CHAMPS at Leo's GDT

Nolby

I'm with Brandon on this one. It was dangerous and reckless. It could have caused someone serious injury or death. Luckily (very luckily), it didn't. 

I don't know what the appropriate suspension is. Ultimately, this just can't happen again. If his embarrassment and shame is enough, so that he never drives impaired again, then I guess one game is enough. 

We'll see if the league does anything further. 

Since the accident, from a Blue Bombers point of view, he has done everything correctly. Contacted them immediately and faced his teammates as soon as they were gathered, and met with the media. If they can forgive him, then I expect this not to become a distraction. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Good for Kenny to own up to his decision making. I'm not gonna lie... we all at some point likely drove under the influence or in the car with the driver who also was.. Kenny got caught. I'm thankful looking back that we didn't hurt anyone either. Perhaps getting caught would have stopped a few friends. I forgive him.  We all do dumb things and there's no need to cancel him or **** on him. Eventually u gotta grow up tho and stop. Hopefully he does.  It pisses me off when these guys do **** like this tho but then again... it's not really my concern.  I guess if he hit my daughter or family it would be but let's hope he learned his lesson. 

99.99% of us probably have been lucky to never have been in his shoes.

I have a friend who was in a single vehicle accident under the influence (mixed meds with a couple of drinks, wasn't thinking). It is no joke, he had to go to classes to avoid a record, he paid a TON for his license for years.Could only drive to work and back. 

Definitely not a slap on the wrist. Kenny is going to get more than a game suspension in real life consequences I am sure.

Edited by Geebrr

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I'm with Brandon on this one. It was dangerous and reckless. It could have caused someone serious injury or death. Luckily (very luckily), it didn't. 

I don't know what the appropriate suspension is. Ultimately, this just can't happen again. If his embarrassment and shame is enough, so that he never drives impaired again, then I guess one game is enough. 

We'll see if the league does anything further. 

Since the accident, from a Blue Bombers point of view, he has done everything correctly. Contacted them immediately and faced his teammates as soon as they were gathered, and met with the media. If they can forgive him, then I expect this not to become a distraction. 

I'm reserving judgement until (if/when) his blood alcohol level is released.  The truth is that most DUI's make it home safely every day.  I don't endorse it, but that's the truth.  

Jumping to worst-case scenarios is not helpful in my opinion.

If he was plastered, I'm all for subsequent discipline.  If he was .06 and was driving distracted, it's doubly stupid, but I'm not installing any crosses for the suggested crucifixion.

4 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why? Is he a square dork?  Does he not remember when he was young and stupid? 

Lawler is 27 years old.   

By that age I was long past my years of doing stupid things.    So when is the official cut off age of growing up and acting responsible? 35?

20 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Lawler is 27 years old.   

By that age I was long past my years of doing stupid things.    So when is the official cut off age of growing up and acting responsible? 35?

I'm 41 and still waiting for it to kick in. I'll tell you that at 27 I was having a LOT of fun and not even thinking about maturity... 

On 2021-10-04 at 12:06 PM, wbbfan said:

haha not exactly. A 1 gap player lines up in a gap between two blockers and rushes the gap. More modern defenses try to use 1.5 gap defenders, where they rush 1 gap and have to watch the other then shed the block and make a tackle in another gap. Its hard to find good 1.5 gap defenders and they are worth their weight in gold in the NFL, especially if they can get after the qb a bit. Finally you have the 2 gap defensive tackle. The 2 gap player lines up in 0 technique, at nose tackle directly over the center. His responsibility is to flow to either guard-center A gap and stuff the run. Some times this is done by discipline, anchor your position then disengaging from the C and scraping to the ball carrier in the gap. Other times this is done by mashing the center back and removing the A gaps entirely. The later happens when an OL is playing a tight blocking scheme, especially in man blocking. 

Or tossed suhk, then ripped the center down and filled the gap between michael reillys ears with his heft. 

WBB Fan, I gotta get you on the Pod one of these days. I love your football analysis and want to learn more! What do you think? 

2 hours ago, Geebrr said:

Drinking and driving happens in all eligible age groups and across all other demographics.

It's predominately older people who get busted (Boomers!)  because I'd assume arrogance and/or because they are stubborn and don't want to change with the times.   

Most younger people don't think twice about calling an Uber or taking a cab.  

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

It's predominately older people who get busted (Boomers!)  because I'd assume arrogance and/or because they are stubborn and don't want to change with the times.   

Sure, that's why I see young 20 something males on motorcycles doing 150 kph weaving in & out of traffic on freeways with a death wish.  Most "Boomers" are in their late 50's -80's.  They're not out partying. Ohh & then there's the Brainiacs at McMaster University last weekend. You're really on a streak today. #BrandonbusybeingBrandon.

10 hours ago, Brandon said:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-002-x/2021001/article/00012-eng.htm

Chart 11 Persons accused of alcohol-impaired driving (or impairment caused by a combination of alcohol and drugs), by age group, Canada, 2009 and 2019

Chart 12 Persons accused of drug-impaired driving, by age group, Canada, 2009 and 2019

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sure, that's why I see young 20 something males on motorcycles doing 150 kph weaving in & out of traffic on freeways with a death wish.  Most "Boomers" are in their late 50's -80's.  They're not out partying. Ohh & then there's the Brainiacs at McMaster University last weekend. You're really on a streak today. #BrandonbusybeingBrandon.

The chart is helping prove my point,  look at the sharp drop off over the ten years of the younger folks being caught drinking/driving.    Those numbers are even further lower as UBER is now a thing.  

What does 20 something males on motorcycles doing 150 kph have to do with anything at all?   That has nothing at all to do with drinking and driving.   Also the amount of people doing that is so tiny and miniscule what a poor example to use.   You would of been better off saying how many ding dongs in trucks with lift kits drive around like morons but even that has nothing to do with this topic. 

Boomers 50 's to 80's are not out partying in the same way as a college kid.  But how many 20 year old sit at a pub alone getting completely hammered all by themselves?  

What does McMaster university have to do with anything? An isolated incident now can be used to blanket everything else?   

Why not speak with the Winnipeg Police and ask who they pull over mostly for DUI's.   Even better you can take a look at the list of people they pull over during Christmas time checkstops.    

I will concede that in my original post that I was mostly thinking about people born in Canada and who live in the city.    

The most frequent drunk drivers that are pulled over are older white males,   east Indian males and Indigenous males.  The latter two I assume its more of a cultural thing (not that this gives them an excuse).  

As time passes and the older people die off (morbid) the drunk driving numbers will further shrink since the younger generation are far more careful and reserved then people who grew up back in the day when mostly anything goes. 

So sorry boomer Speedflex for hurting your fee fee's :)

18 hours ago, Bombers9256 said:

WBB Fan, I gotta get you on the Pod one of these days. I love your football analysis and want to learn more! What do you think? 

Idk I struggle with free time especially right now. Profession and family leave me with few big blocks of time right now. 

On 2021-10-04 at 2:17 PM, bearpants said:

This is bang on... yes the entire panel was constantly heaping praise on the Bombers on Friday... but the way the season has gone so far... what else could they possibly say?

The thing is the score really didn't tell the tale of the game. It was such a dominant performance this could easily have been a 35-40 point spread. Bombers left a ton of points out on the field by turning the ball over and then going on cruise control for most of the 4th Q. The eyeball test tells me that the Bombers completely dominated every minute of the game on offence and defence. What else was the panel going to say after a beat down like that. It was that dominant.