Covid-19

JCon

6 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You're projecting, piggy.

Pseudoscience and conspiracy theory from sources that are proven to be unreliable, inaccurate trash is not science. And purporting either on here to peddle your "I'm more woke than others" narrative while getting defensive clearly shows who's insecure in his lack of intelligence.

I'd apologize for hurting your delicate sensitivities but **** it. Your actions made it clear long ago you're not here to have productive discussion; you just enjoy the discord created by the garbage you post in this sub-forum.

dont-feed-troll-web-internet-260nw-28701

don't, he gets off on it.

5 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Pseudoscience and conspiracy theory from sources that are proven to be unreliable, inaccurate trash is not science. And purporting either on here to peddle your "I'm more woke than others" narrative while getting defensive clearly shows who's insecure in his lack of intelligence.

I'd apologize for hurting your delicate sensitivities but **** it. Your actions made it clear long ago you're not here to have productive discussion; you just enjoy the discord created by the garbage you post in this sub-forum.

He really will go away if we all put him on Ignore.  I have and I don't miss him at all.  It's amazing how wrong someone can be on so many different topics, but that can only be by design.  Plus, he's an admitted troll.

His misinformation would be dangerous if anyone actually believed it, but I think this small group of people have him figured out and he doesn't add much to the football-related discussions either.

So just ignore him already.

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

The Gatreway Pundit is a very reliable source of news and information....

Gateway Pundit - Questionable - Right Bias - Conservative - Fake News - Not CredibleFactual Reporting: Low - Not Credible - Not Reliable - Fake News - Bias

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

I didn't posted the article, just linked you to the study cited in the article. 

1 hour ago, blue_gold_84 said:

You come back with I'm rubber and you are glue, why doesn't that surprise me. 

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

Discussion?  You post an article and say absolutely nothing about it unless someone disagrees with it. And yes, you do post largely from sources that are well - known as conspiracy theorists.  If there really is something to discuss, then why don't you lead the discussion, since you're the one who posted the info in the first place.

I didn't post the article, I linked you to the study cited in the article. 

1 hour ago, pigseye said:

Yes, correlation isn't causation, the first rule of science but it doesn't stop people with agendas from fooling the masses with it now does it. 

No one is talking about correlation vs. Causation. And the first rule of science isn't that. Science is impartial. Conclusions are drawn based on the evidence and tested for repeatability to ensure the correct conclusion is reached. Where a lot of people like you fail is you find a conclusion you like then try and pretend to find evidence to fit that conclusion. 

The fundamental thing about science is that it's flexible and always changing and adapting and believing what the evidence says. 

Economics is little more than sophisticated guessing.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

Where a lot of people like you fail is you find a conclusion you like then try and pretend to find evidence to fit that conclusion. 

And you are just waking up to this fact now? Please do some research on the politicization od science and you will see that we are on the same side.    

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So the Trump nuts and pandemic deniers' new trick is to try and make the virus a man-made biological weapon?  To what end?  I assume they just want to blame a non-white person or nation.  But you have the WHO saying all evidence supports the virus originating in animals and then you have people saying "no!  We NEED more evidence it didnt come from a lab!"  Whats next, you want evidence it didnt come from aliens?

The small chance that it was a lab issue is worth exploring but the efforts the nuts are going to try and make that happen is...curious.

Not really a new trick at all. I am sure you could reread the first 10 pages and see someone blaming China and calling it a bio-weapon, then again the mods have been pretty good and cleaning up the conspiracy crap so it might not be there any longer. At one point there was even speculation that a Dr formely of the virology lab had something to do with it as she was the focus of an RCMP investigation and of Chinese heritage.

I think the "New Trick" will be how many news cycles he can get out of restating a theory that has been disproved already. Anything to keep the focus away from the true problem, his own failures...

29 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

No one is talking about correlation vs. Causation. And the first rule of science isn't that. Science is impartial. Conclusions are drawn based on the evidence and tested for repeatability to ensure the correct conclusion is reached. Where a lot of people like you fail is you find a conclusion you like then try and pretend to find evidence to fit that conclusion. 

