Kicking Discussion

White Out

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

because his growth as a player is obvious to anyone who doesn't fly off the handle at every misstep. 

You still hate Harjalahu because he dared to have ups and down as a rookie now he's an NFL level kicker. 

Well, I don't know if it's a matter of hate. O'Shea moved on from Hajrullahu, not because anyone hated him, but because the coach determined - in  H's second year - that he had not been good enough. His rookie year (2014), was outstanding, which is what bought him so much leash the next year. What's a bit mystifying to me is, at that time, the Blue went out and got Medlock despite H's potential because coach said that the position was simply too critical to experiment with for any length of time. But here we are...

3 minutes ago, deepsixemtoboyd said:

Well, I don't know if it's a matter of hate. O'Shea moved on from Hajrullahu, not because anyone hated him, but because the coach determined - in  H's second year - that he had not been good enough. His rookie year (2014), was outstanding, which is what bought him so much leash the next year. What's a bit mystifying to me is, at that time, the Blue went out and got Medlock despite H's potential because coach said that the position was simply too critical to experiment with for any length of time. But here we are...

I was angry at the time when Lirim had that bad game as it cost us a win vs the Stamps. We were a horrible team in those days & wins were few & far between. But I never hated the guy. Was I a bit over the top at the time? Sure. But O'Shea cut the guy. I didn't. We all know the HC doesn't read our comments or listen to what we think over here. So, this is just a discussion forum among fans. What we say has zero influence on what happens with the Bombers. And besides if 17to85 is going to hang me over some of the things I said nearly a decade ago then he should be executed as well because we all damn well know all of the dumbass things he's said here the last decade. 

Bailey tweeted “win as a team - lose as a team”. Something like that. Great that the players have Leggs back. 

let’s not forget a bad PI call. An offside at the goal line. A fumble leading to a td. Most times we have come out on top of games like this. A  9 - 1 record is still best in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

Bailey tweeted “win as a team - lose as a team”. Something like that. Great that the players have Leggs back. 

let’s not forget a bad PI call. An offside at the goal line. A fumble leading to a td. Most times we have come out on top of games like this. A  9 - 1 record is still best in the league. 

With tie breakers,9-1 still has us in the lead by a lot

Just now, rebusrankin said:

Legs hit a game winning kick in the opener against Ottawa to win the game so he has hit a clutch game winning kick.

I think there was a roughing the kicker against The RB’s which helped us lots as well as a Pyramiding penalty against Montreal that was unique but we still annihilated them. Throw in a very timely interception against the Calgaries and the Argo’s man who kicks - missed and so far the the football gods have liked us  more than have not. 

Obviously, we didn’t pray hard enough. It’s that simple. 
giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Noeller said:

Legghio is, if not the best kicker in the league (is he the only one doing all 3 jobs?) then he's second best after Paredes. Kicking 90+% on the season. **** anyone that wants to **** on him. 

Liegghio is not the problem. Any time you have a kicker with a chance to win the game you're gambling as that is way too much pressure (unless your name is Medlock). I do not blame him at all - not one bit. He's been absolutely dynamite for us this year, and I am totally cool with O'Shea trotting him out whenever. He will learn from this experience and continue to improve.

The biggest issues we're dealing with right now are threefold:

O-Line is really struggling right now - particularly the interior. Teams are figuring this out and blitzing us non-stop (usually multiple players to the corners), which eliminates Zach's explosiveness as he's forced to dink and dunk. Not his style. I don't know what the timeline is for Couture returning, but we are really missing him right now. Kolankowski has been improving, but still has issues on occasion, and Neufeld has really been a shadow of his normal self this year (again, most likely due to his arm injury). As a result Zach's been taking hits the past few games - this cannot happen and needs to be remedied immediately.

Safety. I appreciate Hallett stepping in with injuries to both Thompson and Wilson, but it is clear that Biggie has been instructed to help cover for him and it has severely curtailed his play. Hallett's a DB, not a linebacker. He isn't great at tackling, and often cheats by going low, but doesn't wrap up. This is also a big problem.

D-Line pressure isn't good enough. Jefferson is a force, but I think Jeffcoat is still injured as he hasn't been as noticeable the past couple of games, and while I love Thomas as he's been such a team player for us over the years, him and Sayles aren't getting any kind of penetration in the interior on most nights. Leaves opposition free to double-team Willie, and you can tell he is getting frustrated.

