2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ironically he was signed through 2022. 

Since he should be expecting his release shortly, he will have time over Xmas to contemplate finding a new line of work. 

3 hours ago, stevethe3rd said:

I am not sure on the timeline of events. I am sure Jones made an offer to Willie but he left for the NFL in January and then Willie left for the Winnipeg that following Feb. It will be interesting to see how Jones attracts guys or his guys back to Edmonton this off season especially on the defensive side of the ball. 

Guys like Willie Jefferson, Edem, Purifoy, Marshall, Gainey, McCoil. Even Moncreif who is back in Regina telling people that he thinks he will be back with the Riders next year. He gave all these guys there shots in the CFL and for whatever reason guys feel a weird loyalty towards jones whether that be formal players or coaches.  

How much is the Grey Cup bonus do you know Booch? I was suprised how little the players get for the first two rounds of the playoffs after talking to a player on the riders this past week. 

Here is the full breakdown for the entire playoffs. Winning the Grey Cup is worth an extra $23,000 overall, per cfldb.ca

What is the playoff compensation for CFL games? How much are CFL players paid for playoff games? What is the history of CFL playoff compensation?

For the five year term of the 2019 CBA, playoff and Grey Cup compensation is as follows:

First Place Standing (Bye) $3,400
Semi-Final Participation $3,400
Division Championship Participation $3,600
Grey Cup Runner-up $8,000
Grey Cup Winner $16,000

This was last increased in 2012 by $100 for First Place Standing, Semi-Final Participation and Division Championship Participation over the 2011 amounts.

See Article 12 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for full details.

The CBA provides playoff compensation to all active roster and injured list players, but not practice roster players. This payment comes from revenue from the playoff and Grey Cup games and a minimum of $469,200 is paid to 46-man rosters of 3 teams (2 semi-finalists, 1 bye) for each of the division semi-finals ($938,400 total), $331,200 to 2 teams for each of the division finals ($662,400 total) and $1.104 million for the Grey Cup. Practice roster players continue to receive the weekly pay stated in their practice roster agreement paid by their club. Practices for sharing playoff compensation will vary from year-to-year and team-to-team.

3 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He has some very fundamental flaws as a GM for sure....and his drafting is off the hook bad.

Before one of our games against the Elks this year I commented that they have a pretty solid roster... their biggest weaknesses were O-line and LB... I wouldn't be surprised if the Elks turn it around next year and are a playoff team... the bigger question is: will they have any sustained success?... With Chris Jones at the helm, my guess is no 

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

Before one of our games against the Elks this year I commented that they have a pretty solid roster... their biggest weaknesses were O-line and LB... I wouldn't be surprised if the Elks turn it around next year and are a playoff team... the bigger question is: will they have any sustained success?... With Chris Jones at the helm, my guess is no 

With six teams out of nine making the playoffs, that is not too high a bar.

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

I'd agree with you if I had any idea who their QB is going to be.  I don't think Don Cornelius or Dakota Fanning are going to cut it.  Is Fanny Arbuckle the next man up there?  Or does he get moved again?

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'd agree with you if I had any idea who their QB is going to be.  I don't think Don Cornelius or Dakota Fanning are going to cut it.  Is Fanny Arbuckle the next man up there?  Or does he get moved again?

Something's smells fishy with Arbuckle...

Why is this guy bouncing around as much as he is? 

1 hour ago, Dodge and Burn said:

When a the new New thing qb has the Lustre knocked off them they quickly fall in value. James Franklin syndrome. 

Even Aaron rogers. Nfl teams got soo spooked with him being passed on a few teams he fell from being a possible no1 to like 24th. 

