2021/22 - CFL Offseason - Non-Back-to-Back Grey Cup Champion Thread

JCon

I know that we can't trust anything Jones says, but I was reading some of his quotes yesterday after officially being hired, and he said they wouldn't be doing much in FA.....so we'll see about Steele's claims. As has been suggested, I think it's most likely that a lot of his overrated henchmen from Sask come back to him than anything.

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I know that we can't trust anything Jones says, but I was reading some of his quotes yesterday after officially being hired, and he said they wouldn't be doing much in FA.....so we'll see about Steele's claims. As has been suggested, I think it's most likely that a lot of his overrated henchmen from Sask come back to him than anything.

Agreed. He is the exact opposite of what the Elks need, so we ought to get ready for a tumultuous season of drama there. 

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's not like they don't have talent over there. They don't need to air lift in a bunch of people to be a solid team....they just need proper leadership on all levels.

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Seems like the kind of guy to insist on calling the L(k)s by their old name behind closed doors.

Edited by Geebrr

8 hours ago, Booch said:

Exactly...last year we brought back the same amount pretty much...and all teams are in same boat.....and only so much SMS to go around...the reality is in the new CFL right now is that some vets will have to accept the same pay as previous year, some will have to settle for less, as thats just the business now....or not play.....and there will be a few with nice bumps...we should be fine, as we have pretty much a veteran roster where we will have minimal bump ups...if any, plus the added bonus that the players know if the core guys are back, they have a good shot at 20 to 30k at season end....whereas some teams who we most likely assume will try and pay some larger cash to some prize free-agents have no hope in hell really...or its a big crap-shoot

So with the short career life of a player, the more likely chance of that playoff money is a big draw...why do u think teams like the stamps retained so many guys for years...and for less than they probably woulda got elsewhere??

and on the flip...if we do happen to lose a key guy...which I doubt..or another team or 2 lose a key guy....they will obviously been wayyy overpayed....throwing that teams SMS outta whack, and ripple effect being less money to go around to get a very good replacement, at possibly a lower price, strengthening your overall SMS 

Teams have lost millions right across the league... except for... Winnipeg... according to a statement by Wade Miller... after the Western Final so why can't we sign players?

Edmonton played in front of an empty stadium all season. They're community owned so where are they going to get the money to spend to the cap ceiling.

BC never played before a crowd of 13,000.

Hufnagel doesn't spend in FA so why would he now? He's prepared to let Maier walk in free agency just like he traded Arbuckle to Ottawa just to keep Mitchell which is so short sighted. It could affect the Stamps for years if Bo's arm is truly finished. 

The Riders will probably show a loss in 2021 but they'll still be able to spend in FA. The question is, can they keep some of their key free agents?

MLSE has the cash & went all in signing players last season but will they again?

Ottawa is full of holes so I expect they'll be active. But how many receivers & qbs want to play in LaPo's pop gun offense?

Montreal lost millions again & I sense the owner is losing patience so he may be a spender in FA or he may not. The pressure is on Khari Jones to win a playoff game or he's gone.

Hamilton has real problems. At least one qb & maybe both may leave to play elsewhere. David Watford may be the starter there next season which must cause fans to want to gag. Guys like Chris Van Zeyl & Brandon Banks among other players may retire or move on. The Cats were built to win this season & not next. Looks like that window has closed.

Yes, I hope we sign Jeffcoat, Jefferson & most of our key free agents. But I think we can. I think financially we're doing better than any other team. Perhaps other teams should worry about us instead of us worrying about them.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, JCon said:

You should actually read the quotes and the stories before saying that it was sour grapes. 

Perhaps, you could point me towards some because I follow the CFL closely and the only player I've heard talk trash about him was Almondo. If there are more please do tell. I'm not being factious, you have genuinely peaked my interest and now I need to know.

Edited by GCn20

Just now, GCn20 said:

Perhaps, you could point me towards some because I follow the CFL closely and the only player I've heard talk trash about him was Almondo. If there are more please do tell.

I mean just Google. Or, I could go and do it for you? 

Just now, JCon said:

I mean just Google. Or, I could go and do it for you? 

Don't know where to start. If you got a couple names I can go from there.

14 minutes ago, JCon said:

Jones burns fast and bright but also burns out early. It will end with a mess and he will be back in the US, when everything falls apart.

Although, the L(k)s are in shambles now anyhow. 

He has some very fundamental flaws as a GM for sure....and his drafting is off the hook bad.

37 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I gotta be honest, I don't think the Elks problems were player talent. They have a pretty talent laden roster that enormously underachieved through a combination of god awful coaching, a deep locker room rift that developed because Edmonton was the one team that did not meet the vax quota so their entire locker room was subject to massive restrictions on their freedom, and a GM/Pres that seemed content to let it all happen. The Esks with a couple tweaks and a coach that reigns in that locker room has a pretty decent talent base there.

23 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

Seems like the kind of guy to insist on calling the L(k)s by their old name behind closed doors.

100%....and further to that, seems like the kinda guy who figures John Murphy got railroaded by "the woke mob" and would hire him back in a heartbeat as AGM.....

21 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Edmonton will go hard at WJ.

Will be interesting to see what happens. 

I think WJ felt a bit burnt by CJ... 

ANd yeah- WJ will move his family out here and retire a ******* Blue Bomber Legend. 

19 hours ago, Noeller said:

Willie does love Coach Jones (he's been pretty public about that) but I'm not sure it's enough to leave this winning org at this point in his career....

Was this before CJ ****** off?

and agreed on the financials...we will be able to sign who we want, and also dip into free agency if we see an opportunity....no worries here

ANd yeah the Elks had the talent..which was so bizzare..I think they just all quit on the Coach and Management, and was from having a group of douchers in the locker room...which tainted the whole team and ruined them...notice end of year when a good portion of some of their core vets were sat...they actually looked and played like a team?..

1 minute ago, Booch said:

and agreed on the financials...we will be able to sign who we want, and also dip into free agency if we see an opportunity....no worries here

ANd yeah the Elks had the talent..which was so bizzare..I think they just all quit on the Coach and Management, and was from having a group of douchers in the locker room...which tainted the whole team and ruined them...notice end of year when a good portion of some of their core vets were sat...they actually looked and played like a team?..

Derell Walker literally walked his routes until they finally sat him down. Elizondo totally lost control of his room and did nothing to get it back. If Jones can kick some ass and get control of the situation there is talent there. Some guys have to go though...Derell Walker I'm talking about you....

Edited by GCn20

2 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

SMS, not Financials are the limiting factor to signing players. Every team has the same SMS & have to spend at least to the bottom of it.

Teams need to be competitive if they want fans in the stands. Under spending = less fans = bad financials.

If teams have little or no money they have to be selective who they sign & for how much. Overspending on one position will mean underspending on another. I think Chris Jones will find out fast that the CFL he knew when he left doesn't exist anymore. I can't see many teams going crazy in free agency. I think some will stay closer to the floor than the ceiling. The Elks are probably flat broke. 

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

100%....and further to that, seems like the kinda guy who figures John Murphy got railroaded by "the woke mob" and would hire him back in a heartbeat as AGM.....

Until the CFL says no. I have read Murphy has few friends at the CFL HO. So, Ambrosie probably enjoyed giving him the boot. 

16 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So stupid on the part of the player. Exact wrong kind of publicity in a market that has struggled for years. At least the suspension is somewhat substantial; I am all for fan engagement, but opponent or not this type of behavior from the fan and player is simply not on.