2021 Blue Bombers Training Camp/Pre-Season Stuff

Noeller

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Interesting. Bauming tweeted "DBs Deatrick Nichols and DeAundre Alford look to be potential Week 1 starters".  That means one of them would be starting over Josh Johnson.

Mike Jones, Nick Taylor, BA, Alford, Nichols, and Johnson at SAM. Who am I missing? 

2 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Interesting. Bauming tweeted "DBs Deatrick Nichols and DeAundre Alford look to be potential Week 1 starters".  That means one of them would be starting over Josh Johnson.

Well, one of them will be a SAM backer, I'm betting....could be Johnson...

11 minutes ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Could be darby either not starting or used as  DI. He was traded for half way through camp and missed some time after he did arrive. 

7 minutes ago, BBlink said:

Ah the other one would be Darby

The only guy I had no idea about was this James Tyrell. And to find out he's NI. That's pretty cool.

Anyone at all familiar? 

They added him half way through last month. Wouldve been in camp with the RBs last year if it wasnt for covid. 

https://redblackshome.wordpress.com/2019/12/23/new-redblacks-receiver-james-tyrell-a-competitor-going-into-new-opportunity/

at the eastern combine his results were 5'11 185, 4.79 40, 32.5" vert, 10'3.5 broad jump, 4.4 shuttle and 8 reps of 225.  

Edited by wbbfan

I could see Nick Taylor as the odd man out, he’s 33 and really never been a full time player anywhere. Played great for us last year, but he also really only played what, 6 games? I expected Nichols to make the starting lineup, he’ll probably end up as our best DB before long. Alford is a bit of a surprise considering he’s so young and inexperienced, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him take a spot over Taylor if he’s earned it.

I’m assuming based on what our roster still looks like that we’re waiting to see what the health of Darvin, Kyrie, Nelson and a few others looks like. See how quick Darby can get up to speed as well. I assumed all along that Josh Johnson would end up at SAM, so that’s still my guess. I have a feeling Kyrie might still be getting pushed by Rocquemore as well, so maybe a week in practice hashes that one out. 

7 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't see Taylor going anywhere. Guy is a physical freak. 

I also think you either underrate how good Kyrie is, or think Roquemore is unique talent.

Regardless I think our team has maybe the most talent this year than in the last 5.  

Excited for Thursday 

Do we know who is starting at QB for Hamilsmell?

4 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Do we know who is starting at QB for Hamilsmell?

I don't think they've said but I've never seen a Dline beat the piss out of an Oline like they did to Hamilton last year physically. 

I heard noises from our our Dline that sounded like primal blood lust in that game. They will remember that 

I don't get the Nelson love. Guy never gets into games 

Edited by Geebrr

On 2021-07-28 at 12:04 PM, TBURGESS said:

Did most CFL teams bring in 20+ receivers?

I ran the numbers a couple seasons ago and the average CFL team will game roster 10-12 different receivers in the course of a season and the most snakebit teams -- like Calgary in 2019 -- will have to roster 15-16.  Receivers get hurt a lot, those little guys are vulnerable out there, and it doesn't take much of a knick to turn a 4.3 burner into a plodder or to screw up their hands.

So it seems like having up close knowledge of your first wave of emergency signings is ... prudent.  No matter how much you like your top receivers, you're never going to get sixteen games out of all of them.

(one of the things I will always remember about Terrance Edwards is how he looked so slim out there compared to everyone else on the field, and because he was our only pro-quality receiver for a long stretch, we'd have him run tough possession routes into the middle and he would just get creamed over and over.  Guy kept getting back up and his play never flagged. Big respect.  Hope he's okay these days)

32 minutes ago, Geebrr said:

I don't think they've said but I've never seen a Dline beat the piss out of an Oline like they did to Hamilton last year physically. 

I heard noises from our our Dline that sounded like primal blood lust in that game. They will remember that

that Grey Cup was such a complete win.

for all people piss and moan about Lapo, he called a masterful game and Hamilton had no answer.  Just look at the blocking scheme on Harris' first TD, it was drawn up absolutely perfectly with Bailey pancaking the Hamilton DE and springing 33 all the way to the endzone untouched.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

Same. I see McKnight taking his spot real soon.

Yeah he looks like he has all the skills. Just gotta see these guys do it in games.

16 minutes ago, johnzo said:

I ran the numbers a couple seasons ago and the average CFL team will game roster 10-12 different receivers in the course of a season and the most snakebit teams -- like Calgary in 2019 -- will have to roster 15-16.  Receivers get hurt a lot, those little guys are vulnerable out there, and it doesn't take much of a knick to turn a 4.3 burner into a plodder or to screw up their hands.