Any time you leave the outcome of the game to kicking you have not done enough to win. Full stop. We have been scraping by the past few weeks, as we are exhausted and beat up. The bye week will help with some of these issues hopefully, but if we get some of our injured guys back on the defence, figure out the OL (if Couture comes back I'd move Kolankowski to Neufeld's position until he is in better shape), we'll be okay.

I repeat, Liegghio is not the problem.

Edited by Potential

12 hours ago, Blue and Gold87 said:

Castillo worked out pretty well for us I'd say. Made some huge kicks in the playoffs. 

Maybe you're right and it's best now to hope it'll work out with leggio, but I'm not a believer and really think this could hurt our chances. West is tight, could be the difference. I don't want to outright cut him, but ' hoping' it all works out seems pretty risky to. It's not an ability thing, it's a mental thing. Hard to coach that out of a guy. 

Not impossible to correct. I worked with a world-class athlete who was always top 3 in Canada but bottom third internationally. Once the emotional crap was cleared out (performance anxiety), that athlete placed fifth in the world two months later. 

Edited by Tracker

Leggs will come around.....He does a heckuva job punting and his place kicking, while not perfect, is quite acceptable....I'm sure, as he gains more experience, the game pressure when everything is on the line, will come around....He's young and needs more seasoning to handle pressure situations....I say we stick with him as he certainly demonstrates more positives than negatives

TBH - from that distance and what was needed to win I'm surprised we didn't just punt on the last play - You have the right cover people on the field in case you don't put it through the back and for a 30 yard field goal he only needs to kick a 50 yard punt to put it out of the back of the endzone (which is slightly more than his average but this is a special case - directional and hang time doesn't matter, just distance)

I kind of wonder if the shank on the "game winner" happened because he was trying to kick it extra hard to make sure it would go out the back if he missed, instead of just trying to kick a normal field goal.

Edited by BomberfanMKS

7 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

TBH - from that distance and what was needed to win I'm surprised we didn't just punt on the last play - You have the right cover people on the field in case you don't put it through the back and for a 30 yard field goal he only needs to kick a 50 yard punt to put it out of the back of the endzone (which is slightly more than his average but this is a special case - directional and hang time doesn't matter, just distance)

I kind of wonder if the shank on the "game winner" happened because he was trying to kick it extra hard to make sure it would go out the back if he missed, instead of just trying to kick a normal field goal.

Yeah I was thinking about that - just get it through the end zone at any cost. Oh well, hindsight and all that...

I think the last miss was just nerves - he hit it with the normal power, but just was off by just a hair and made contact with the side of his boot. Feel bad for him as you want to win it for your team, and he had 2 chances. Liegghio's young though, just needs more experience in the pros and this kind of thing will go away.

18 minutes ago, BomberfanMKS said:

I occasionally think of this. I've been watching the CFL for years and years and can't remember a time a team intentionally punted for a single to win a game when it's close enough (Let's say 35 yards and shorter) to kick a field goal.

I always wonder how it would be looked at by differing viewpoints if I trotted out the punter at the 20 yard line with no time on the clock and boomed it thru the end zone for the win by one.

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I occasionally think of this. I've been watching the CFL for years and years and can't remember a time a team intentionally punted for a single to win a game when it's close enough (Let's say 35 yards and shorter) to kick a field goal.

I always wonder how it would be looked at by differing viewpoints if I trotted out the punter at the 20 yard line with no time on the clock and boomed it thru the end zone for the win by one.

Apparently Pops Miller gave the order to punt in 2010. 

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I don't want Leggz cut, but he needs to get the job done and he didn't last night. It wasn't just once either. It was twice in a row. Once to put the game into OT and once to lose it. Most kickers redeem themselves when they get a second change. Leggz didn't. That's gotta raise an eyebrow or two.

Definitely reveals a flaw in his mental game, this isn't the first game he's blown multiple chip shots which indicates he's  probably not flushing the first mistake out of his mind completely before approaching his next kick. Goddammit Jim, we need a robot not a humanoid!

Edited by Fatty Liver

Yeah... you know how bad is the kicking state in both leagues when Dallas had brought in 2 cfl rejects to battle for their kicker job. It says lots about the state of kicking really. 

There are no Kevin glenns of kickers anymore, that reliable not elite but just good enough guy who maybe you don't trust to throw the winning TD but maybe he will? 

Medock ain't coming back. This is the new breed of the mentally fragile  kickers 

Edited by Goalie