2023/2024 Blue Bombers Off-Season Thread (BRADY’S BACK! DALTON’S BACK!)

Noeller

7 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea..pretty much. You bring guys in late season with the PR expansion and find the ones you want back for camp the next year. I am not sure where Mike thinks we get all these game ready rookies from? Any CFL team might be able to get 1 or 2 a year. The rest need some time.

That’s not what I’m talking about, but keep going. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Yea..pretty much. You bring guys in late season with the PR expansion and find the ones you want back for camp the next year. I am not sure where Mike thinks we get all these game ready rookies from? Any CFL team might be able to get 1 or 2 a year. The rest need some time.

He’s clearly talking about the mcknights types that we keep cycling through repeatedly. Also we haven’t used the pr expansion as a tc try out since the xfl/usfl started up. It just isn’t viable any more. 

26 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

He’s clearly talking about the mcknights types that we keep cycling through repeatedly. Also we haven’t used the pr expansion as a tc try out since the xfl/usfl started up. It just isn’t viable any more. 

That seems to be exactly what they did late in the season for a number of players invited to TC next season, they brought them in for a tryout during the last bye week, took a quick look and sent them home.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

That seems to be exactly what they did late in the season for a number of players invited to TC next season, they brought them in for a tryout during the last bye week, took a quick look and sent them home.

That was my impression too. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

We do and have used the late season expansion for that since XFL/USFL.

49 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

For sure. It's SOP.

11 hours ago, Mike said:

That’s not what I’m talking about, but keep going. 

We signed guys we brought in for late season PR, you complained about it...so if that's not what you were talking about don't get upset when ppl can't read your mind.

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

How was that clearly what he was talking about?

Edited by GCn20

9 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

I don’t think those guys will be back in tc. 

9 hours ago, JCon said:

We used to do that. 

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t think those guys will be back in tc. 

We used to do that. 

We just signed a couple of them.

11 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

As discussed a few days back, Bombers announced they signed 9 players for next year, many of who visited in the fall.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/28/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-nine-including-qb-terry-wilson-jr/#google_vignette

Yea...that's what I thought Mike was talking about since he posted right after that.

21 hours ago, JCon said:

It's the entire reason the CFL expands the PR for that 3 week window late in the season every year. Every team does it because the PR is expanded, so you look at some prospects and send them home when the PR window closes. I am unclear why WBB thinks we don't utilize that window anymore. Of course we do.

what we fail to do...is plop guys on our PR that cant cut it, and or get no chance to show anything and when have injuries avoid them like the plague, and suffer with our roster, instead of evaluating guys....maybe give them a opportunity, then either develop further, or cut bait and replace with someone else....that's where we fail...we seemed to have stopped continually turning over stones and trying to get better...we stand pat too much now with what we settled with out of camp....whether they have a future or upside...or not.....thats recruitment and roster management failure clear and simple

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

what we fail to do...is plop guys on our PR that cant cut it, and or get no chance to show anything and when have injuries avoid them like the plague, and suffer with our roster, instead of evaluating guys....maybe give them a opportunity, then either develop further, or cut bait and replace with someone else....that's where we fail...we seemed to have stopped continually turning over stones and trying to get better...we stand pat too much now with what we settled with out of camp....whether they have a future or upside...or not.....thats recruitment and roster management failure clear and simple

What guys should have been replaced by PR guys in your opinion. I have absolutely no issue with our recruitment, or letting guys ripen on the vine. If you had it your way Holm would have been cut in TC. Now look. Some guys need development time and I have no issue with that and don't see that as either a recruitment or roster management failure. Where have we stopped turning over stones? We continually find great rookies in the past few years. Sorry, I am not seeing that. I think we have had good success with our PR development.

Now, what positions we choose to keep on the PR, that's worth discussing for sure. 

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Speaking of practice rosters......how long has Drew Richmond been hanging around and is he ready to replace (adequately) one of the current OTs?

He's already been waiting 4 years, if Stanley decides not to retire, I guess he can move on or wait another year.  Beats out Manase Foketi who got tired of waiting after 2 full seasons on the PR 2016-18, decided not to bother showing up for TC in 2019.  Tim Flanders also spent 3 years on the PR waiting for Andrew Harris to go down, he rarely did so he went to FA in 2019.

I’m talking about guys like Nate Givhan, who were in camp last year … or Tyrique McGhee/Kelvin McKnight who get signed 87 times but aren’t good enough to play.

It’s becoming habitual and I don’t love it. We’re signing gap fillers instead of guys who can be real players because we seemingly have no urgency to build and develop depth, which must be driving Walters nuts 

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

He's already been waiting 4 years, if Stanley decides not to retire, I guess he can move on or wait another year.  Beats out Manase Foketi who got tired of waiting after 2 full seasons on the PR 2016-18, decided not to bother showing up for TC in 2019.  Tim Flanders also spent 3 years on the PR waiting for Andrew Harris to go down, he rarely did so he went to FA in 2019.

Where is Flanders now? I don't think both fleeing the team caused any seismic reaction. 

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

nice....good portion went to this yr cap ....freeing up valuable cash for the Schoens and BO's....expect a few more before the yr is up

One benefit of not adding late in the season, we had some extra cash to spend. Figured Willie would be the first domino. He was probably camping outside Walter's door when he was signing his contract handing him his new one to sign. Dude loves it here.

Edited by GCn20

6 hours ago, Slimy Sculpin said:

Speaking of practice rosters......how long has Drew Richmond been hanging around and is he ready to replace (adequately) one of the current OTs?

6 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yeah long time guy. 
 Is he ready? Yes. In his reps over the last couple years he’s been very good both pre season and late season. 
 The question is will he physically hold up to starting every game. Don’t and won’t know till he’s in the fire. 

11 minutes ago, greenrider55 said:

Willie will either stay with Winnipeg for his career, or retire. His family loves it there.

yep, holly is the First Lady of Winnipeg. They’ve lived here full time for a couple years now iirc. He might be a candidate for coaching down the road too. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

He doesn't need to be pushed...he needs to have reduced reps to greatly increase his effectiveness 

I 100% think the answer is flipping the dt ratio spot and running full imp starters on the dl. Sign oakman, bring in noses to rotate with walker and oakman use Lawson to bring in an imp db/ rotate guys. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah long time guy. 
 Is he ready? Yes. In his reps over the last couple years he’s been very good both pre season and late season. 
 The question is will he physically hold up to starting every game. Don’t and won’t know till he’s in the fire. 

yep, holly is the First Lady of Winnipeg. They’ve lived here full time for a couple years now iirc. He might be a candidate for coaching down the road too. 

I 100% think the answer is flipping the dt ratio spot and running full imp starters on the dl. Sign oakman, bring in noses to rotate with walker and oakman use Lawson to bring in an imp db/ rotate guys. 

Holly is great people. She and I used to chat when WJ played for the Riders, lots of love for the Jefferson family.