2 hours ago, Dodge and Burn said:

The news reports out of Ottawa said it came down to money. Arbuckle got a huge signing bonus ($210,000) in 2020, collected salary for a year when the league did not play (although he did take a pay cut), and then would not renegotiate his deal for 2021. Was going to make almost $500,000 and was due a $150,000 bonus three days before he got cut. When Nichols (who was due his own bonus and was cut by Toronto in a cost-cutting measure), Ottawa had an out and jumped to sign him and cut Arbuckle. Toronto, now short a QB, grabbed Arbuckle since all other teams were settled at pivot. It was also mentioned that Nichols veteran status at QB was more roster-beneficial according to CFL rules for Ottawa. The “LaPo forced Marcel’s hand” angle was overblown (he certainly had input and probably ID’d Nichols as a solution once the Arbuckle contract talks broke down) but became the new narrative for some (especially 3Down Ottawa writer and not-so-subtle Desjardins backer Santino Filoso - who apparently writes out of Brazil, by the way) once the move went sour after Nichols showed his injury was more permanent then anyone knew and Marcel was being thrown to the wolves by the fan base. 

In Toronto, Arbuckle had 2 hamstring injuries that slowed his progress. Again, he was getting starter money, including his $150,000 signing bonus with the Argos, but once MBT emerged as a guy who could win some games, John Murphy was quoted as saying they could not afford to pay two starting QBs and fill the other holes that needed filling,and Ryan Dinwiddie said MBT won the starter’s role. So off to Edmonton he goes. 

Now, despite not playing a single down in Edmonton, the club has re-upped him for 2022 at a cost of $340,000 but only a $5,000 signing bonus this time), so it would appear they consider him a starter for that kind of dough (if that means anything given the non-guaranteed contracts of the CFL). 

At least this is what I gleaned from the various newspaper reports of Arbuckle’s last couple of seasons. He may still be very good, but he has been given some pretty big salaries for a guy with 11 career starts, and those salaries seemed to play a role in teams abandoning him, especially with COVID wreaking havoc on CFL finances.  

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

The news reports out of Ottawa said it came down to money. Arbuckle got a huge signing bonus ($210,000) in 2020, collected salary for a year when the league did not play (although he did take a pay cut), and then would not renegotiate his deal for 2021. Was going to make almost $500,000 and was due a $150,000 bonus three days before he got cut. When Nichols (who was due his own bonus and was cut by Toronto in a cost-cutting measure), Ottawa had an out and jumped to sign him and cut Arbuckle. Toronto, now short a QB, grabbed Arbuckle since all other teams were settled at pivot. It was also mentioned that Nichols veteran status at QB was more roster-beneficial according to CFL rules for Ottawa. The “LaPo forced Marcel’s hand” angle was overblown (he certainly had input and probably ID’d Nichols as a solution once the Arbuckle contract talks broke down) but became the new narrative for some (especially 3Down Ottawa writer and not-so-subtle Desjardins backer Santino Filoso - who apparently writes out of Brazil, by the way) once the move went sour after Nichols showed his injury was more permanent then anyone knew and Marcel was being thrown to the wolves by the fan base. 

In Toronto, Arbuckle had 2 hamstring injuries that slowed his progress. Again, he was getting starter money, including his $150,000 signing bonus with the Argos, but once MBT emerged as a guy who could win some games, John Murphy was quoted as saying they could not afford to pay two starting QBs and fill the other holes that needed filling,and Ryan Dinwiddie said MBT won the starter’s role. So off to Edmonton he goes. 

Now, despite not playing a single down in Edmonton, the club has re-upped him for 2022 at a cost of $340,000 but only a $5,000 signing bonus this time), so it would appear they consider him a starter for that kind of dough (if that means anything given the non-guaranteed contracts of the CFL). 

At least this is what I gleaned from the various newspaper reports of Arbuckle’s last couple of seasons. He may still be very good, but he has been given some pretty big salaries for a guy with 11 career starts, and those salaries seemed to play a role in teams abandoning him. 

My head hurts deciphering that. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

My head hurt researching it. Amalgamated from about a half dozen newspaper stories from the last 2 years.

Short version, teams would not agree to his contract demands and moved him for what assets they could. 

A true sluth. Thanks for doing that. 

Did you find if he can play? 😂😂

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

My head hurt researching it. Amalgamated from about a half dozen newspaper stories from the last 2 years.

