CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, wpgallday1960 said:

Only 12K in TO last night to watch the defending GC champs in. a prime matchup.  Frustrating that CFL can’t seem to make inroads in that market. 

I was genuinely excited to watch this game, Toronto fan base pisses me off. There is no excuse on earth why one of the biggest cities in North America can't put 25k fans into that beautiful facility.

1 minute ago, Nolby said:

I was genuinely excited to watch this game, Toronto fan base pisses me off. There is no excuse on earth why one of the biggest cities in North America can't put 25k fans into that beautiful facility.

It was encouraging to see that the fans who were there seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers sign Kerfalla Exumé following release from Montreal Alouettes.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Well well.....it looks like the wheels have fallen off and Vaj is who we thought he was ....not a starter...I don't care how you try to paint it ....T.O. was gifted a big win from a qb. ....who, let's just face it, is a back-up at best....How he ever pulled off a win against us is baffling....I think it was a combo of being too complacent and the leos playing way over their heads....They'll have to show next game, that they really belong at the top in the west, or drift back into mediocrity ......as far as I'm concerned they do not have a qb. who belongs in the class of a Collaros

Have to give the Argos D credit, Adams was under pressure all night long, throwing long balls in desperation is a bit of a Fajardo speciality but VA can do it too! The same D-line and LB crew beat up the Bombers in the GC, not sure the Bombers could handle it any better right now as that is a very physical team.  Add Chad Kelly's ability to shred a secondary plus a solid ground game and the Argos are ranked #1 until proven otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

It was encouraging to see that the fans who were there seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers sign Kerfalla Exumé following release from Montreal Alouettes.

Oh hell yes! I was gonna say I wouldn’t have minded being in on the trade for Kevin Francis. Good sts ni lber, but idk if he’s a fifo guy. 

6 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Adams threw 6 picks that directly resulted in most of Toronto's points (34 IIRC). It was a case where a player had a horrible game, not that the whole team had horrible games all at the same time. 

I'm not making any excuses for BC, just like I didn't make any excuses for WPG last week. Both teams played the best they could on the day and got beaten by better teams. Keep telling yourselves that in our case it was just a bad day by the whole team if you want to, but we won't know if that's true until we've played TOR and BC again. 

BCs defense got shredded by Kelly and the run game, and their STs surrendered a TD. It was not just one player having a bad game....although Adams did look completely and thoroughly awful. However, BC is going to get that Adams 8 or 9 times this year so they better be a lot better when Mr. Hyde Adams shows up 50% of the time.

Just now, Fatty Liver said:

Have to give the Argos D credit, Adams was under pressure all night long, throwing long balls in desperation is a bit of a Fajardo speciality but VA can do it too! The same D-line and LB crew beat up the Bombers in the GC, not sure the Bombers could handle it any better right now as that is a very physical team.  Add Chad Kelly's ability to shred a secondary plus a solid ground game and the Argos are ranked #1 until proven otherwise

The D-line pressure on Adams definitely looked to be the factor in his performance, but his decision-making wasn't great, either. Kelly looks to be the real thing, but we won't know until he has to deal with a carnivorous pass rush. He's not reluctant to run, though. That's why it would be great to have a healthy Kyrie Wilson back on the field.

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

The D-line pressure on Adams definitely looked to be the factor in his performance, but his decision-making wasn't great, either. Kelly looks to be the real thing, but we won't know until he has to deal with a carnivorous pass rush. He's not reluctant to run, though. That's why it would be great to have a healthy Kyrie Wilson back on the field.

TBH, Clements is playing pretty good this year and is just as fast as Wilson. I thought there would be a pretty steep drop off without Wilson but Clements has shown a lot of improvement this year.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

DL pressure will always make a QB look less than stellar, but Adams decision making was an abomination. If that's all it takes to get to him teams are just gonna pin their ears back and go at him. Some QB can make you pay for sending extra pressure, Adams just throws interceptions.

13 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Adams threw 6 picks that directly resulted in most of Toronto's points (34 IIRC). It was a case where a player had a horrible game, not that the whole team had horrible games all at the same time. 

I'm not making any excuses for BC, just like I didn't make any excuses for WPG last week. Both teams played the best they could on the day and got beaten by better teams. Keep telling yourselves that in our case it was just a bad day by the whole team if you want to, but we won't know if that's true until we've played TOR and BC again. 

Not arguing for the sake or arguing, but...could be said one team played best it could that day...the other didn't...hence why they lost.....and yes Adams had a bad h=game...cause he basically does this often, but also...and not saying it this [particular game but a pic could be a receiver went to the wrong spot/ran wrong route....or didn't give that extra effort to make the play...etc..etc

from my experience usually in a lopsided loss, unless there is an extreme gap in talent between 2 teams....the losing team usualy gets slapped around because most facets...if not all were filled with errors..miscues, and just not being in sync that day....and was "not" the best they could play that day...moreso dropping a giant turd....a lot of times tho it's they lost the coaching aspect of the game and got outcoached and schemed as well

12 minutes ago, Tracker said:

B.C had no run game...or didnt even try to establish one....we are built different , and have a smart QB and receiving group who should be able to exploit that rush....guess we shall see....and I wont use last yr grey cup as a barometer as we played basically with ZC at less than 50% of what he is capable of...and still should have won....but agree that until the Argos lose, or get bounced by us...whichever comes first, they should be ranked #1....Kelly tho is getting a lot of film on him now, and expect his play to start to wane...

