Injury Report, Lineup Changes, Roster Moves

BigBlue

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Doesn't really restrict anything.  All they declare are DI's, QB's and Globals.  The one import who isn't a DI but is a "backup" is for all intents and purposes a starter.

Do we have an import receiver who is better than Demski or Wolitarsky?

The only spot we can really complain about is tailback but didn't seem like they really gave the Americans in camp much of a shot to win the job.

Oliviera is fine but it would be nice to pair him with an American who has a little more burst.  Can see they are terrified to have Augustine out there much with his blocking issues.

Could easily DI a back who can return a bit and sub in for one of the American receivers, dress another Canadian receiver to sub/use Miller more at H-back.

Hate to contradict you but based on the first three games this season, Oliviera is not "fine". He is slow! He's looks small (not that that matters if he were quick....but he isn't); and he hasn't been used as a pass receiver. Hmmm.....maybe he's a great blocking back. Unfortunately based on the first three games, I'd say he's not.

However, it may be the O-line that's contributing to Olivietra"s lack of production, that may. Gray, imo, has been a less than adequate replacement as a guard. (Is that an unnatural position for him?) For a guy who had all sorts of try-outs/practice roster spots in the NFL, he's having problems with the Canadian game.  Anyway, just my opinion of two guys on the O for the Bombers.

Granted, Harris is a year older and looks porkier than last year, but his O-line has not opened holes for him, and his production is way down. When our O-line starts playing better, Oliveira will get better. In the last game, the O-line was a bit better and Oliveira was also a bit better. Next game will be interesting for that reason alone. 

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Hard to go 5 and 2 without Briggs IMO.  Thompson goes down and then what?  We have a couple DT's, guess they could play the whole game.  We don't have any Canadian DE's.  Hallett or Gauthier have to play every snap then with one of the Canadian DT's.  You'd basically have to move Bighill to safety.

Kramda hasn't played a regular season snap on D yet but is an interesting player.  Cadwallader has played a little bit in garbage time last year and this year.

MOS philosophy is definitely to have the flexibility on D as opposed to offense.  The trump card for years has been Harris though.  We don't have that level of production from a Canadian back now.

We could put Ford there...and we also have Rene whom I sure will get on roster soon...there are options...

21 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

i still think it's inevitable our running back position gets flipped & maybe that's why they start 8 Canadians. I know our OL is struggling with the run game & maybeit's unfair to dump our lack of production on Oliveira & Augustine but status quo won't work because right now our run game is a non existent threat that wiil eventually grind down our passing game. It's easier to replace a running back than an OL. I just can't see Oliveira suddenly becoming a threat out of the backfield. He is what he is.

I would disagree that it has been "non-existent"... it hasn't excelled yet but the stats through three weeks show (subtracting QB stats since they're just short yardage plunges and scrambles):

Week 1: 14 carries for 40 yards (by far the worst)
Week 2: 23 carries for 112 yards
Week 3: 19 carries for 83 yards

that's a 4.2 yards per carry average (with 2 one yard TDs)... I agree that's not amazing and I would also like to see improvement in the run game... but people acting like the run game is a completely non-existent is a bit of an over exaggeration. 

17 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I would disagree that it has been "non-existent"... it hasn't excelled yet but the stats through three weeks show (subtracting QB stats since they're just short yardage plunges and scrambles):

Week 1: 14 carries for 40 yards (by far the worst)
Week 2: 23 carries for 112 yards
Week 3: 19 carries for 83 yards

that's a 4.2 yards per carry average (with 2 one yard TDs)... I agree that's not amazing and I would also like to see improvement in the run game... but people acting like the run game is a completely non-existent is a bit of an over exaggeration. 

yeah...its not as bad as some make it out to be...work in progress but not flat out pathetic....Like a Rider's passing game

I think when Buck took over, we went from being a very run-first, run-heavy offense, to one that was primarily pass-oriented. Last year we had Harris still properly functioning for half the games and that was a lot of the focus, but without him, we're leaning even more toward the passing game. Just my guess, but I think that's why people think the run game is shitty...it's just that we're not really using it as much. 

Just now, Noeller said:

I think when Buck took over, we went from being a very run-first, run-heavy offense, to one that was primarily pass-oriented. Last year we had Harris still properly functioning for half the games and that was a lot of the focus, but without him, we're leaning even more toward the passing game. Just my guess, but I think that's why people think the run game is shitty...it's just that we're not really using it as much. 

Pretty sure Oliveria has 2, 100  yard rushing games, and Augustine had 1 in 7 games started between the two where Harris had 2 in 7 games. I do agree we started transitioning into more of a pass first team but we always utilized our running game pretty evenly. 

4 hours ago, Noeller said:

I don't think the Internationals can take the place of Canadians.....separate "quotas", is my understanding of it. 

Oh and see here I thought it was more or less the same thing, since there’s not really a minimum amount of Canadians, just a maximum amount of Americans

my god are CFL roster rules confusing

59 minutes ago, Mike said:

Oh and see here I thought it was more or less the same thing, since there’s not really a minimum amount of Canadians, just a maximum amount of Americans

my god are CFL roster rules confusing

As far as I understand they can sub in for anyone….but I don’t know what they would do if an international played the whole game.  Say as a starting OL.  Could he be one of the 7 Canadian spots?

Yeah, I'm super confused on the rules.... it's overly complicated. What Mike says about the ratio being max Americans rather than min Canadians makes sense.... so the International could sub for a Canadian without altering the max Americans.....

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, I'm super confused on the rules.... it's overly complicated. What Mike says about the ratio being max Americans rather than min Canadians makes sense.... so the International could sub for a Canadian without altering the max Americans.....

I honestly don’t think they’ve come to the bridge of Globals starting but since they’ve loosened it up and basically anyone with a parent from a country outside Canada and the US counts they are getting some legit prospects.  It’s going to happen soon.

Maruo here could be starting for us if say our WIL went down.

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Its still shitty. We can argue about why, but its still shitty.

9 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Oliveira 3.1 yards per carry. His running stats either starts to improve or we have a huge problem. 

I still don’t understand why he gets 15 carries, and Augustine gets 2, it should be closer to dead even in my opinion and then go with the back down the stretch who is producing more to close out the game.