Covid-19

JCon

6 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Old guard? Funny how age is always brought into the conversation in situations like this. How about saying it's all about what a person is used to doing. If someone like myself prefers an actual working environment away from home it's just what I'm used to as I've always had a workplace to go to. I've always enjoyed personal interaction with my co workers & I'd miss that working from home. Doesn't mean I can't work at home or won't adapt. There are tens of millions of bad & lazy employees out there worldwide that will take advantage of everything they can to get out of doing as much work as possible but still demand to get paid. No matter what their age is. Employers have a right not to trust them & be concerned about their output. 

I think old guard, more accurately meaning people who have always done something a certain way, not necessarily age.   People younger than me prefer being in the office.  Im 40-ish and I never want to be in the office again. lol  

Some managers are all about gotcha.  If someone does their job well and effectively and you catch them checking their emails or making a personal call, is that really something worth disciplinary action vs someone else who might never do anything remotely "wrong" but isnt as good or effective?  Happy workplaces seem more efficient.  One good thing about my area is it IS casual (too casual sometimes) and people do surf the net or listen to podcasts or whatever. Hence why I spend too much time on this forum 😉

19 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

Another article suggesting the problem we are creating (socioeconomic)  is bigger than the problem we are trying to defeat (Covid19).

https://apple.news/Ac-umTOd-QAyQcYnab3di8w

The article actually suggests that the bigger problem was created before the pandemic:  “It’s been the great revealer, pulling the curtain back on the class divide and exposing how deeply unequal this country is.”

The inability for the vast majority of people to survive a short economic downturn is a function of the system and not a bug.  People can't ask for living wages if they have no job protection and they sure as hell can't save for emergencies if they barely make enough to get by.

7 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The article actually suggests that the bigger problem was created before the pandemic:  “It’s been the great revealer, pulling the curtain back on the class divide and exposing how deeply unequal this country is.”

The inability for the vast majority of people to survive a short economic downturn is a function of the system and not a bug.  People can't ask for living wages if they have no job protection and they sure as hell can't save for emergencies if they barely make enough to get by.

When we look back to General Strike of 1919, we can see that it did bring some change for the working class.  However, looking at the planet as whole today, it becomes clear that we are shifting back to those conditions.  In some countries, the change never did come. 

On 2020-04-21 at 5:23 PM, 17to85 said:

You sure like to move the goal posts you know that right?

People try and corrupt science to meet their political needs, but science is pure. Other than quacks who get discredited very quickly scientists have no agenda, only the search for answers. It's ignorant people who try and corrupt research, but they're not engaged in science, only trying to justify their silly positions. 

Not moving the goal posts, just don't seen any point in discussing if economics is a science, which wasn't the point anyone was trying to make to begin with, just trying to stay on topic. If economics was a science it wouldn't have been in the faculty of arts at U of M when I took it all those years ago now would it.  

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/delivery.php?ID=501005104009100095109023000126097095100069023042044044077005003127071094101095005100124100057006057063050085118015080083031081033035092028083001000074008093116025119022054020004077091121099020115078080125094020065003003066120066000003109122104011066031&EXT=pdf

Edited by pigseye
a

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think old guard, more accurately meaning people who have always done something a certain way, not necessarily age.   People younger than me prefer being in the office.  Im 40-ish and I never want to be in the office again. lol  

This is correct....  I'll give my example of my situation.

Boss A - Old Guard... mid 40's. 

• Has worked at his same job for his full career... has not kept up with IT practices (or technology). 
  • Forced his staff to come into work during pandemic despite the building being nearly empty as 80% of the users are working from home. 
  • Before the pandemic he would make one of his staff members who lives in Oakbank to drive 45 minutes to work to grab a work van... despite the job site being in Beausejour.  2 hours of extra driving because he doesn't trust the employee. 
  • Does not allow flexible work schedules,  does not allow compressed work weeks,  never allows working from home. 
  • Paranoid that staff won't do work from home,  that higher ups will frown upon not visibly seeing people in the office,  has the thought process that if a person is in the office that they will spend the full day working.
  • Has a high turn over of the good employees,  extremely low morale in the office, zero motivation, staff is disinterested and poor performance from employees.

