Blue Bombers - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

10 hours ago, SteakTips said:

The biggest weakness is the two inside defensive linemen. Those positions need to be upgraded to guys who get a consistent push and can run stop. A national at one of those positions is almost a must to help ratio. The guys on the roster are not getting it done. Drafting a national prospect at one of those positions, or getting a worthy national vet in FA is a must in the offseason. For the other position, if this were going to be a serious cup run year, someone fitting the bill should have been brought in after NFL cuts. They are not getting consistent pressure unless they blitz and that will be their undoing in the playoffs. Blitzing worked against BC last time in the 2nd half, but don't count on it to work next time.

yeah we need a dominat inside guy...Walker would/is a good compliment...but he not a dominant guy game in...game out

If Moustafa Johnson is a FA this yr I would go hard at him...wouldnt break bank his next deal...and I bet would raise havoc with the Jeffs...Ideally tho I want our scouts to prioritize big athletic DY=T's and even a true nose to win the spot(s) next year.

I am fine with Lawson as our Canadian main guy....he would really kill it with a dominant interior sidekick, if we choose to start a Canadian there, but we could set up our roster to not even need a Canadian guy there other than rotation....and hope we go that route...No way with FA coming up...winter scouting and the draft that Thomas..Schmeckle should even be at camp next yr, let alone on roster...Same with Bennett....he already gonna be what...28?...and is nowhere near starter material

11 hours ago, SteakTips said:

The biggest weakness is the two inside defensive linemen. Those positions need to be upgraded to guys who get a consistent push and can run stop. A national at one of those positions is almost a must to help ratio. The guys on the roster are not getting it done. Drafting a national prospect at one of those positions, or getting a worthy national vet in FA is a must in the offseason. For the other position, if this were going to be a serious cup run year, someone fitting the bill should have been brought in after NFL cuts. They are not getting consistent pressure unless they blitz and that will be their undoing in the playoffs. Blitzing worked against BC last time in the 2nd half, but don't count on it to work next time.

We are not getting home for sacks at the rate one would expect, but we are 3rd in the league in defensive pressure % so it is not as bad as the sack numbers would have us believe.

4 hours ago, GCn20 said:

We are not getting home for sacks at the rate one would expect, but we are 3rd in the league in defensive pressure % so it is not as bad as the sack numbers would have us believe.

yeah WJ and Jeffcoat get the pressure...flush out the QB's often or make them climb up in the pocket...but we are weak up middle in the line as usually 2 guys will try and neutralize Lawson or Walker and Thomas just cant get anything done anymore save for a play here or there....It's even worse when we have to run out Bennet and thomas at same time in a rotation...basically rendering half our front line ineffective...we need a real beast up the gut in the worst way

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Booch said:

but we could set up our roster to not even need a Canadian guy there other than rotation.

This is what I would like to see to be honest... can make it work pretty easily especially if kramdi is going to play. I know you hate kramdi but he's not as bad as all that so pardon me if I tell you to kramdi it with the **** talk about him.

23 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is what I would like to see to be honest... can make it work pretty easily especially if kramdi is going to play. I know you hate kramdi but he's not as bad as all that so pardon me if I tell you to kramdi it with the **** talk about him.

I wanna see that as well....And have every reason to think next yr that Will be Ford's spot, and Kramdi likely backs it up, and just focuses on ST work for the most part....He's average at best in that spot, and what makes it more puzzling that if we gonna continue to run him out there, we dont utilize the fact we coud go all import upfront for the most part....Good depth and teamer, but if not on our roster he would not start anywhere in the league there, and be a ratio benefit....nothing anyone can say will convince me otherwise....and truth be told....Karamoko would be a way better option there just perusing our depth

and BTW ...I take no offence that i'm to Kramdi it...hahah....discussion and differing opinions dont hurt my feelings hahaha...

Edited by Booch

4 hours ago, Booch said:

yeah WJ and Jeffcoat get the pressure...flush out the QB's often or make them climb up in the pocket...but we are weak up middle in the line as usually 2 guys will try and utilize Lawson or Walker and Thomas just cant get anything done anymore save for a play here or there....It's even worse when we have to run out Bennet and thomas at same time in a rotation...basically rendering half our front line ineffective...we need a real beast up the gut in the worst way

For sure. I like Walker but he should be a rotational guy.

regarding Schoen and the rest of this season, this is from the Winnipeg Sun today: 

“This is just my homeboy, so I’m representing him out here, keeping him with us a little bit,” Wolitarsky said.

“It’s a big hit. We feel that. We’re just going to be there for him. A lot of us have been through injuries and this is his first real injury, big injury.”

It is becoming increasingly clear that the Bombers will be without Schoen for at least the rest of the CFL regular season.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

regarding Schoen and the rest of this season, this is from the Winnipeg Sun today: 

“This is just my homeboy, so I’m representing him out here, keeping him with us a little bit,” Wolitarsky said.

“It’s a big hit. We feel that. We’re just going to be there for him. A lot of us have been through injuries and this is his first real injury, big injury.”

It is becoming increasingly clear that the Bombers will be without Schoen for at least the rest of the CFL regular season.

so who is next man up then?  Brock Ralph coming out of retirement?  I see one guy on the P/R who I have never heard of?  Ravi?  So would he then come onto the playing roster?  Or?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

so who is next man up then?  Brock Ralph coming out of retirement?  I see one guy on the P/R who I have never heard of?  Ravi?  So would he then come onto the playing roster?  Or?

McRae, who's been on the PR for awhile...... 

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

With Bolo going into the starting rotation as well, probably. 

Bolo should be the starter...while Schoen out...McRae really offers nothing for us there..A big bodied physical receiver who has good hands...can cause mismatches is what we need...plus we can add an import on defence....hello Fox and Haba

30 minutes ago, Booch said:

Bolo should be the starter...while Schoen out...McRae really offers nothing for us there..A big bodied physical receiver who has good hands...can cause mismatches is what we need...plus we can add an import on defence....hello Fox and Haba

Agreed on Bolo over McCrae. And I would certainly not object to Fox and Haba being added, but I suspect the coaches want to replace an offensive body with an offensive body on the roster, so McCrae is likely added (since Bolo was already on the game day roster in B.C.), unless we would roll with Augustine as the emergency back-up at receiver, which I doubt we would. 

51 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Agreed on Bolo over McCrae. And I would certainly not object to Fox and Haba being added, but I suspect the coaches want to replace an offensive body with an offensive body on the roster, so McCrae is likely added (since Bolo was already on the game day roster in B.C.), unless we would roll with Augustine as the emergency back-up at receiver, which I doubt we would. 

Grant would be a backup at receiver as well I believe.

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Use Bolo or lose him next season, don't see why a player would stick around for years if coaching staff doesn't have the confidence to use him when the opportunity he's been waiting for comes up.  

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

yup...we covered there.....Mcrae really serves no real purpose....why use a converted rb as a receiver when you have a legit talent on roster...would just be another in a long line of questionable roster moves.....receiver goes down...Use Grant, and or Augie in sets with 2 Rb's...BO works damn well as a receiver and runs many plays set out wide......Bolo will produce if fed the ball

8 hours ago, 17to85 said:

True, although really only used as a running back on sweeps. And given the injury he suffered on one of those plays earlier this season, and the impact it had on our return game, I am more than happy to keep him on the sidelines for everything except for returns.