So it seems like having up close knowledge of your first wave of emergency signings is ... prudent.  No matter how much you like your top receivers, you're never going to get sixteen games out of all of them.

(one of the things I will always remember about Terrance Edwards is how he looked so slim out there compared to everyone else on the field, and because he was our only pro-quality receiver for a long stretch, we'd have him run tough possession routes into the middle and he would just get creamed over and over.  Guy kept getting back up and his play never flagged. Big respect.  Hope he's okay these days)

that Grey Cup was such a complete win.

for all people piss and moan about Lapo, he called a masterful game and Hamilton had no answer.  Just look at the blocking scheme on Harris' first TD, it was drawn up absolutely perfectly with Bailey pancaking the Hamilton DE and springing 33 all the way to the endzone untouched.

I felt comfortable from the first drive. They could not handle our lines on either side of the ball. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Yup he called a good game in the Grey Cup... and a piss poor one the week before in Saskatchewan.  

Harris also had his way with the cats d. And so did our ol. 

1 hour ago, Geebrr said:

Yeah he looks like he has all the skills. Just gotta see these guys do it in games.

I felt comfortable from the first drive. They could not handle our lines on either side of the ball. 

I feel like McKnight would be great in the slot. You don't often find diminutive wrs with such great quickness. I can't wait to see a few of these guys in game. 

So unless I counted incorrectly there's 23 Canadians, 26 imports, 2 global players and 2 QBs

Given the ratio rules we know who our QBs and global players are (Les Maruo will be rostered as a linebacker). 

We have 7 OL on the roster and its super unlikely we will have all active. So I'm guessing Grey will be the extra olineman. This leaves Eli as the reserve player to bring us down to 22 Canadians.

After that it's anyone's guess who will end up on the IR.

The interesting thing about this year is we will have an "extra" DI to use instead of kicker. I'm guessing we will have a DB, returner/receiver, a D lineman and a LB

11 minutes ago, BBlink said:

So unless I counted incorrectly there's 23 Canadians, 26 imports, 2 global players and 2 QBs

Given the ratio rules we know who our QBs and global players are (Les Maruo will be rostered as a linebacker). 

We have 7 OL on the roster and its super unlikely we will have all active. So I'm guessing Grey will be the extra olineman. This leaves Eli as the reserve player to bring us down to 22 Canadians.

The interesting thing about this year is we will have an "extra" DI to use instead of kicker. I'm guessing we will have a DB, returner/receiver, a D lineman and a LB

I think Eli will be the 6th OL, not Gray. Your 6th OL should be the backup  Center since its easier to slide someone to Guard than on Center. If your Center goes down and no one from your OL doesnt know to snap the ball, your screwed. We carry Speller as the 6th OL last year.

Just now, M.O.A.B. said:

I think Eli will be the 6th OL, not Gray. Your 6th OL should be the backup  Center since its easier to slide someone to Guard than on Center. If your Center goes down and no one from your OL doesnt know to snap the ball, your screwed. We carry Speller as the 6th OL last year.

Given what we heard from camp reports I think itll be Eli as well. It was sounding like he almost ran away with the starting job for a while. Havent heard any thing from camp, but as of yet gray hasnt taken a next step so if eli has im sure itll be gray on the in active list. 

22 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

You may be right. Wasn't really the theme of my post. It was going to be one or the other. But I have heard Gray is pretty versatile in his own right. Can probably play every spot on the line. 

2 hours ago, BBlink said:

I don't see why the Bombers couldn't have both Grey and Eli on the GameDay roster.  When the league went from a 42 man GameDay roster to a 44, there were many teams who carried two backup OL.  

15 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Not the point. You have slagged Liram for making the video like he was showboating for personal glory and “running his mouth”  with a vanity video of his own design, and then got richly deserved comeuppance with his struggles. Doing the video was not his idea, and it was done to promote the league, not him personally. 

Yeah, I "slagged" him alright. I guess talking about it must be verbotten in your world. What was it, 7 years ago? He has long gotten over it. I have as well. If he re-signed here, I'd be happy.

6 hours ago, CrazyCanuck89 said:

I don't see why the Bombers couldn't have both Grey and Eli on the GameDay roster.  When the league went from a 42 man GameDay roster to a 44, there were many teams who carried two backup OL.  

I don't know about other teams but I'm fairly certain the Bombers have generally had 6 OL active. I believe Jake Thomas can play OL in a pinch if there are more injuries

8 hours ago, Mike said:

Could end up dressing both if Harris doesn’t go, right? 

I think they will carry 2 kickers on gameday. If not, O’Shea will add another LB or DB (for ST) instead of a 7th OL.

Edited by M.O.A.B.