The fundamental thing about science is that it's flexible and always changing and adapting and believing what the evidence says. 

Economics is little more than sophisticated guessing.

Economics is more like an art than a science. If it were cut and dried, then the secret would be public and people, corporations and governments would utilize it and be wealthy forever. Damned few are. Economics are a guess at a fluid and volatile stew of politics, weather, and stupidity, not to mention dumb luck.

4 hours ago, blueingreenland said:

This is a STUNNING U.S. study:

Government Sanctioned Suicide: Study Finds Coming Economic Crisis Could Lead to 831,600 Suicides - Or 13 Times the Number of Coronavirus Deaths https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/04/government-sanctioned-suicide-study-finds-coming-economic-crisis-lead-831600-suicides-13-times-number-coronavirus-deaths/

The comments below this article are quite entertaining.  It's disturbing what people choose to believe, but still good for a laugh (and a half).

The furor among the Tumpsters in the US has caused Trump to give credence to yet another insane theory. These are the same people who promoted the Pizzagate idiocy and Trump has to get in front of the parade of lemmings because he is their leader. China has no incentive to create or release such a plague because it has destroyed their economy at least as badly as it has the rest of the world's. Why would the Chinese slay the golden goose that has made them wealthy and powerful?

Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a scream
Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Have you heard the news?
The dogs are dead!
You better stay home
And do as you're told
Get out of the road if you want to grow old

On the face of it, this is hard to understand. After all, people do conspire. That is, they engage in secretive or deceptive behaviour that is illegal or morally dubious.

Conspiracy is a common form of human behaviour across all cultures throughout recorded time, and it has always been particularly widespread in politics.

Virtually all of us conspire some of the time, and some people (such as spies) conspire virtually all of the time. Given people conspire, there can’t be anything wrong with believing they conspire. Hence there can’t be anything wrong with believing conspiracy theories or being a conspiracy theorist.

Thinking of conspiracy theories as paradigmatically false and irrational is like thinking of phrenology as a paradigm of scientific theory. Conspiracy theories, like scientific theories, and virtually any other category of theory, are sometimes true, sometimes false, sometimes held on rational grounds, sometimes not.

Whenever we use the terms “conspiracy theory”, “conspiracism” or “conspiracist ideation”, we’re implying, even if we don’t mean to, there is something wrong with believing, wanting to investigate, or giving any credence at all to the possibility people are engaged in secretive or deceptive behaviour.

I hope and believe that in the future these terms will be widely recognised for what they are: the products of an irrational and authoritarian outlook. 

https://theconversation.com/in-defence-of-conspiracy-theories-and-why-the-term-is-a-misnomer-101678

Manitoba reports 1 new probable case of #COVID19, bringing the total to 255.
- 99 active cases
- 7 in hospital (4 in ICU)
- 150 recovered
- 6 deaths
- 20,319 total tests conducted at Cadham Provincial Lab, 314 yesterday

"Patients and clients are encouraged to wear non-medical face masks during any health-care interaction, as well as when using public transit, handi-transit or a taxi," the province says.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within a group of people in which the desire for harmony or conformity in the group results in an irrational or dysfunctional decision-making outcome. Cohesiveness, or the desire for cohesiveness, in a group may produce a tendency among its members to agree at all costs.[1] This causes the group to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation.

Groupthink requires individuals to avoid raising controversial issues or alternative solutions, and there is loss of individual creativity, uniqueness and independent thinking. The dysfunctional group dynamics of the "ingroup" produces an "illusion of invulnerability" (an inflated certainty that the right decision has been made). Thus the "ingroup" significantly overrates its own abilities in decision-making and significantly underrates the abilities of its opponents (the "outgroup"). Furthermore, groupthink can produce dehumanizing actions against the "outgroup". Members of a group can often feel peer pressure to "go along with the crowd" in fear of rocking the boat or of what them speaking up will do to the overall to how their teammates perceive them. Group interactions tend to favor, clear and harmonious agreements and it can be a cause for concern when little to no new innovations or arguments for better policies, outcomes and structures are called to question. (McLeod). Groupthink can often be referred to as a group of “yes men” because group activities and group projects in general make it extremely easy to pass on not offering constructive opinions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groupthink

53 minutes ago, J5V said:

On the face of it, this is hard to understand. After all, people do conspire. That is, they engage in secretive or deceptive behaviour that is illegal or morally dubious.

