2023/2024 CFL (Non Bombers) Off Season News

Noeller

8 hours ago, Doublezero said:

RedBlacks will have to wrestle him from the clutches of Sask first, apparently. Hate the thought of Brown in Sask BTW: 

...." O’Day would not answer questions about (Dru) Brown directly while he remains under contract with Winnipeg but did admit landing the quarterback being dubbed ‘the next one’ by fans and media makes for a nice hypothetical. “That would be a very attractive scenario,” he grinned. “That’s the idea is you’d like to have the succession plan in place." https://3downnation.com/2024/01/13/riders-very-aware-of-need-for-trevor-harris-succession-plan-at-quarterback/#google_vignette

Trevor Harris may have taken a haircut in Sask, but it's nowhere near as big as the one Masoli just received from Ottawa. 

"The 35-year-old receives a $45,000 signing bonus in his reworked agreement totalling $133,800 in hard money. He can earn up to $90,000 more in playtime incentives, broken down to $5,000 per game for playing 51 percent or more of the team's offensive snaps. His maximum earning potential is $236,800."

In 2023 Masoli was scheduled to earn.

Hard money: $425,000
Maximum value: $433,000

The RB's are opening the door wide for Brown to step on in at $250k + playtime incentives.  Masoli will make tasty trade bait mid-season if he comes back healthy and in shape.

Edited by Fatty Liver

11 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't understand why Brown would choose that situation over sitting behind Collaros.... I mean if you're gonna sit behind someone....?? Unless he just assumes Harris is gonna get hurt again...

Zach in an entrenched, MOP starter. He plays every game outside of injury or end of year scenarios. Coaches will let him play himself out of rough stretches, because they know he's capable of it. Zach has 2 years left on his deal and no one knows if he is going to retire at that point. 

Then you got Harris, who has completed maybe 4 games for the Riders and has a new coach with zero ties to him. Injury, poor play, losing streak. Multiple scenarios where they could potentially make a QB switch. Harris has one year left on his deal and would need to prove he's worth it to get another deal.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Wonder if Jones will toss dirty Duke Williams a lifeline.

Jones is probably sitting by the phone now trying to decide if it's too early to call Duke. Won't want to seem to eager, but won't want to miss out on the opportunity to add Spitty McEyegouge. He's probably had to change his shorts twice already in anticipation. 

Confirms Harris didn't take much of a pay cut from O'Day, leaving no room for Brown.

The Riders turned his $250,000 February 1 roster bonus into a signing bonus within his reworked 2024 contract. He has a $189,500 base salary, $15,000 in marketing money, $13,800 in housing and $5,000 in travel for a total of $473,300 in hard money. Harris has playtime incentives worth up to $27,000, broken down to $1,500 per game for playing 51 percent or more of the offensive snaps.

Despite taking his total down $24,700 from $525,000 to $500,300, Harris takes home more money after taxes. American players who maintain a permanent residence south of the border are taxed 15 percent on any signing bonus — much less than their usual Canadian tax rate.

17 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Confirms Harris didn't take much of a pay cut from O'Day, leaving no room for Brown.

The Riders turned his $250,000 February 1 roster bonus into a signing bonus within his reworked 2024 contract. He has a $189,500 base salary, $15,000 in marketing money, $13,800 in housing and $5,000 in travel for a total of $473,300 in hard money. Harris has playtime incentives worth up to $27,000, broken down to $1,500 per game for playing 51 percent or more of the offensive snaps.

Despite taking his total down $24,700 from $525,000 to $500,300, Harris takes home more money after taxes. American players who maintain a permanent residence south of the border are taxed 15 percent on any signing bonus — much less than their usual Canadian tax rate.

Thank god. If Dru Brown ever went there he would be dead to me.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Why?

Walters has said at some point  he will have to move on and start allocating the funds to the remaining players on our FA list.

Right now he's holding off because, if one or both of Brady and Dalton sign, it will mean making different choices. But at some point, he's going to accept that they're not going to sign and he'll move on. This decision will need to be made with enough time left before free agency to negotiate the remaining contracts we want to extend. 

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Walters has said at some point  he will have to move on and start allocating the funds to the remaining players on our FA list.

Right now he's holding off because, if one or both of Brady and Dalton sign, it will mean making different choices. But at some point, he's going to accept that they're not going to sign and he'll move on. This decision will need to be made with enough time left before free agency to negotiate the remaining contracts we want to extend. 

That was always the case though... what do the other signings around the league have to do with this?  I mean a guy like Purifoy resigning in Edmonton has no bearing on Schoen or Brady's situation.  I haven't seen too many signings (if any) that I'd been wishing the player had made it to FA.

16 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

That was always the case though... what do the other signings around the league have to do with this?  I mean a guy like Purifoy resigning in Edmonton has no bearing on Schoen or Brady's situation.  I haven't seen too many signings (if any) that I'd been wishing the player had made it to FA.

It does not have any direct bearing, other than the fact that there was a post-Christmas lull and now things seem to be picking up again.

Walters will need time to get other players under contract and/or figure put replacement plans and we still seem to be in a holding pattern. Probably can't let it go on too much longer. 

20 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If fa starts and one or both aren’t under contract it sounds like walters will pursue replacements with those dollars rather than wait and hope they return. 
 I’d wait on schoen and not on Brady. 

I understand the reasoning on wait on Schoen, but he may be the more difficult sign. I can't help but think he's going to have a few teams bidding higher than we can reasonably expect to compete with.