Don't Look Back - 2022/2023 Bombers Off Season

Wideleft

19 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

The CFL should hire CFL Mix Tapes to do their clips. Their videos suck.

no no, instead they made CFL mix tapes stop producing highlight reels. Cause why let a young person help your brand grow? Their core fans are approaching retirement age, they don't need no kids liking the CFL!!!!

14 hours ago, BBlink said:

Walters would be dumb to let him play this year at his rookie salary when he could get a contract extension. Less of a question of what is fair and more about what is smart IMO.

Unless the plan is to take advantage of this opportunity to build the best possible team for this season to win the Grey Cup.  He can be our Scottie Pippin. 

1 hour ago, MOBomberFan said:

The NFL can go ahead and let him slip through the cracks, their loss is our gain (both our team and our league). What a relief it will be to have him back for another season on such a bargain

I have a feeling that once his NFL window closes we will be discussing extension with him. Nothing immediate but certainly before the season ends.

53 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I have a feeling that once his NFL window closes we will be discussing extension with him. Nothing immediate but certainly before the season ends.

Could be a situation that once they know more about how much cap space has been created by injuries ect they can give him a bonus on this year's cap with an extension.   I would think that there will be some more significant change for the 2024 season to fit Lawler's extra 40k or so and potentially another 100k for Schoen. Potentially one of the tackles retiring and replacing with league minimum would resolve most of this. 

3 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Could be a situation that once they know more about how much cap space has been created by injuries ect they can give him a bonus on this year's cap with an extension.   I would think that there will be some more significant change for the 2024 season to fit Lawler's extra 40k or so and potentially another 100k for Schoen. Potentially one of the tackles retiring and replacing with league minimum would resolve most of this. 

OT is not a place I wanna cheap out. When Stan and Yoshi pull the pin I am hopeful that Walters will swing for the fences and get the next best OT available in FA. That being said, maybe we uncover an absolute stud or two through recruitment but even if we do I would want them extended ASAP. If we are looking to replace at league mins in will be in the LBer, DL, secondary, and receivers...or a move to a cheaper IMP RB if need be.

1 minute ago, GCn20 said:

OT is not a place I wanna cheap out. When Stan and Yoshi pull the pin I am hopeful that Walters will swing for the fences and get the next best OT available in FA. That being said, maybe we uncover an absolute stud or two through recruitment but even if we do I would want them extended ASAP. If we are looking to replace at league mins in will be in the LBer, DL, secondary, and receivers...or a move to a cheaper IMP RB if need be.

I don't want to cheap out there either.  But I feel that we should be able to recruit and replace from within.  We are doing pretty good elsewhere in finding import talent that is new to the CFL.  You don't want to rely on free agency. 

4 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

The O Line and at QB are the main areas where it is a must, and absolute requirement to have a succession plan in place. Pretty much any other area of the team can be patched up through free agency, but you've got to have those two handled.

48 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I don't want to make anybody our Scottie Pippen, all the deal did was make him disgruntled.

After 6 championships.  It's a different situation because it's really just one season of feeling underpaid rather than a 7 year deal taking away the prime earning years of Scottie Pippen.   Who knows what Schoen is thinking? Maybe he prefers to play out his option and then hit free agency for top dollar. 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

The O Line and at QB are the main areas where it is a must, and absolute requirement to have a succession plan in place. Pretty much any other area of the team can be patched up through free agency, but you've got to have those two handled.

Yes and no. For your NAT OG/C component definitely, however, it is next to impossible to keep IMP OTs that are starting calibre ripening on the vine. It is very difficult to roster them, so most end their first year on the PR. At that point they are FA's and will move to starting opportunities. Like it or not, when you are replacing an IMP OT it is done with this year's recruits, last year's if you are lucky, or through FA. 

NAT OGs and C can be ripened on the vine a bit.

12 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Yes and no. For your NAT OG/C component definitely, however, it is next to impossible to keep IMP OTs that are starting calibre ripening on the vine. It is very difficult to roster them, so most end their first year on the PR. At that point they are FA's and will move to starting opportunities. Like it or not, when you are replacing an IMP OT it is done with this year's recruits, last year's if you are lucky, or through FA. 

NAT OGs and C can be ripened on the vine a bit.

Right, so you're talking about import Tackles in depth spots. Those are gettable.

4 minutes ago, bluto said:

Right, so you're talking about import Tackles in depth spots. Those are gettable.

Absolutely they are. If given my druthers and Stan retired this year, I would have been trying to get Figueroa but I would also have been checking out every OT on every team that is available along with recruiting South like mad. My point is that it is unlikely a team will have an in house and ready to go replacement for an OT. You have to be willing to grow with that OT as he learns, or you have to go to FA. We have Drew Richmond who we were lucky enough to have ripened on the vine a bit, but only because other teams in need didn't see him as ready yet.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Absolutely they are. If given my druthers and Stan retired this year, I would have been trying to get Figueroa but I would also have been checking out every OT on every team that is available along with recruiting South like mad. My point is that it is unlikely a team will have an in house and ready to go replacement for an OT. You have to be willing to grow with that OT as he learns, or you have to go to FA. We have Drew Richmond who we were lucky enough to have ripened on the vine a bit, but only because other teams in need didn't see him as ready yet.

Richmond is gonna be a stud...

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Some really good stuff here from Our Man Tait, including news that the Bombers are very much still working to bring back Rasheed Bailey...

I figured that the non news on Bailey with offers anywhere else was a sign they still looking to make it work here, as Bailey doesn't want to leave, and team doesn't want to lose him either...Man trot out him with Demski, Woli, Lawler, Schoen and Bolo and Agudosi as back-ups and Brady pounding the rock....gonna be a tough offense to contend with,,,especially when you factor in they are working behind the best O-line in the league...and deepest....bar none

1 minute ago, camper_2 said:

Wondering about Prukop, no mention of him, or have I missed something?

I don’t think we will bring him back unless dirt cheap. What he does well we can find in spades down south. Lots of running qbs who are far more dangerous carrying the ball. 

Just now, Booch said:

I figured that the non news on Bailey with offers anywhere else was a sign they still looking to make it work here, as Bailey doesn't want to leave, and team doesn't want to lose him either...Man trot out him with Demski, Woli, Lawler, Schoen and Bolo and Agudosi as back-ups and Brady pounding the rock....gonna be a tough offense to contend with,,,especially when you factor in they are working behind the best O-line in the league...and deepest....bar none

Imo it’s a situation like grant last year. He’s gonna see where his value is at around the league and realize it isn’t worth leaving over. 

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

I don’t think we will bring him back unless dirt cheap. What he does well we can find in spades down south. Lots of running qbs who are far more dangerous carrying the ball. 

and with more upside throwing it too...Prukop isnt vital to our success, or a loss if we let him walk....as seen as we replaced TD machine Mcguire the yr previous...if it comes down to letting him walk so we can fit Bailey in...you do it every time