultaneously in the past so he is my choice.

Higgins as GM and HC, for similar reasons to iso's post above.

Higgins has gone into a mess before and seemed to build winners. IMO Higgins greatest strengths are that he seems to make the right hires and bring in solid players, also seems to have a knack for leaving teams in better situations than when he comes in, both Edmonton and Calgary won a Grey Cup the Season after Hggins was fired/let go.

Tom Higgins as GM & HC. He has contacts in both the NCAA, CIS &  NFL. Knows coaches outside those organizations as well. Is used to dealing with CFL agents. Can negotiate contracts. Is experienced in rebuilding teams & making them championship competitive. Is a Grey Cup championship coach. More importantly,he has done both roles simultaneously in the past so he is my choice.

Can he?

He's never been a GM with a salary cap.

Can he?

He's never been a GM with a salary cap.

I believe he was for 1 year, and he failed epic-ly at it....but I could be mis-remembering.

Khari Jones cause I'm a raging fanboi.

I finally saw the Big Bang episode where Sheldon used the line you have adopted. Funny stuff.

we're pretty sure they have hidden cameras in his house, so they can record new dialogue for Sheldon to say on the show...

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

I prefer Higgins but I'm definitely intrigued by Cortez' offensive skills.

I heard he was wearing out his welcome in SK. Granted, a GC ring will chill his critics, but I would sure like him here as an OC/Assistant HC.

Of course, we still need a fricken QB.

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

I prefer Higgins but I'm definitely intrigued by Cortez' offensive skills.

on the other hand Cortez woulda hired Creehan right? Red flag.