Head coach - Who do you want and why?

Mr. Perfect

Head coach - Who do you want and why?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Mark your choice, who should be the new boss?

• Khari Jones
    • George Cortez
    • Jacques Chapdelaine
    • Tom Higgins
    • Chris Jones
    • Paul LaPolice
    • Doug Berry
    • Mike O'Shea
    • Other

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

I prefer Higgins but I'm definitely intrigued by Cortez' offensive skills.

I heard he was wearing out his welcome in SK. Granted, a GC ring will chill his critics, but I would sure like him here as an OC/Assistant HC.

Of course, we still need a fricken QB.

That'll be Darian Durant, coach killer at work most likely. 

If we are looking for a GM/HC, then Higgins is the only choice, but if it's just HC, no thanks.

I'm going with Cortez, the same guy I championed when we hired PLAP.  I was leaning towards Berry, and he would still be my second choice, but Cortez's offenses have been superior to Berry's and Cortez doesn't have that ex-bomber stigma.

I, also, was impressed with what N. Thorpe did with the Alouette defence last year.

He kept teams guessing.

Here's some info;

Noel Thorpe: 

-2013 is Thorpe's first season as the Alouettes' defensive coordinator after spending the last two seasons with the Université de Montréal Carabins in the CIS.

-During his first stint with the Alouettes, the now 42-year-old was appointed special teams coordinator, a position he held from 2002 to 2007.

-His responsibilities also included coaching defensive backs from 2003 to 2007.

- Edmonton Eskimos’ special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach from 2008 to 2010. During his two seasons with the Esks, he served also as the team’s assistant head coach.

-He was also the head coach of the gold-medal-winning Team Canada squad IFAF U19 World Championship that same year in Austin, TX.

Re: Cortez: imagine how good his TiCats could have been if his DC wasn't Casey Creehan.

It's not often that the top-scoring team in any league also has the worst record in that league.

on the other hand Cortez woulda hired Creehan right? Red flag. 

Don't think that would happen twice. Didn't they have a falling out in Hamilton early on in the 2012 season. Wasn't Creehan talking negative about Cortez behind his back?

Don't think that would happen twice. Didn't they have a falling out in Hamilton early on in the 2012 season. Wasn't Creehan talking negative about Cortez behind his back?

Don't think so. According to Drew Edwards, Cortez was going to keep Creehan as DC but let him out of his contract to come here. If they had had a falling out you would think he would have fired Creehan as soon as the season ended.

My opinion, I'd have little interest in Berry, Cortez or Higgins.  I'd be interested in Cortez as an associate coach/OC if they are already sick of him in Regina.  Berry is done in the league as a head coach or coordinator except in emergency situations.  

I'd give Chris Jones and Chapdelaine a call, mostly to pick their brains, but I wouldn't have a lot of interest in hiring them.

Lapolice isn't coming back.

Guys I'd have on my shortlist in alphabetical order (keep in mind for coordinator jobs too):

Marcus Brady (possible OC too, might want a chance outside of Milanovich's shadow)

Bobby Dyce (potential offensive or special teams assistant too)

Jason Gesser (QB coach at Wyoming, former OC and interim head coach at Idaho, former Stamp QB...possible OC/QB coach candidate)

Khari Jones

Barron Miles (possible DC or defensive assistant with personnel experience in BC too)

Mike O'Shea

Noel Thorpe

Creehan was coming off of a pretty good stint in Winnipeg where he was thought pretty highly of.

sounds like he'd have the option of having Tim Burke as DC this year.

It's Cortez for me, he would still be working in Hamilton had Obie not stepped aside and Kent Austin come in. He's got a pretty good track record and experience as an HC.

Cortez working with the offence (maybe with Khari as OC)

Burke as DC

Dickenson as STC

You could do worse.

Creehan was coming off of a pretty good stint in Winnipeg where he was thought pretty highly of.

sounds like he'd have the option of having Tim Burke as DC this year.

It's Cortez for me, he would still be working in Hamilton had Obie not stepped aside and Kent Austin come in. He's got a pretty good track record and experience as an HC.

Cortez working with the offence (maybe with Khari as OC)

Burke as DC

Dickenson as STC

You could do worse.

And who would be the HC then? We've had oh so much success with HCs trying to be coordinators lately right? The concerning thing with Cortez is how he went out and hired a poor choice at DC in his try as a HC. We've seen enough of that here when coaches bring in poor assistant coaches. Gotta hire someone who knows how to surround themselves with good people. Yeah he'd likely improve the offense a whole pile, but would the team as a whole get better? I dunno. 

The idea here is to hire a coach who can stay here for 6 or 7 years. 

First is the GM.

I want a GM who has experience going into lousy situations and building good teams and coaching staffs from the ground floor up.

Said GM would have the balls to say to a certain CEO who seems to like to get his hands dirty "Look, you hired me to rebuild this thing into a winner. Back the frick off and let me do my job."

Agreed. That would be a guy like Higgins. But doesn't look like it'll happen.