2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

1 hour ago, BBlink said:

Really enjoyed hearing Walters talk about the depth they added in the draft, but also about some of the guys that were drafted in previous years that they expect are going to make an impact both at role positions and special teams

Clercius, MCI, Ford (I know he did play for us but he's an improvement), Charboneau, Kelly (stepping up to AR), MacDougall. Not to mention the global guys who will be competing for the last "Canadian" spot.

And we only really lost Briggs, Miller (who wasn't actually playing) and Exume?

Our special teams have to be better this year, right? 

The level of athleticism should be increased.

Clercius is an exciting guy to me.  When you watch his videos he competes really hard and is a hell of an athlete with that size.  There's a lot of downfield shots in there, he's great at tracking the ball and finishing the play.  Skill set is a bit of a mix of Demski and Wolitarsky.  The willingness to go hard in blocking and special teams as a receiver is huge too....not often a guy who has those ball skills is that willing.

Only concern there is long-term if he does turn into something he might have the pull to head home.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The level of athleticism should be increased.

Clercius is an exciting guy to me.  When you watch his videos he competes really hard and is a hell of an athlete with that size.  There's a lot of downfield shots in there, he's great at tracking the ball and finishing the play.  Skill set is a bit of a mix of Demski and Wolitarsky.  The willingness to go hard in blocking and special teams as a receiver is huge too....not often a guy who has those ball skills is that willing.

Only concern there is long-term if he does turn into something he might have the pull to head home.

Just win here....or be contending yearly....that and the culture here is a strong pull to retain guys.....if they are used that is....we need to utilize our young talent and actually give them snaps...we have lagged a lot in that capacity over recent yrs...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Kelly should have been on active roster all year long....when he was on he was one the top ST guys we employed....losing games for the likes of Schmeckle...That Oline guy we dressed earlier in the yr for no particular reason...Named started with an S....thats how much an impact he made on my mind....Bennett...who better really bring it and show he belongs, or be cut in camp....just a complete head shaker...almost on par with the Jackson lunacy....so odd he hasn't been scooped up for his stellar DI use elsewhere...tells you something especially with a few real weak sisters in the league

100%. 
 I think the possible hold back will be having 3 ni Ss on the roster. Previously I thought we would platoon ford and Kramdi. But If they keep kramdi at Sam and start ford at corner it could make sense to keep the extra ni db on the ar. 

I had hoped we’d look at Karamoko more on the ar this year as well but we don’t seem to be seriously looking to replace Sheehan. But I suspect we will keep a global lber playing teams instead. Weitz should have a quick easy transition to playing teams up here though ogbeveon sounds like he has more upside. 

I can’t imagine smekle beating out Samson. 

56 minutes ago, Booch said:

Just win here....or be contending yearly....that and the culture here is a strong pull to retain guys.....if they are used that is....we need to utilize our young talent and actually give them snaps...we have lagged a lot in that capacity over recent yrs...

His ability to beat guys and separate deep was surprising. And he’s smoother than you’d expect with his role type. Pretty excited to see what he can do, I love that mix of talent athleticism and character. 

57 minutes ago, Booch said:

Kept woli here through some really low touch seasons. 

17 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

100%. 
 I think the possible hold back will be having 3 ni Ss on the roster. Previously I thought we would platoon ford and Kramdi. But If they keep kramdi at Sam and start ford at corner it could make sense to keep the extra ni db on the ar. 

I had hoped we’d look at Karamoko more on the ar this year as well but we don’t seem to be seriously looking to replace Sheehan. But I suspect we will keep a global lber playing teams instead. Weitz should have a quick easy transition to playing teams up here though ogbeveon sounds like he has more upside. 

I can’t imagine smekle beating out Samson. 

His ability to beat guys and separate deep was surprising. And he’s smoother than you’d expect with his role type. Pretty excited to see what he can do, I love that mix of talent athleticism and character. 

Kept woli here through some really low touch seasons. 

and he was on verge of leavibg too going into his second deal....but he gave it one more shot here...and paid off....too bad with BOLO we didnt allow him any opp whatsoever....ThoI think the new kid has more upside and use here....no knock on BOLO but he isn't the physical guy the new fella is

I cant see any ay...or reason Schmekle and Kornelson (sp)??...can make the active roster...Kornelson possinly PR'd....but Schmeckle I see zero future here...and should have been clipped last yr..

53 minutes ago, Booch said:

and he was on verge of leavibg too going into his second deal....but he gave it one more shot here...and paid off....too bad with BOLO we didnt allow him any opp whatsoever....ThoI think the new kid has more upside and use here....no knock on BOLO but he isn't the physical guy the new fella is

I cant see any ay...or reason Schmekle and Kornelson (sp)??...can make the active roster...Kornelson possinly PR'd....but Schmeckle I see zero future here...and should have been clipped last yr..

Yeah. Only way I see either sticking around, other than getting moved to ol which isn’t needed, is if Thomas retires or gets hurt and is out for a good while. 
 Especially since we will have the roster flexibility to carry a di dl again full time. 

I see no need for either other than PR emergency....same can be said with Thomas really...if he takes an active roster spot on game day roster...thats a huge swing and miss...he should be for insurance in case Lawson gets hurt, and Samson isnt cutting it in a limited role rotation...which is what Thomas should be at most....why slow down a rookies development if you dont have to....rostering a rapidly declining player soley on tenure/loya;ty at expense of a younger player, if they are at par is plain dumb

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

Stove moved to the retired list by BC. They also released Menard.

i'd scoop Menard as Bennets replacement in a heartbeat...and with him and Lawson there are your 2 Canadian dline guys ...see ya Thomas..Schmeckle and Kornelson who I dont see amounting to anything really either

3 hours ago, Booch said:

i'd scoop Menard as Bennets replacement in a heartbeat...and with him and Lawson there are your 2 Canadian dline guys ...see ya Thomas..Schmeckle and Kornelson who I dont see amounting to anything really either

the only thing is Menard is the same age as Thomas with worse stats, If it was 2 years ago Menard, maybe

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Torn his achilles twice.

Not a good fat man injury.

Stove isn’t fat, but it’s an awful injury for such a big guy. He’s stocky af. His game is predicated on the explosive first step too. 
 I don’t blame them at all for giving him a shot. He’s worth a flyer. But he’s a long shot to say the least. 

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

the only thing is Menard is the same age as Thomas with worse stats, If it was 2 years ago Menard, maybe

Pretty much. I’d take Kongbo over menard. And neither is likely. 

We don’t as much need a ni de now though. We’ve got dts, and dbs with 6 starters on offence and we don’t have to burn a di any more. Realistically we could use our 3rd imp wr on the kr too. We can easily di a 3rd de to rotate.