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

TBH, Clements is playing pretty good this year and is just as fast as Wilson. I thought there would be a pretty steep drop off without Wilson but Clements has shown a lot of improvement this year.

DL pressure will always make a QB look less than stellar, but Adams decision making was an abomination. If that's all it takes to get to him teams are just gonna pin their ears back and go at him. Some QB can make you pay for sending extra pressure, Adams just throws interceptions.

Doesn't help that Campbell doesn't acknowledge the importance of a strong running game, Mizzell is good but he can't do it all on his own, and if he gets injured, they're sunk.

1 minute ago, Booch said:

B.C had no run game...or didnt even try to establish one....we are built different , and have a smart QB and receiving group who should be able to exploit that rush....guess we shall see....and I wont use last yr grey cup as a barometer as we played basically with ZC at less than 50% of what he is capable of...and still should have won....but agree that until the Argos lose, or get bounced by us...whichever comes first, they should be ranked #1....Kelly tho is getting a lot of film on him now, and expect his play to start to wane...

For sure...tendencies will be found out as film piles up and DCs will catch up to him. It's how it goes with QBs.

1 minute ago, Fatty Liver said:

Doesn't help that Campbell doesn't acknowledge the importance of a strong running game, Mizzell is good but he can't do it all on his own, and if he gets injured, they're sunk.

No that doesn't help at all for sure.

18 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Like Collaros and Flutie, Kelly is good at sandlot football, he has a strong arm, accuracy and the running ability to make it work.  He's less cerebral than MBT but the Argos are probably stronger with him at QB as long as he can maintain consistency, which was MBT's main drawback.

3 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Like Collaros and Flutie, Kelly is good at sandlot football, he has a strong arm, accuracy and the running ability to make it work.  He's less cerebral than MBT but the Argos are probably stronger with him at QB as long as he can maintain consistency, which was MBT's main drawback.

I honestly hope Kelly is the real deal because our league needs that.

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

BCs defense got shredded by Kelly and the run game, and their STs surrendered a TD. It was not just one player having a bad game....although Adams did look completely and thoroughly awful. However, BC is going to get that Adams 8 or 9 times this year so they better be a lot better when Mr. Hyde Adams shows up 50% of the time.

BC defense held Toronto to 0 yards in the first quarter. TOR only needed 329 yards to score 45 points. TOR had 106 yards rushing & 249 passing. Not great, but I wouldn't call it being shredded especially when you take the 6 turnovers into account. 

BC's offense put up 413 Net yards. They had around the same number of first downs, sacks, & Time of Possession as TOR. 

That punt return TD was a huge play for TOR.

First time Adams has looked that bad in a BC uniform. So it's once every 14 games so far, not 8 or 9 times a year. 

THE stat is turnovers: 6 for Adams, 0 for TOR. (+1 on downs each) The rest of the team mostly did their jobs.

Edited by TBURGESS

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

What if the o-line gave him more time,  what if the receivers made the wrong decisions in routes or when to go for the ball,  what if the coach called a different play.     

40 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah he looks like a complete d-bag but this league is starved for half decent qb play so if he is good that's better for the league.

it's honestly a big MEH for the league. IF kelly is the real deal. He's gone next off season.

21 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

BC defense held Toronto to 0 yards in the first quarter. TOR only needed 329 yards to score 45 points. TOR had 106 yards rushing & 249 passing. Not great, but I wouldn't call it being shredded especially when you take the 6 turnovers into account. 

BC's offense put up 413 Net yards. They had around the same number of first downs, sacks, & Time of Possession as TOR. 

That punt return TD was a huge play for TOR.

First time Adams has looked that bad in a BC uniform. So it's once every 14 games so far, not 8 or 9 times a year. 

THE stat is turnovers: 6 for Adams, 0 for TOR. (+1 on downs each) The rest of the team mostly did their jobs.

Yards will get you nothing but false hope. Losing teams quite often have the better yardage totals. In the game we shredded Saskatchewan we had about the same yardage as what TO had. No one would argue that we decimated their defence.....and you are delusional if you think this is the first time he has looked bad in a BC uniform. The guy had 4 piss poor outings for them last year alone and he only started 6 of them....not sure where you are getting 13 or 14 games from? 3 this year and 6 last year...in which he has 5 losses. Yea.....really a world beater that guy.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Yards will get you nothing but false hope. Losing teams quite often have the better yardage totals. In the game we shredded Saskatchewan we had about the same yardage as what TO had. No one would argue that we decimated their defence.....and you are delusional if you think this is the first time he has looked bad in a BC uniform. The guy had 4 piss poor outings for them last year alone and he only started 6 of them....not sure where you are getting 13 or 14 games from? 3 this year and 6 last year...in which he has 5 losses. Yea.....really a world beater that guy.

Just look at Trever Harris' career as a whole....high percentage completion on short lil dumpy passes...lots of yards between the 20's.....minimal TD's and an overall losing record

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

Winnipeg Blue Bombers sign Kerfalla Exumé following release from Montreal Alouettes

no  pun?

tsk tsk. falling down on the job.

3 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

that is a very physical team. 

opinion on pickett?