Boss B - New Guard .... 60ish....

• Has worked in several different organizations and positions.  Keeps up with latest IT trends.
  • Works remotely himself and allow staff to work from home.
  • Staff has had zero pressure into coming into work during pandemic. 
  • Staff is allowed to keep work vehicle at home over night.  
  • Allows very flexible work schedules,  pretty much as long as the work gets done on time and in a correct manner it doesn't matter.  Only rule is that the black berry needs to be on and nearby the staff during office hours. 
  • Very high morale of staff, most of the staff feels guilty being at home and not being able to do all of the work. 

Currently I'm writing this post outside on my deck in the beautiful sun working for Boss B.   My quality of life in the last 2 years since moving over to this new job has increased dramatically.   I usually go into the office 2 - 3 days of the week and the hours I save from having to drive in rush hour traffic ,  the ability to do house chores in between work ,  not having to drive in when it's -30..... has increased my quality of life massively.  My mental health has improved so much that I'm way more focused at both work and home life.    It helps so much when the kids did have activities (pre pandemic) being able to pick them up from school and having dinner ready the moment they come home with much more time to spare to get them ready for swimming   & soccer. 

2 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

Another article suggesting the problem we are creating (socioeconomic)  is bigger than the problem we are trying to defeat (Covid19).

https://apple.news/Ac-umTOd-QAyQcYnab3di8w

A natural disaster would have the same effect in any of those countries.  As would a major recession, where we stopped buying their mass - produced goods.  Covid 19 just exposed it more than it ever has been exposed before.  

The real question is - what are we going to do about it? 

23 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Currently I'm writing this post outside on my deck in the beautiful sun working for Boss B.   My quality of life in the last 2 years since moving over to this new job has increased dramatically.   I usually go into the office 2 - 3 days of the week and the hours I save from having to drive in rush hour traffic ,  the ability to do house chores in between work ,  not having to drive in when it's -30..... has increased my quality of life massively.  My mental health has improved so much that I'm way more focused at both work and home life.    It helps so much when the kids did have activities (pre pandemic) being able to pick them up from school and having dinner ready the moment they come home with much more time to spare to get them ready for swimming   & soccer. 

Interesting.  My current experience is similar, due to the pandemic:

I spend my day teaching remote classes, recording tutorials and prepping 'work at home' packages, combined with answering texts and phone calls from parents and students.  All of this leaves me time for marking and assessment during the day, which I normally do not have.  This has freed up my evenings and allowed me to spend more time with our 20 month old daughter (baths, books, new words toys, and diapers).  Before, I would do some marking after she went to bed at 8:30.   Now, I can read or get some exercise, not to mention have more conversation with my wife.  

So, I am aware that this is a surreal time right now, but I'm making the best of it while it's here.  There are negative aspects that I have mentioned before, but I simply had to stop dwelling on those.

On ‎2020‎-‎04‎-‎22 at 1:07 AM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm losing a lot of respect for the Calgary Stampede Board & their (so far) unwillingness to cancel the Stampede. Calgary City Council has banned all public gatherings to June 30th & the Stampede starts on July 3rd & runs to the 12th. So, just 3 days after the ban may be cancelled & the fact that BC has banned public gatherings such as weddings, etc till the end of summer, then why hasn't the Stampede cancelled?

I've been living in Calgary now for over 30 years & I have to admit I'm getting a little sick & tired of hearing how much this City NEEDS the Stampede. When we had the floods in 2013, again all we heard was just how much we needed the Stampede. People's businesses, homes & lives were ruined but public funds that were supposed to go to stricken neighbourhoods or for relief were redirected to clean up the Stampede grounds for the Big Event. 

