CFL - 2023 Regular Season - Discussion Thread

JCon

2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I've seen many families for many players shown on TV.

yeah...Rourkes and now Kelly's....all the time.....as it suits their sad narrative....the odd player may get one token family shot....and only if there is some circumstance "warranting" it in their pea brains

Just like they used to show theFaj's wife...way too much when they were trying to make him a thing.....like who cares.....really...

Edited by Booch

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...Rourkes and now Kelly's....all the time.....as it suits their sad narrative....the odd player may get one token family shot....and only if there is some circumstance "warranting" it in their pea brains

Just like they used to show theFaj's wife...way too much when they were trying to make him a thing.....like who cares.....really...

I'd imagine it's more a function of, if someone makes the TSN production crew aware of a families presence and seat #.

But by all means, keep on the tin foil hat if you enjoying hating on certain players. 

Just now, Geebrr said:

I do. His uncle being Jim Kelly means nothing to me  personally. It is a marginally  fun fact.

Do you honestly think it is making people watch that weren’t? 

No, but that doesn't stop Kate from trying to tell jokes or Milt and Sanchez from pantomiming tackles when they could be breaking down plays. I think the CFL game itself is why people watch, all the rest is fluffy garnish between whistles.

Ask me if I think a legendary football player and parent of an active high profile CFL player in the stands is a noteworthy oddity that doesn't happen all the time and is worth noting (if only briefly), then I say yes. I wouldn't be offended by Jim Jeffcoat stopping by IGF, getting a minute of face time between whistles and another quick shot of him waving in the crowd.

@Geebrr Would you be offended?

5 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

No, but that doesn't stop Kate from trying to tell jokes or Milt and Sanchez from pantomiming tackles when they could be breaking down plays. I think the CFL game itself is why people watch, all the rest is fluffy garnish between whistles.

Ask me if I think a legendary football player and parent of an active high profile CFL player in the stands is a noteworthy oddity that doesn't happen all the time and is worth noting (if only briefly), then I say yes. I wouldn't be offended by Jim Jeffcoat stopping by IGF, getting a minute of face time between whistles and another quick shot of him waving in the crowd.

If it was once when he is at the game - sure. TSN brings up the connection every chance they get. 

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I'd imagine it's more a function of, if someone makes the TSN production crew aware of a families presence and sea

But by all means, keep on the tin foil hat if you enjoying hating on certain players. 

I dont hate Kelly.....so not sure what you pecking at.....the Faj isn't a hate thing....just he is useless

Why not show Demski's fiance in crowd...Zacks wife and kids when he ripping a team apart....how bout Biggies and or Willies family game in and game out?...they are all there....as are many other players families on all teams game in and game out...It's just a example of TSN 's lousy production and content abilities, and their insistence on trying to force feed fans and viewers on their narrative for the week/season.....it's bush league, and for most part people could care less....most I am sure would rather see what's going on at field level...maybe player and coach interactions on sidelines between plays...things like that which would add to the telecast.....same with their lame in game interviews where they totally lose focus on whats going on...if they think people wanna hear/see that then record these pre/post and put out a weekly show of lame interviews for some league content....so ram that up your tinfoil hat narrative

Edited by Booch

1 minute ago, Booch said:

I dont hate Kelly.....so not sure what you pecking at.....the Faj isn't a hate thing....just he is useless

Why not show Demski's fiance in crowd...Zacks wife and kids when he ripping a team apart....how bout Biggies and or Willies family game in and game out?...they are all there....as are many other players families on all teams game in and game out...It's just a example of TSN 's lousy production and content abilities, and their insistence on trying to force feed fans and viewers on their narrative for the week/season.....it's bush league, and for most part people could care less....most I am sure would rather see what's going on at field level...maybe player and coach interactions on sidelines between plays...things like that which would add the telecast.....same with their lame in game interviews where thwy totally lose focus on whats going on...if they think people wanna hear/see that then record these pre/post and put out a weekly show of lame interviews for some league content....so ram that up your tinfoil hat narrative

If Darren Cameron texted TSN the seats #'s, that's exactly what they would do.

I'm guessing they just don't want to do that.

38 minutes ago, Jesse said:

He was adamant before coming to the CFL that he'd only play in Toronto. Edmonton originally had his rights.