Short version, teams would not agree to his contract demands and moved him for what assets they could. 

If you're going to be Jimmy Olsen cub reporter then you need to verify your sources & provide quotes to back up your story. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

At least this is what I gleaned from the various newspaper reports of Arbuckle’s last couple of seasons. He may still be very good, but he has been given some pretty big salaries for a guy with 11 career starts, and those salaries seemed to play a role in teams abandoning him, especially with COVID wreaking havoc on CFL finances.  

Good post. Interesting to see how he’ll fit in Edmonton with a brand new management team. 

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

If you're going to be Jimmy Olsen cub reporter then you need to verify your sources & provide quotes to back up your story. 

Here are the articles I looked at. You can parse them for whatever specific quotes you would like:

On his Ottawa signing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/two-year-deal-with-nick-arbuckle-gives-ottawa-redblacks-a-no-1-qb/wcm/95e123b4-84a4-41cb-8bae-516ca8b7c462/amp/

On how contract re-negotiations broke down:

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/18/redblacks-quarterback-nick-arbuckle-involved-in-contract-staredown/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/qb-or-not-qb-if-redblacks-dont-reach-deal-with-nick-arbuckle-before-midnight-sunday-hes-likely-gone/wcm/3b736b7a-6e4e-4e05-8986-f432a80959ba/amp/

Santino Filoso’s timeline from LaPo and Arbuckle hirings, contract stalemate, trade, Desjardins firing, and post mortem where the narrative moves from “cut for contract reasons which puts into question the GMs competency” to “LaPo forced his GMs hand to get ‘his’ guy and made the GM the scapegoat” and certainly feels one-sided in favour of propping up Marcel (also one could read the post game reports he filed to see a shift in his attitude to LaPo and the increasing blame laid at his feet from “he has bad players” to “he is making his players bad”, rightfully or wrongfully):

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/10/what-paul-lapolice-brings-to-the-redblacks/

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/03/bold-move-by-general-manager-marcel-desjardins-pays-off-for-redblacks/

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/19/redblacks-gm-marcel-desjardins-not-panicked-about-contract-restructure-discussions-with-qb-nick-arbuckle/

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/02/following-quarterback-switch-redblacks-fans-are-questioning-gm-marcel-desjardins/

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/26/during-his-time-in-ottawa-lazy-narratives-emerged-about-former-redblacks-gm-marcel-desjardins/

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/19/the-ottawa-redblacks-2021-post-mortem/

And here is Filoso’s byline on 3 Down showing his residency:

Santino Filoso

364 POSTS 0 COMMENTS 
Santino Filoso is originally from Ottawa and has written about the Redblacks since 2013. He is the only CFL writer currently living in Brazil (as far as we know).

Why that may or may not be relevant:

If he is quoting other writers or papers to get hard numbers, easy enough, but when he veers into opinion pieces to support Desjardins or blame LaPo for the internal moves the club made, one would imagine he would have inner access to the club to verify these viewpoints that it was LaPo truly guiding the ship and not Desjardins who controlled the roster, therefore making the Arbuckle move a personality firing and not a money move, especially after the story changes halfway through.

And if he was just a random blogger on a fan site, then his opinion, although entitled to it, would not be worth much more or less than anyone else’s. But if written as an accredited writer for a national CFL website purporting to be a beat writer for the team, one can fairly ask how a guy apparently writing from 7,000km away can be considered an unassailable source of credibility if he has no physical contact with the inner sanctum of the RedBlacks.

Now it is possible he is in Ottawa and only lives in Brazil in the off-season, but his byline is then very misleading to me. And maybe he uses Justin Dunk as his inside source if he is out-of-country, but he has made a point to quote  his source in some stories but not in his opinion pieces.

Guys like Tait or even Friesen who many do not care for at least can say that have access to the locker room and can directly see the day-to-day workings of the team,and can then opine on club issues with some more credibility as an “insider” than someone blogging from the southern hemisphere, IMO.

