Old Bomber games

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

Watched this gem last night.  Check out Clements' footwork!

Willard Reaves just trucking guys too. Forgot how good Reaves was. Weird his name rarely comes up whenever we debate best Bomber RBs of all time and it should be in the discussion every time.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Willard Reaves just trucking guys too. Forgot how good Reaves was. Weird his name rarely comes up whenever we debate best Bomber RBs of all time and it should be in the discussion every time.

Reaves comes up often enough.... likely a Top 5 guy.

Harris

ChuckBob

Reaves 

Lewis

Hanson 

Probably fair right? 

22 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Harris

ChuckBob

Reaves 

Lewis

Hanson 

Probably fair right? 

I feel like those are the 5. Lewis, Roberts, Harris, Reaves as the top 4 in some order. For the 5th, I feel you can debate Hanson and James. Am likely missing somebody.

32 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I feel like those are the 5. Lewis, Roberts, Harris, Reaves as the top 4 in some order. For the 5th, I feel you can debate Hanson and James. Am likely missing somebody.

yeah I neglected James, much to my chagrin..... (I'm better than that... not by much, but by a little....) and I think you're right that the debate is between those two for the 5th spot. 

15 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

22 yr old Richard Nemeth played R Tackle this game at 6'6', 245.....75 lbs. less than Yoshi at the same height.

Our OL was just outstanding in this game -- and Clements matadored everyone who leaked through.

I think we got a little lucky in this game, facing Tim Cowan instead of Roy Dewalt.  Cowan couldn't hit the broad side of a barn -- he was playing with a bad elbow.

Another recent CFL upload by youtube hero Calgary Stampeders Classics. This one's interesting for historical reasons, it's the mid/late-dynasty Eskimos against an Als team that was stacked with big-money imports including QB Vince Ferragamo.  That Als team went 3-13 and it was  the start of the 1980s decline of the CFL in Montreal.

Had never seen Ferragamo play before.  He threw 7 TD passes vs 25 picks that year.

According to a youtube comment, Chris Walby is in there somewhere playing on the DL for Montreal.  Haven't spotted him yet.

And damn that stained and seemy turf is terrible, and the Big Owe is only five years old at this point.  What a boondoggle.

On 2024-03-14 at 1:51 PM, Noeller said:

Harris

ChuckBob

Reaves 

Lewis

Hanson 

Probably fair right? 

Leo Lewis rushing yards per carry season total over his career:

If he hadnt of split carries with Gerry James for the bulk of his career he may have ran for a million yards. Bud Grant also referred to him as the best football player PERIOD that he ever saw. Leo Lewis 1st, and then everyone else.

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

15 hours ago, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

22 yr old Richard Nemeth played R Tackle this game at 6'6', 245.....75 lbs. less than Yoshi at the same height.

In the next decade, the OL in the CFL & NFL would grow.... big & heavy. The Dallas Cowboys in the 90's set the standard for all OL's to follow. 

On 2024-03-14 at 2:15 PM, rebusrankin said:

Thats the order I would slate them in....

6 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Leo Lewis rushing yards per carry season total over his career:

If he hadnt of split carries with Gerry James for the bulk of his career he may have ran for a million yards. Bud Grant also referred to him as the best football player PERIOD that he ever saw. Leo Lewis 1st, and then everyone else.

Lewis can have 2nd behind Charlie for those reasons. And then everyone else.

On 2024-03-14 at 12:46 PM, GCn20 said:

I've always pumped Reaves tires but most younger fans don't remember him. They just remember Charles Roberts.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jay Washington needs to be in the debate as well.

Washington had a relatively short CFL career. He was reported to be the fastest player in the CFL at the time.

Mack Herron was outstanding until being tossed due to drug issues. Dave Raimey was a favourite of mine.

Bombers had a number of terrific RB's in the past.  It was common for RB's to also be great returners as well back when rosters were 32 players etc.

For me Lewis was my all time favourite and best player. He played so many different roles for the team. Exciting to watch.

Edited by Blue In BC

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Jay Washington needs to be in the debate as well.

Forgotr about him...more I think too even tho his time was short Robert Mimbs was a great back...almost shocked he was in CFL to be honest

15 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I didn't put Mimbs on the list because he played only 2 years with us, granted he did lead the CFL in rushing for both. Wondered about Washington but wasn't sure, glad people mentioned him.

