2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Maybe he sits on the 6 game all year like Miller and doesn’t count towards the cap? Hopefully? Who am I kidding, he’s starting. 

12 seasons on a body by macdonalds, and he’s hardly ever missed games. He’s way past it, but he must be made of some seriously tough stuff. 
 I mean he’s our back up to the back up ol, who else would do that lol. He’s also return two kick offs so he’s versatile what’s not to love 🤪 Fun fact he has 31 career sacks, just behind the 38 of Jackson jeffcoat. Imagine if jj leaves in fa and some how Thomas passes him? lol!

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

12 seasons on a body by macdonalds, and he’s hardly ever missed games. He’s way past it, but he must be made of some seriously tough stuff. 
 I mean he’s our back up to the back up ol, who else would do that lol. He’s also return two kick offs so he’s versatile what’s not to love 🤪 Fun fact he has 31 career sacks, just behind the 38 of Jackson jeffcoat. Imagine if jj leaves in fa and some how Thomas passes him? lol!

Sounds like this could be the reason he’s paying the Club to play. 

poor signing...money that could have went elsewhere....Like retaining a young usefull Canadian with upside like BOLO....Going toward Mason Bennett....Part of that toward Schoen...or whomever and fill his spot with a draft pick with upside other than running up and down field on special teams...especially when there may be even fewer special team snaps now with possible new kick off rules....so dumb

32 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Sounds like this could be the reason he’s paying the Club to play. 

majority of his sacks are the result of guys like JJ...WJ and others basically funneling the QB right into him....where have you seen him use speed...technique....power to blow up O-line guys to get a sack...very rare...especially the last 3..4 yrs

40 minutes ago, Noeller said:

sigh.... I'm as big a fan of Jake's as anyone..... appreciate everything he's accomplished.....but man, couldn't this money have been spent on Mason Bennett? 

It depends what he signed for. If he's league minimum it effects our ability to sign Bennett in no way. I do agree that we probably should have just went rookie tho.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

It depends what he signed for. If he's league minimum it effects our ability to sign Bennett in no way.

wont be league minimum tho....and he still blocks and takes reps away from a new guy with upside...a young guy we draft...and really...is he gonna be a key fixture next yr when it really matters?....I am sure some these signings are Osh encouraging it to Walters...Just waiting for the Jackson extended for 3 yrs announcement....

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

wont be league minimum tho....and he still blocks and takes reps away from a new guy with upside...a young guy we draft...and really...is he gonna be a key fixture next yr when it really matters?....I am sure some these signings are Osh encouraging it to Walters...Just waiting for the Jackson extended for 3 yrs announcement....

Walters has a mind of his own and they make these decisions in tandem. He had a good interview with Donavan Bennett a week or so ago and stated that he has final say over the roster and has and will use it. He listens to the coaching staffs opinions and then goes from there and decides how they fit into his SMS or if they will fit into his SMS. He said that the coaches trust the scouting pipeline and if a deal can't be worked out with a player the coaches would like to have that they trust the process of how he decides on that.

Edited by GCn20

If they wanted to sign thse borderline guys....ones they knew who wanted to be here other than anywhere else...they should have signed them after the free agency open if we had a target on some new blood, then say here is what we got left over for you....take it or leave it....going about it assbackwards in my opinion

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

If they wanted to sign thse borderline guys....ones they knew who wanted to be here other than anywhere else...they should have signed them after the free agency open if we had a target on some new blood, then say here is what we got left over for you....take it or leave it....going about it assbackwards in my opinion

Again...depends what he signed for. If he is at league min, and we don't know he isn't, then maybe they just want some cost certainty at DT NAT rotation at a low price. There are some big assumptions being made that his contract is taking away money from other signings and that simply may not be the case.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

In 5 years the corpse of Jake Thomas will still be a bomber. Guess we decided , hey let’s not get better. 

Again, all depends on what his intended usage is.  I don't think Walters is a fool. It's quite possible that they sat Fatboi down and told him his role and salary are taking a nose dive this year but if he wants to accept that here is a contract. We did it with Harris so I am not sure why Fatboi would be immune to reality.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, Goalie said:

Nah man. This guy was done last year. If it’s more than 5 snaps a game it’s pointless. This one makes me wonder. Just a dumb signing. 

I agree that it is not the best, but I will wait and see the team assembled around him first.

Just now, GCn20 said:

Again...depends what he signed for. If he is at league min, and we don't know he isn't, then maybe they just want some cost certainty at DT NAT rotation at a low price. There are some big assumptions being made that his contract is taking away money from other signings and that simply may not be the case.

regardless what he signed for thats not the key issue...it's money that could be used toward the addition of new young blood with usefulness and upside, for the yrs to come, and valuable reps taken away from the development of an already here, or again new player.

Think of where Lawson could have been at right now with 80 percent of the snaps since 2022?....It's just another example of clinging to some of the status quo loyal foot soldiers who you have an affinity for....a yr or 2...now 3 yrs too long, and basically not allowing your team to evolve, or get better

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Again, all depends on what his intended usage is. 

and it should be to sit on the PR in case of a rash of Dline injuries where u can just plug him in...but we know that won't happen

18 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Nah man. This guy was done last year. If it’s more than 5 snaps a game it’s pointless. This one makes me wonder. Just a dumb signing. 

Not dumb IF you're aim is to retain ol vets so you can stick with the status quo....and that's what this smells like....Big hearted Osh ...but that ain't smart football