Which Vets do we cut next season

Brandon

7 minutes ago, blue85gold said:

Do we still have them? Finished the season on the PR, for FA unless re-signed.

We have them.  Both guys got stashed on the one game IR so they did not finish the season on the PR.

WPG TRF TO INJURED AMER Celestin HABA (DL)    Texas A&M Commerce – to Nov-20

WPG TRF TO INJURED AMER Miles FOX (DL)    Wake Forest – to Nov-20

Edited by bigg jay

1 hour ago, Booch said:

I think Garbut is the better prospect for end.....so having both he and Haba is a nice luxury going into camp

I suspect a couple more DEs will be added to that mix as well. We are at the point now where we gotta be developing a starting DE for 2025 I would think. 

Edited by GCn20

6 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I suspect a couple more DEs will be added to that mix as well. We are at the point now where we gotta be developing a starting DE for 2025 I would think. 

Well, we still don't know if Jeffcoat is coming back either.... Lots of talk that he might retire. That would change a lot of things.

On 2023-12-01 at 3:25 PM, TBURGESS said:

Adams a top 3 starter last year was @ $285K + bonuses. Brown, a wanna be starter isn't going to get a $300K+ salary. 

Spot on, as usual. 

On 2023-11-30 at 7:48 PM, JCon said:

I would say, a 2-year deal $300k & $400k. Includes a $125k & $125k signing/roster  bonus. 

He has some leverage. 

Not too far off. 

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Way more money than I was expecting. Good for Dru. Then again... "Brown will earn $290,000 in hard money in 2024" isn't $300K+ ;)

340k and 400k. Those are the numbers. Every QB has playtime bonuses built into their contract and no one subtracts those when we talk about how much the contract is. No different for Dru. He negotiated a 300k+ contract.

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

340k and 400k. Those are the numbers. Every QB has playtime bonuses built into their contract and no one subtracts those when we talk about how much the contract is. No different for Dru. He negotiated a 300k+ contract.

$290K is the hard money. $340K is what he could earn if he starts all the games and hits all the bonuses. Big overpay IMO.

They are paying a starters salary to a guy who has yet to become a starter. At $290K he's making more than Adams, the third best QB in the league last year & BLM ($225K hard money) & Masoli ($133K Hard Money) all vets with tons of experience, although BLM and Masoli also have huge injury issues & should have retired IMO.

My guess on top QB contracts:

Collaros, Harris, Fajardo, MBT, Maier, Brown. (One of these QB's is not like the others)

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

$290K is the hard money. $340K is what he could earn if he starts all the games and hits all the bonuses. Big overpay IMO.

They are paying a starters salary to a guy who has yet to become a starter. At $290K he's making more than Adams, the third best QB in the league last year & BLM ($225K hard money) & Masoli ($133K Hard Money) all vets with tons of experience, although BLM and Masoli also have huge injury issues & should have retired IMO.

Collaros, Harris, Fajardo, MBT, Maier, Brown. (One of these QB's is not like the others)

I agree. Great Brown got paid but the RedBlacks are paying him on anticipated future performances & not on experience. And therein lies the problem with Ottawa. They've taken the starting position away from Dustin Crumb who had a year's experience & played like a warrior. There's no consistency with continually playing musical chairs with their qbs. How can anyone develop when they're being replaced? I expect the same **** from the RedBlacks this season.

When does paying for anticipated future performance work out for young QB's with very few reps? Mike Reilly in 2013 is the only one I can remember. Before that??? Brown is more likely to Arbuckle than Reilly.

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

He’s going to be a starter so you have to pay him as a starter.

He will not be among the highest paid, I’m not sure you have a guy who’s going to get 340 in the same list as Zach and Kelly (you actually forgot Kelly) who are making 600k.

He’s pretty much making the bare minimum amount. 

23 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

When does paying for anticipated future performance work out for young QB's with very few reps? Mike Reilly in 2013 is the only one I can remember. Before that??? Brown is more likely to Arbuckle than Reilly.

That's my thought. He'll be more Arbuckle than Reilly. We'll see. I don't want to write him off before he even plays.