This still cracks me up. You'd have to think it's because he's from Buffalo... but:

BMO Field to the Peace Bridge: 151km

Tim Horton's Field to the Peace Bridge: 95km

7 minutes ago, bluto said:

This still cracks me up. You'd have to think it's because he's from Buffalo... but:

BMO Field to the Peace Bridge: 151km

Tim Horton's Field to the Peace Bridge: 95km

I just associate Kelly's 'big-league' attitude with the 'big-league' city of Toronto. More glitz and glamour, perceived or otherwise

1 minute ago, bluto said:

Likely truth in that. He'd have wanted to have his friends and relations at least recognize the name of the place he was playing.

Kelly wanted to play close to home if he was gonna make 75k CDN dollars. Newsreel at 6. If I'm coming from the US to play on a rookie contract for 50k USD I would be pretty picky too. His NFL window was closed already, he wasn't desperate to play just anywhere.

24 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Kelly wanted to play close to home if he was gonna make 75k CDN dollars. Newsreel at 6. If I'm coming from the US to play on a rookie contract for 50k USD I would be pretty picky too. His NFL window was closed already, he wasn't desperate to play just anywhere.

Which does make me wonder why he wouldn’t try xfl or usfl but those do pay peanuts. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Which does make me wonder why he wouldn’t try xfl or usfl but those do pay peanuts. 

A QB can make far more in the CFL if they are good than in either of those leagues. A lot more. I'm thinking Kelly's new contract has to be in the 600k per range and that's more than he could make in the XFL or USFL in 3 years.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, wbbfan said:

Farhan says this will make him the highest paid player in the league. Good luck in the off season Argos lol

yup.....they knew this was coming....and that new contract will have a huge impact on the overall talent....and you wont get guys staying there for less, when the cost to live there is insane...nope

Just now, GCn20 said:

A QB can make far more in the CFL if they are good than in either of those leagues. A lot more. I'm thinking Kelly's new contract has to be in the 600k per range and that's more than he could make in the XFL or USFL in 3 years.

as can any impact player on offence or defence

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Farhan says this will make him the highest paid player in the league. Good luck in the off season Argos lol

Wow....this seems awfully premature to me. I think Kelly is a good QB, but he has 10 starts under his belt. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

as can any impact player on offence or defence

True...but the discrepancy at QB can be waaaaay more. No position players in the CFL making Collaros/Kelly bank.

Edited by GCn20

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Yep. Though I could see the usfl stepping up possibly. 

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

yup.....they knew this was coming....and that new contract will have a huge impact on the overall talent....and you wont get guys staying there for less, when the cost to live there is insane...nope

Mhm and I feel like they have a few guys who will be high on the free agency radar. 

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

Wow....this seems awfully premature to me. I think Kelly is a good QB, but he has 10 starts under his belt. 

True...but the discrepancy at QB can be waaaaay more.

I sure wouldn’t wanna give him that kind of money. But I would rather be in that situation than in a spot like half the league with journeymen or worse QBs. 

31 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

True...but the discrepancy at QB can be waaaaay more. No position players in the CFL making Collaros/Kelly bank.

An average QB has a lot of leverage right now. Slim pickings out there. 

14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

An average QB has a lot of leverage right now. Slim pickings out there. 

This is quite obviously true based on the contracts handed out to Harris this offseason, and to Kelly today. I would put Kelly at a hair above average for sure...but highest paid in the CFL? He has looked pretty average in many games this season. Wonder what 5-6 big name players will be shown the door this offseason to fit the extra 500k into the SMS? I value QBs a lot but making a game manager QB a 600k man is gonna hurt them. He is not a QB that can carry a team on his back. 

Edited by GCn20

5 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

This is quite obviously true based on the contracts handed out to Harris this offseason, and to Kelly today. I would put Kelly at a hair above average for sure...but highest paid in the CFL? He has looked pretty average in many games this season. Wonder what 5-6 big name players will be shown the door this offseason to fit the extra 500k into the SMS? I value QBs a lot but making a game manager QB a 600k man is gonna hurt them. He is not a QB that can carry a team on his back. 

Behave.

He has the highest quarterback rating in the league (118.7), best touchdown to interception ratio (2.29), most rushing touchdowns in the league (six), the highest percentage of drives that result in touchdowns (26.5), and percentage of completed passes over 20 yards (53.2).