2021 CFL Entry Draft

Noeller

40 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Dobson flat out said that he will pursue the NFL so I'm not sure where you get the notion that he exuded confidence at being blue and gold. He said all the right things after being drafted and was very complimentary to the Bombers but he made it very clear he desires to play the highest level of football he can. That doesn't mean he is a shoe-in for the NFL, but he will keep that option open as long as he can. He is a very similar type of pick to Dakoda Shepley imo.

I got the exuded confidence from the bomber brass, from dobson more than the basic platitudes that we saw from the likes of  the mulumba picks. As I said I dont think any thing crazy is going on, and I dont think hes going to forego the NFL. It just seems different from the usual futures pick, especially the vybe from bomber brass. 

it's been mentioned several times since Tuesday that we took futures picks because we still have to evaluate last year's draft class, and having two years of draft class in camp along with everyone else would be way too much. Spreading things out a little bit now....

10 minutes ago, Noeller said:

it's been mentioned several times since Tuesday that we took futures picks because we still have to evaluate last year's draft class, and having two years of draft class in camp along with everyone else would be way too much. Spreading things out a little bit now....

Yup I fully expected a few futures pick. Not sure why anyone would have an issue with that as the CND content of this team is solid.

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

It also speaks to the depth they have built up where they feel they don't need immediate help. It's such a huge change from where this team was even 3 or 4 years ago.

29 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yup I fully expected a few futures pick. Not sure why anyone would have an issue with that as the CND content of this team is solid.

It was inevitable. We may 3-4 open positions on our entire roster for NAT players realistically. If we were to draft ready to go players we would be releasing 2-3 really good NAT players with 2 draft classes coming in the same year. Other teams will all be in that same boat too. This is a year that can see some teams close the disparity gap between the NAT haves and have not teams because a higher proportion than normal good draft picks will be getting their walking papers because they just aren't ready to displace the NAT vet ahead of them. Take a team like Hamilton who has 6 top 20 draft picks over the past 2 years and already really good NAT talent, how do they roster them all if they all come to camp this year.  Sometimes you just don't have a choice but to take futures from an asset management POV.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

It was inevitable. We may 3-4 open positions on our entire roster for NAT players realistically. If we were to draft ready to go players we would be releasing 2-3 really good NAT players with 2 draft classes coming in the same year. Other teams will all be in that same boat too. This is a year that can see some teams close the disparity gap between the NAT haves and have not teams because a higher proportion than normal good draft picks will be getting their walking papers because they just aren't ready to displace the NAT vet ahead of them. Take a team like Hamilton who has 6 top 20 draft picks over the past 2 years and already really good NAT talent, how do they roster them all if they all come to camp this year.  Sometimes you just don't have a choice but to take futures from an asset management POV.

AND other challenged clubs (cept' us cuz we're pretty deep) are just waiting it out to pick the Cat's bones......Too many of their talented crop will find homes elsewhere....Nice to have an embarrassment of riches...but it has it's pitfalls...In the end spreading the talent is very good for the league

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-05-07 at 4:13 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I remember being all over that pick as I just hated it. We might as well have slept thru our second pick that first round & missed it for all the good his selection did us. 

I don't know. It was an off the wall pick to be sure but if he could have bulked up a bit he may have had a CFL career. He wasn't our worst first round pick ever. I don't even think that pick was as bad as Faith Ekakitie. Sometimes you just whiff on a player even Walters, who btw, was our assistant GM for the Etienne, Mulumba, Poblah, and Penser picks and GM for Ekakitie. Not saying the previous players are Walter's fault but you can't completely absolve him of responsibility for them either. As our head of CDN scouting and ass't GM he had more than a little input too. Mack picked guys brought to him by Walters he didn't pull these names out of a hat. They shouldn't have been on the list, particularly Penser and Etienne. 