Toronto trade to Edmonton and the money issue there with John Murphy and assessment by Dinwiddie:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6225603

Edmonton’s Arbuckle contract signing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-elks/edmonton-elks-ink-quarterback-nick-arbuckle-through-2022-season/wcm/5c5b303b-e8d8-4e78-a0b1-f7079695b00b/amp/

There you go. 

42 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Here are the articles I looked at. You can parse them for whatever specific quotes you would like:

On his Ottawa signing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/two-year-deal-with-nick-arbuckle-gives-ottawa-redblacks-a-no-1-qb/wcm/95e123b4-84a4-41cb-8bae-516ca8b7c462/amp/

On how contract re-negotiations broke down:

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/18/redblacks-quarterback-nick-arbuckle-involved-in-contract-staredown/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/qb-or-not-qb-if-redblacks-dont-reach-deal-with-nick-arbuckle-before-midnight-sunday-hes-likely-gone/wcm/3b736b7a-6e4e-4e05-8986-f432a80959ba/amp/

Santino Filoso’s timeline from LaPo and Arbuckle hirings, contract stalemate, trade, Desjardins firing, and post mortem where the narrative moves from “cut for contract reasons which puts into question the GMs competency” to “LaPo forced his GMs hand to get ‘his’ guy and made the GM the scapegoat” and certainly feels one-sided in favour of propping up Marcel (also one could read the post game reports he filed to see a shift in his attitude to LaPo and the increasing blame laid at his feet from “he has bad players” to “he is making his players bad”, rightfully or wrongfully):

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/10/what-paul-lapolice-brings-to-the-redblacks/

https://3downnation.com/2020/02/03/bold-move-by-general-manager-marcel-desjardins-pays-off-for-redblacks/

https://3downnation.com/2021/01/19/redblacks-gm-marcel-desjardins-not-panicked-about-contract-restructure-discussions-with-qb-nick-arbuckle/

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/02/following-quarterback-switch-redblacks-fans-are-questioning-gm-marcel-desjardins/

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/26/during-his-time-in-ottawa-lazy-narratives-emerged-about-former-redblacks-gm-marcel-desjardins/

https://3downnation.com/2021/12/19/the-ottawa-redblacks-2021-post-mortem/

And here is Filoso’s byline on 3 Down showing his residency:

Santino Filoso

364 POSTS 0 COMMENTS 
Santino Filoso is originally from Ottawa and has written about the Redblacks since 2013. He is the only CFL writer currently living in Brazil (as far as we know).

Why that may or may not be relevant:

If he is quoting other writers or papers to get hard numbers, easy enough, but when he veers into opinion pieces to support Desjardins or blame LaPo for the internal moves the club made, one would imagine he would have inner access to the club to verify these viewpoints that it was LaPo truly guiding the ship and not Desjardins who controlled the roster, therefore making the Arbuckle move a personality firing and not a money move, especially after the story changes halfway through.

And if he was just a random blogger on a fan site, then his opinion, although entitled to it, would not be worth much more or less than anyone else’s. But if written as an accredited writer for a national CFL website purporting to be a beat writer for the team, one can fairly ask how a guy apparently writing from 7,000km away can be considered an unassailable source of credibility if he has no physical contact with the inner sanctum of the RedBlacks.

Now it is possible he is in Ottawa and only lives in Brazil in the off-season, but his byline is then very misleading to me. And maybe he uses Justin Dunk as his inside source if he is out-of-country, but he has made a point to quote  his source in some stories but not in his opinion pieces.

Guys like Tait or even Friesen who many do not care for at least can say that have access to the locker room and can directly see the day-to-day workings of the team,and can then opine on club issues with some more credibility as an “insider” than someone blogging from the southern hemisphere, IMO.

Toronto trade to Edmonton and the money issue there with John Murphy and assessment by Dinwiddie:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6225603

Edmonton’s Arbuckle contract signing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-elks/edmonton-elks-ink-quarterback-nick-arbuckle-through-2022-season/wcm/5c5b303b-e8d8-4e78-a0b1-f7079695b00b/amp/

There you go. 

So what's your point?  Lol I joke.....