Blink was great but to me its Lewis due to a higher yard per carry and 4 Cup wins..

I'd have to go Lewis as well. Legend.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a specific old Bomber game related question but this seems the most appropriate thread to ask this following question. I was over on Facebook, and there was a posting about how the Bombers coaches and players had a meeting and decided to turf Sean Salisbury during the 1989 season. I don't remember this, or perhaps I have chosen to forget it? Lee Saltz did take over and play the final few games and playoffs despite Salisbury leading the East in passing at the time. I just thought we released him to go to the NFL? Does anyone recall this?

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not a specific old Bomber game related question but this seems the most appropriate thread to ask this following question. I was over on Facebook, and there was a posting about how the Bombers coaches and players had a meeting and decided to turf Sean Salisbury during the 1989 season. I don't remember this, or perhaps I have chosen to forget it? Lee Saltz did take over and play the final few games and playoffs despite Salisbury leading the East in passing at the time. I just thought we released him to go to the NFL? Does anyone recall this?

I've read SOMETHING similar... that Murphy had just had enough of his ego, and tossed him. But it's absolutely possible that the players were in on that decision as well. I think most people believe they won that 88 GC in spite of him, not because of him...

27 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I just thought we released him to go to the NFL? Does anyone recall this?

I don't know about who met with who when, but I do know that it was not Salisbury's decision to leave the Bombers.  We cut him in late October, early November -- do QBs really catch onto the NFL in October or November?  Plus, hard to imagine any CFL coach, much less Kindly Cal, doing their QB1 a solid and releasing them to chase a better opportunity just two weeks before the playoffs.

We lost seven games in a row to end that season, the final two a home-and-home to the 2-14 Rough Riders.  The team was dead on the table and needed the crash cart.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think most people believe they won that 88 GC in spite of him, not because of him...

Salisbury played great in the East Semi that year, winning in a snowstorm.  It's fair to say that he didn't really light it up in the Grey Cup (tho what QB plays well in 60km/h winds?) but there's no way in hell that DeWalt or Muecke would've even gotten us to the title game.  We would've been smoked by the TiCats in the ESF with either of those guys behind center.

Edited by johnzo

I was too young but 88 and 89 seems like such a strange year. I’ve seen most of the regular season games and the 2 playoff games/GC. 

I don’t recall such a consistently underwhelming team making a run like that until maybe this past years Alouettes. 

Like some of the 88 games, the Bombers were SO bad. The games against Sask in particular looked like 2013. 

The next year, they almost did it again, while looking even worse in their losses. Then you watch the EF/ESF from both those years and it’s like someone took their controller back from their kid. 

(Totally off topic) 1989 was also the only year until ‘22 that the Bombers wore white at home. The whole league did, for about half the regular season games. Very odd visual here. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

I was too young but 88 and 89 seems like such a strange year. I’ve seen most of the regular season games and the 2 playoff games/GC. 

I don’t recall such a consistently underwhelming team making a run like that until maybe this past years Alouettes. 

Like some of the 88 games, the Bombers were SO bad. The games against Sask in particular looked like 2013. 

The next year, they almost did it again, while looking even worse in their losses. Then you watch the EF/ESF from both those years and it’s like someone took their controller back from their kid. 

(Totally off topic) 1989 was also the only year until ‘22 that the Bombers wore white at home. The whole league did, for about half the regular season games. Very odd visual here. 

Saw the Beeman’s gum ad on the sidelines, almost forgot about that big time corporate sponsor for TSN. Anyone who dislikes the repetitive Save-On food commercials today would be gouging their eyes out at the lame Beeman’s spots that ran ad nauseum that season. 

On 2024-03-16 at 7:41 PM, rebusrankin said:

I didn't put Mimbs on the list because he played only 2 years with us, granted he did lead the CFL in rushing for both. Wondered about Washington but wasn't sure, glad people mentioned him.

I think there's a second tier of all-time running backs for people like Washington, Mimbs and especially Fred Reid.  Will always be a Fast Freddy fan, he and Terrance Edwards were two guys worth watching on the terrible Bombers of 2009-2010 and his big game against the Lions is one of my top ten favorite bomber games.

I think if Chris Garrett hadn't have torn his Achilles, he would've been a great CFL running back. That dude looked complete to me -- power, speed, and moves.