2022 Off Season - Back 2 Back Champs Edition

Noeller

48 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lawler is gone and honestly, 250k isn’t even an offer I would entertain.

I would dread paying him 200k, never mind 250k.

Agreed I wouldn’t be comfortable paying any receiver 200k. I won’t blame him if he takes that but if he wants to come back to Winnipeg I would imagine it would have to be at heavy discount compared to what BC is offering him. 

11 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I told you Lawler @ $165K was wrong. $250K seems like an overpay tho. I hope we don't match the offer.

don't base what it was assumed Lawler should get off that BC offer...He should be in line with what Begelton and Burnham got...proven guys who have done it more than one yr

6 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Agreed I wouldn’t be comfortable paying any receiver 200k. I won’t blame him if he takes that but if he wants to come back to Winnipeg I would imagine it would have to be at heavy discount compared to what BC is offering him. 

yup...no need to throw your SMS outta whack for a receiver of all players...u see what happens to teams like BC who way overpay for positions, and have bare bones for the important spots...Your lines...depth/role players...Ask Mike Reilly how that fat contract worked out for him the last few yrs...

14 minutes ago, Booch said:

don't base what it was assumed Lawler should get off that BC offer...He should be in line with what Begelton and Burnham got...proven guys who have done it more than one yr

yup...no need to throw your SMS outta whack for a receiver of all players...u see what happens to teams like BC who way overpay for positions, and have bare bones for the important spots...Your lines...depth/role players...Ask Mike Reilly how that fat contract worked out for him the last few yrs...

I'm surprised Mike doesn't look like humpty dumpty after his time behind that trash oline

Does cost of living come into play with Lawler? I’m not sure how much $$$ is built into these contracts for housing allowance etc. I mean does $200k from the Bombers make more sense since he can stretch it out further in Manitoba? I’m not saying I want him at $200k but as an example. Would like to be around the $180k at most but I think it’ll be a hard sell for him. 

Cost of living is way over stated around here. Most players are only 'in town' during the season, not living in the city full time. Players aren't buying a house or condo, which is the biggest difference between a big city and a small one. Lions don't train in Vancouver, they are way out in Whalley, which helps with rent as does sharing with other players. Lions boosters also help with accommodations. Food and gas are a bit more expensive.

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Offense sells tickets. BC is hoping their receivers can do all the heavy lifting for whoever is throwing the ball while running for his life behind that OL. Lucky Lawler Burnham Rhymes Cottoy looks pretty f'ing good on paper to me, to bad everything else is iffy

well Cottoy isnt a given...nor is Lawler yet....thats an offer....he also left there on bad terms....but even if its so....too many other holes there, and also...riding with a basic rookie starter...weak oline...sketchy defence who may gave up 3rd most points last yr....bad allocation of SMS if u ask me

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Cost of living is way over stated around here. Most players are only 'in town' during the season, not living in the city full time. Players aren't buying a house or condo, which is the biggest difference between a big city and a small one. Lions don't train in Vancouver, they are way out in Whalley, which helps with rent as does sharing with other players. Lions boosters also help with accommodations. Food and gas are a bit more expensive.

Don't come in here with real facts,that's not what we want to hear

3 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

so they skirt SMS...as accomodation money is included in contracts...hmmmmmmmmm

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Lawler is obviously worth more than you think he is on the open market. He's worth more than even I thought he was too. Lawler was the only 1000 yard receiver last year. He's worth more than Whitehead.

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

so they skirt SMS...as accomodation money is included in contracts...hmmmmmmmmm

Yawn. Like we skirt contracts by getting players off season jobs. 

Just now, TBURGESS said:

Lawler is obviously worth more than you think he is on the open market. He's worth more than even I thought he was too. Lawler was the only 1000 yard receiver last year. He's worth more than Whitehead.

He deserves more than Whitehead, certainly. I bet Whitehead sells more jerseys (and tickets) though

14 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Offense sells tickets. BC is hoping their receivers can do all the heavy lifting for whoever is throwing the ball while running for his life behind that OL. Lucky Lawler Burnham Rhymes Cottoy looks pretty f'ing good on paper to me, to bad everything else is iffy

That is good logic on paper. But unless you have the ol the rest of the pieces don't much matter. 

He has to want to go there. He sounded really bitter about how it ended, specifically that he was lied to about injury compensation. 

It is a huge offer, one we definitely won't match. However, I am sure it is only a one year deal and he can expect a big cut next year. 

Also interested in how his NFL aspirations play into this. Is BC budgeting based on him missing half the season down south?

I love KL, and if that is the offer he should take it, but the numbers won't be the same and it is an overpay in our budget. A big one.

Edited by Geebrr

4 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Yawn. Like we skirt contracts by getting players off season jobs. 

totally not the same thing...but whatevs....who are all the guys with these big paying off-season jobs?...that make up for their football pay?...If they working a job outside of football...putting in the time and effort there, and paid for it, its no different than u...me....the tree working multiple jobs.....Standard CFL contract with housing allowance in it is cut and dried....and if a "booster" is paying housing...and that housing money is basically pocket money...yup thats skirting the sms....

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah I am a fan of Lawler but Jesus that is stupid money for a receiver. 

The only logic I can come up with is that BC is just trying to **** with the Bombers. It makes no sense to pay receivers what they're doing.

yeah...but if u make that offer...its binding....u got the player....so if u hope a team matches or beats it, and they dont....u have to honor that deal...so its a dangerous ploy if that was their intention....bid the guy up

33 minutes ago, Booch said:

totally not the same thing...but whatevs....who are all the guys with these big paying off-season jobs?...that make up for their football pay?...If they working a job outside of football...putting in the time and effort there, and paid for it, its no different than u...me....the tree working multiple jobs.....Standard CFL contract with housing allowance in it is cut and dried....and if a "booster" is paying housing...and that housing money is basically pocket money...yup thats skirting the sms....

From what i read in the past Lions alumni and boosters provide cheap rental apartments to the players. Not free but affordable. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary also have similar arrangements with real estate companies. Winnipeg used to as well, not sure if they still do.

9 minutes ago, Booch said:

yeah...but if u make that offer...its binding....u got the player....so if u hope a team matches or beats it, and they dont....u have to honor that deal...so its a dangerous ploy if that was their intention....bid the guy up

Player has the option to accept the offer after the 48 hr window and its a binding contract. Lions could cut him the next day and terminate but would lose any signing bonus.

3 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

I told you Lawler @ $165K was wrong. $250K seems like an overpay tho. I hope we don't match the offer.

We don't necessarily have to match, nor does Lawler have to sign with us if we did. Lawler could stay for less, or even go even if we offered more.

One name that might resurface? Bryant Mitchell? I wonder.