Conspiracy is a common form of human behaviour across all cultures throughout recorded time, and it has always been particularly widespread in politics.

Virtually all of us conspire some of the time, and some people (such as spies) conspire virtually all of the time. Given people conspire, there can’t be anything wrong with believing they conspire. Hence there can’t be anything wrong with believing conspiracy theories or being a conspiracy theorist.

Thinking of conspiracy theories as paradigmatically false and irrational is like thinking of phrenology as a paradigm of scientific theory. Conspiracy theories, like scientific theories, and virtually any other category of theory, are sometimes true, sometimes false, sometimes held on rational grounds, sometimes not.

Whenever we use the terms “conspiracy theory”, “conspiracism” or “conspiracist ideation”, we’re implying, even if we don’t mean to, there is something wrong with believing, wanting to investigate, or giving any credence at all to the possibility people are engaged in secretive or deceptive behaviour.

I hope and believe that in the future these terms will be widely recognised for what they are: the products of an irrational and authoritarian outlook. 

https://theconversation.com/in-defence-of-conspiracy-theories-and-why-the-term-is-a-misnomer-101678

https://theconversation.com/how-dangerous-are-conspiracy-theories-listen-to-part-five-of-our-expert-guide-136070

"If you present people with the scientific correct information before they’re exposed to the conspiracy theory, then that theory doesn’t have as much impact on people’s attitudes. Whereas if you do it the other way around, and you present people with the conspiracy theory and then the correct information, the conspiracy belief tends to stay there."

Politicians don’t need to believe in a conspiracy theory themselves, or to convince others to fully believe the conspiracy theory they invoke. Bergmann says their main aim is to spread fear – and this is effective in rallying support.

Nailed it.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Here's my experience with conspiracy theories:

First, I'll list a few off the top of my head:

1. All our computers will crash when the year 2000 arrives
2. 911 was an inside job

3.  The Titanic didn't really sink, they sunk another ship to claim the insurance on Titanic

4. No one has ever landed on the moon - it was all trick photography

There are 100s of others, but I will stop there.  Just looking at those four - they have all been disproven

My question is simply this: can you give us something that was originally labelled a conspiracy theory, that was later proven to be legit?

For those who wrestle with isolation vs. less restrictions, COVID vs. economy, risk to millennials vs elderly, and "acceptable" levels of sacrifice, be it economic or health, here is the perspective from a COVID survivor. Just one viewpoint, would be happy to hear of others or if anyone refutes this person's opinion, having lived through it:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/21/us/coronavirus-survivor-response-to-protesters/index.html

25 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

My question is simply this: can you give us something that was originally labelled a conspiracy theory, that was later proven to be legit?

I, myself, have have proven many alleged theories to be correct..beyond a shadow of a doubt. But every time I provide proof on Facebook, they’re mysteriously replaced by cat videos. 
So, every time you see a new cat video, rest assured in the knowledge that I’m silently working behind the scenes.

STATES ARE HAVING TO SMUGGLE COVID SUPPLIES TO KEEP THEM AWAY FROM FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SEIZURE

APRIL 21, 2020 6:54PM (UTC)

States have been forced to resort to smuggling shipments of personal protective equipment (PPE) after federal officials seized supplies ordered by hospitals without informing officials.

Governors have long complained that the Trump administration has left them to bid against each other on the open market for critical supplies for health workers. However, numerous officials recently claimed that the federal government had seized supplies ordered by the states. Colorado Gov. Jared Polis, a Democrat, told CNN that the state bought 500 ventilators before they were "swept up" by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, a Republican, said the Trump administration "confiscated" its order of 3 million masks.

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/21/states-smuggle-covid-19-medical-supplies-to-avoid-federal-seizures-as-house-probes-jared-kushner/