Call it what you want … you need to move on from Collaros

Mike

On 2023-12-25 at 7:59 PM, GCn20 said:

Ford needs more development. Get MBT and set up a Ford package of plays. Use him like we did with Strev.

I watched a CFL game from late August on TSN the week. It was the week before LD. Elks vs RedBlacks. Ford can run but he can't throw. He still had 250 yards passing because the RedBlacks secondary is just terrible. Receivers were WIIIIIDE OPEN all over the place. Watching the RedBlacks play is just torture. I can't get over how bad that team is. How the hell did we ever lose to that garbage team??

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I watched a CFL game from late August on TSN the week. It was the week before LD. Elks vs RedBlacks. Ford can run but he can't throw. He still had 250 yards passing because the RedBlacks secondary is just terrible. Receivers were WIIIIIDE OPEN all over the place. Watching the RedBlacks play is just torture. I can't get over how bad that team is. How the hell did we ever lose to that garbage team??

We thought we had the game and just basically quit playing but yea Ford is not ready. Has a ton of potential but isn't seeing the field well yet.

Edited by GCn20

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

People sell ford's passing short IMO. He ain't a world beater but he isn't as awful as some make him seem. He has a lot of development to do as a passer so it will be interesting to see if he manages to improve.

He's still learning... I have faith. If Damon Allen can be "something", what I've seen from Tre Ford tells me he can be at least that. 

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

He's still learning... I have faith. If Damon Allen can be "something", what I've seen from Tre Ford tells me he can be at least that. 

I think that's a good comparison.  Teams put the right pieces around Damon Allen, and won championships with him - even at 42 or whatever it was.

No one asks how you won a championship (unless you're the 2007 Riders). 

Ford can be pretty good...He needs some decent coaching....a co-coordinator to work with him, and and tailor certain things to him, and be in the right environment...Not sure if it's optimal with Jones leading the team, but I can see him doing quite well with pieces all around him....mainly coaching and guidance

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

No idea why fans like Noeller always put down what Allen did as a qb in the CFL. Second all time leading passer in CFL history behind Anthony Calvillo. Four time Grey Cup champion with 3 different teams. Played 22 years at a high level. He did what he was paid to do. Win.  And win he did. Tre Ford would be lucky to have a career where he wins a single Grey Cup. Forget about 4. 

Allen went 22-2 as a high school starting qb in Los Angeles& signed with Cal State Fullerton. Ford was recruited by a number of U Sports football teams but only Waterloo said he would play qb so he signed with them. So, there were questions about his ability as a qb going back to HS. Meanwhile, Allen was one of the top high school qbs in the State of California. 

Why do I mention that? Noeller just said if Allen can be something then Ford could as well. Right now, there's really no comparison between the passing ability of Ford compared to Allen. What I see from Ford is what I've seen from every running qb who has ever come up to the CFL. A run first mentality. If a couple of receivers are covered he takes off. He doesn't have the time (or perhaps the patience) to go thru his reads because his OL is bad. So, it's not all his fault. However, a problem OL will hinder his development as a qb. Now, Ford may develop into a first rate CFL qb eventually but we'll see. He has a long way to go. 

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

Ford can be pretty good...He needs some decent coaching....a co-coordinator to work with him, and and tailor certain things to him, and be in the right environment...Not sure if it's optimal with Jones leading the team, but I can see him doing quite well with pieces all around him....mainly coaching and guidance

He could do well being coached by Buck or Jordan Maksymic. But we all saw how bad Derek McAdoo was. It's not just coaching. It's also the quality of coaching as well. I just don't know if a HC like Chris Jones has the patience to wait. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why do I mention that? Noeller just said if Allen can be something then Ford could as well. Right now, there's really no comparison between the passing ability of Ford compared to Allen. What I see from Ford is what I've seen from every running qb who has ever come up to the CFL. A run first mentality. If a couple of receivers are covered he takes off. He doesn't have the time (or perhaps the patience) to go thru his reads because his OL is bad. So, it's not all his fault. However, a problem OL will hinder his development as a qb. Now, Ford may develop into a first rate CFL qb eventually but we'll see. He has a long way to go. 

I recall a younger Damon Allen also taking off after his first or second read.

The 'savvy vet' version of Allen played more along the lines of what you describe

6 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

The 'savvy vet' version of Allen played more along the lines of what you describe

But ,as of right now ,i dont think we can compare the two. But , i believe Ford has tremendous potential ,with the right coaching ,as Booch said.

3 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Allen, Dunigan & Ham were the qbs in Edmonton in 1987. Imagine that? IIRC, Dunigan started the 87 Grey Cup & went out with an injury late in the first half. Allen came off the bench & beat the heavily favoured Argos that day. The Esks let Dunigan go to free agency & Allen took over. He never looked back as a starter. Some fans say that he was a **** qb his entire career when he wasn't. Do you know how hard it is to win 4 Grey Cups on 4 different teams? Four different head coaches, Four different OC's. Four different playbooks. Four different sets of teammates. Four different sets of talent. Four different cultures on every team. Second in all time CFL passing yards at 72,381 yards & 394 touchdown passes. He also rushed for 11,914 yards. 

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I particularly appreciated what he accomplished when he was older. Played within his limitations, aware that he had a good Argo team around him.  As has been said, a kid like Ford could do that, given the training. 

Sure he can but Allen knew more about the game in general than Ford does now at the same time in their careers. Ford needs quality coaching  from Jarious Jackson to catch up.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

I don't think anyone here sold Ford short. What I, and others, were stating is that he still needs development. I have no doubt that if developed more he has all the ability to be a very good CFL QB. Just isn't there yet and despite what some people here think playing a QB that isn't ready is NOT the way to develop them. It's how you break them