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He’s going to be a starter so you have to pay him as a starter.

He will not be among the highest paid, I’m not sure you have a guy who’s going to get 340 in the same list as Zach and Kelly (you actually forgot Kelly) who are making 600k.

He’s pretty much making the bare minimum amount. 

How do you know he's gonna be the starter tho?...Crum is coming back ...same system...2nd yr in it, and if the coaching there gets better....he may outright win the starter spot

And as It is now the QB on that roster with the most upside in my opinion is that Admas...so curious to see how he looks when he is healed up

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I agree. Great Brown got paid but the RedBlacks are paying him on anticipated future performances & not on experience. And therein lies the problem with Ottawa. They've taken the starting position away from Dustin Crumb who had a year's experience & played like a warrior. There's no consistency with continually playing musical chairs with their qbs. How can anyone develop when they're being replaced? I expect the same **** from the RedBlacks this season.

and totally this...they paying lil more in advance now, thinking he will be the next big thing...He could just become another in the long line of Jennings..Franklins...Arbuckles...I'd even throw Maier into that right now too....Wish him well, but he wanted to get paid...as well as have the chance to start....but if he was so sure of it too....Why not come to camp here as well on a one yr deal, with incentives and a clause if he beats out ZC outright...he will be compensated.....Everyone wants to start no doubt...this was more about getting paid decently now, as opposed to being payed fair now for the opportunity to be paid large later here

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Trevor Harris - first 3 seasons with Toronto: 76 passing attempts - only started one game. 

Dru Brown - first 3 seasons with Winnipeg: 102 passing attempts - only started 3 games. 

Just now, bigg jay said:

Trevor Harris - first 3 seasons with Toronto: 76 passing attempts - only started one game. 

Dru Brown - first 3 seasons with Winnipeg: 102 passing attempts - only started 3 games. 

It's not hard to find example after example. But, won't change people trying to cover up their terrible opinions and projections. Same stuff, over and over. Block and ignore is the only solution.

Just now, bigg jay said:

Harris tho hasnt won jack....nor led anyone to the promised land...

Just now, Booch said:

Harris tho hasnt won jack....nor led anyone to the promised land...

He's done better than Arbuckle though.  Harris isn't like Reilly either, he's somewhere in the middle.  Brown could a Harris, Arbuckle or Reilly but time will tell (I don't like his odds in Ottawa though).

2 hours ago, bigg jay said:

He's done better than Arbuckle though.  Harris isn't like Reilly either, he's somewhere in the middle.  Brown could a Harris, Arbuckle or Reilly but time will tell (I don't like his odds in Ottawa though).

true......and agree....Ottawa was prob the worst place to go...next to SASK....and not just the Rider hate....but poor oline....nothing in the cupboard...and a 4.....5 yr track record now of a G.M not being able to solve it....for a young QB trying to make his mark.....u need a top tier O-line....not bottom rung

1 minute ago, Booch said:

How do you know he's gonna be the starter tho?...Crum is coming back ...same system...2nd yr in it, and if the coaching there gets better....he may outright win the starter spot

And as It is now the QB on that roster with the most upside in my opinion is that Admas...so curious to see how he looks when he is healed up

and totally this...they paying lil more in advance now, thinking he will be the next big thing...He could just become another in the long line of Jennings..Franklins...Arbuckles...I'd even throw Maier into that right now too....Wish him well, but he wanted to get paid...as well as have the chance to start....but if he was so sure of it too....Why not come to camp here as well on a one yr deal, with incentives and a clause if he beats out ZC outright...he will be compensated.....Everyone wants to start no doubt...this was more about getting paid decently now, as opposed to being payed fair now for the opportunity to be paid large later here

He's going to find out what it's like to play behind an inferior offensine line. He won't have the same grind it out running game with Oliveira although he has a thousand yard rusher in Devonte Williams. Brown has a couple of good receivers in Dominique Rhymes & Justin Harty. The rest of the cast is meh. He'll have a hard time throwing deep if he's on his back which is what I expect is going to happen.