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

I don't know. It was an off the wall pick to be sure but if he could have bulked up a bit he may have had a CFL career. He wasn't our worst first round pick ever. I don't even think that pick was as bad as Faith Ekakitie. Sometimes you just whiff on a player even Walters, who btw, was our assistant GM for the Etienne, Mulumba, Poblah, and Penser picks and GM for Ekakitie. Not saying the previous players are Walter's fault but you can't completely absolve him of responsibility for them either. As our head of CDN scouting and ass't GM he had more than a little input too. Mack picked guys brought to him by Walters he didn't pull these names out of a hat. They shouldn't have been on the list, particularly Penser and Etienne. 

I recall hearing after Mack’s departure that he sat in the draft board room, and when the scouts and Walters all talked about a player, it was not uncommon that 5 people would recommend one guy, Mack was the lone outlier wanting someone else, and in the end Mack got his way because he was the GM and that was just how it was going to be. I vaguely recall Walters alluding to the fact that in his first draft as GM it was going to be enjoyable to have his opinion considered. Taking Poblah off the supplemental draft in favour of the top pick in the regular draft, moving up to grab Pencer with his injury history and off-field issues, Etienne and his size, Johnny Aprile getting picked up as a receiver and then Mack immediately declaring they were going to convert him into a DB - so many off the board picks that defied everyone else’s conventional wisdom, including his own staff’s. 

18 hours ago, GCn20 said:

Being the asst GM to joe mack is about as much decision making power as a secretary at goldman sachs. Ekakitie was for sure the worst pick of the mafia era though. But to be fair, the first 3 rounds may have produced 3 starters and like a single all star nomination.  But atleast ekakitie and etienne had the physical tools to excel in the cfl game, and had decent heads on their shoulders. Pencer is maybe the worst pick in club history. 

20 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I remember reading a story when walters was Asst GM & implored Mack not to make a certain pick. he refused to listen. So to me, mack was totally resoonsible as he had the final say. You say Etienne might have made it had he bulked up? He never did so he wasn't prepared to do the work to be a legit CFL player. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Someone said we may have just as well slept through some of those pic's....I believe sleepy Joe was snoozing....What a disaster that man was....

I think it was more of Mack trying to be a genius and pulling picks from wherever, hoping to score big. But, we know that's a losing strategy. 

24 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have seen some depressing stuff in my 40 years of Bomber watching, but I would say that the 52-0 Labour Day blowout right after Mack fired LaPo is the single lowest in-game moment I have witnessed in club history. Does anything rank lower to others?

That entire season was depressing. Knowing we played at least 3 starting qbs who never would have made the Rifles that year just made it worse. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

I have seen some depressing stuff in my 40 years of Bomber watching, but I would say that the 52-0 Labour Day blowout right after Mack fired LaPo is the single lowest in-game moment I have witnessed in club history. Does anything rank lower to others?

I was at that game and spent a good portion of the 2nd half at the bar.

I was in Grand Forks for that game. I remember walking back into the Canadinns, where I finally got wifi coverage again, and swearing right near the doorway. A guy about 20 feet away, who I hadn't noticed yet, gave me a look and I apologized. He said, "you must have just checked the score." 

Edited by JCon

17 hours ago, Tracker said:

All this fond reminiscing about the good old days of the  Mack era does make me wonder what the board who chose him was smoking at the time. Mack had to know that he was horribly ill-suited to be GM.

I sure don't reminisce about Mack fondly. Who was the Bomber President at the time? He was horrible. That was during the time fans & taxpayers were finding out that the stadium would take an extra year to finish. 

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I sure don't reminisce about Mack fondly. Who was the Bomber President at the time? He was horrible. That was during the time fans & taxpayers were finding out that the stadium would take an extra year to finish. 

Garth “frosted tips” Buchko. Was dealt a bit of a bad hand with many things related to Mack and stadium issues out of his control, but ultimately he does have to wear the failures too. Not trying to make excuses for him, he was very fallible. 

On 2021-05-22 at 12:18 PM, TrueBlue4ever said:

Garth “frosted tips” Buchko. Was dealt a bit of a bad hand with many things related to Mack and stadium issues out of his control, but ultimately he does have to wear the failures too. Not trying to make excuses for him, he was very fallible. 

Wasn't he caught on video dressing down & berating one of the Bomber employees which led to him resigning??