Now again we hear just how much we need the Stampede again. Vendors are saying they won't survive if it's cancelled. Civic politicians are saying how negatively the psyche of the City will be affected if the event isn't allowed to go on. Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said that he had a dream. The dream was he woke up on July 1st & the pandemic was over & the Stampede went on as if nothing ever happened. Blah, blah, bah, blah. I just look at it is a no brainer. Last year, over a million visitors came to Stampede Park. With the US border closed & travel restrictions on international flights even if the Stampede went ahead there'd be nowhere close to a million people attending for 10 days. But let's say just 200,000 visitors show up. If just 10% are infected, that's still 20,000 Calgarians sick & overwhelming hospitals here.  The risk is just too great. The responsible thing is to cancel. If the Stampede Board refuses then the City & Province have to show some guts & do it for them. 

Unfortunately, the Stampede Board is a very powerful organization with connections to the City & Province. Wouldn't surprise me if the Stampede will be allowed to go on with the Stampede as restrictions will magically be lifted on June 30th. 

Update on the Stampede coming today. Many expect it will be cancelled outright.

A friend of mine works in the food and drink industry and travels with the carnival circuit from the Red River Ex through the Stampede and spots in between. Says if he loses those 2 events alone, he will lose 75% of his annual income (and he is not some low-level ride operator making minimum wage, this is hundreds of thousands of dollars). On the flipside, my brother is in sales and marketing and 95% of his business was in the US, completely gone now, so he is re-focussing on eastern Canada to keep his income going. As he puts it. "Adapt or die"

Saw a meme that was kind of telling. It said "If you have kids heading into college who are wondering what career path to take, tell them to look around right now and see who is still working"

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

28 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Saw a meme that was kind of telling. It said "If you have kids heading into college who are wondering what career path to take, tell them to look around right now and see who is still working"

And, of those careers, which of them are consistently hiring new people? 

Elizabeth Warren's Brother Dies Of Coronavirus:

Donald Reed Herring, an Air Force veteran and the oldest brother of Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), died in Oklahoma on Tuesday night after suffering complications from the novel coronavirus at age 86, the former presidential candidate confirmed. “I’m grateful to the nurses and other front-line staff who took care of my brother, but it is hard to know that there was no family to hold his hand or to say ‘I love you’ one more time. And now there’s no funeral for those of us who loved him to hold each other close,” Warren told the Boston Globe. “I will miss my brother.” Herring, who was a cancer survivor, attended the University of Oklahoma and subsequently joined the Air Force, serving for 20 years. He was awarded with several Army decorations and later retired as a lieutenant colonel in 1973.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/elizabeth-warrens-oldest-brother-dies-of-coronavirus-in-oklahoma

On a slightly different note , yesterday we ordered Chinese from a nearby restaurant and it arrived in a surprisingly short period of time. I walked out to the delivery car and when I got close, the driver's face tightened up and he shouted," Isolate, isolate!". To calm him down, I told him that I had ordered just 15 minutes ago.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Update on the Stampede coming today. Many expect it will be cancelled outright.

A friend of mine works in the food and drink industry and travels with the carnival circuit from the Red River Ex through the Stampede and spots in between. Says if he loses those 2 events alone, he will lose 75% of his annual income (and he is not some low-level ride operator making minimum wage, this is hundreds of thousands of dollars). On the flipside, my brother is in sales and marketing and 95% of his business was in the US, completely gone now, so he is re-focussing on eastern Canada to keep his income going. As he puts it. "Adapt or die"

It has been officially cancelled & I'm glad for that considering what we saw happening with no social distancing at the Brooks meat packing plant. If the Stampede had got an exemption, it would have been a disaster. As well as political suicide if a huge outbreak occurred. I feel for the vendors that will be negatively affected but I also feel for the owners of all small businesses who are already closed.. An example, is my barber who owns a hair styling salon. He employs five stylists. He's built a successful business over the years. Now he's lost 100% of his customers & income with no idea of when or even if, he reopens. I worry about him, his family & his employees. He may lose everything. I feel sad for everyone. The vendors at the Ex & Stampede will have to get in line like every other business suffering.  They may not survive & there's nothing that can be done. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27