Covid-19

JCon

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

FYI

Erroneous! Jurrasic Park only opened once. It was never open the first time and the rest of the time was just people trying to get dinosaurs off an island or being unauthorized tourists.

We don't want to shut down our business. We regularly import goods from China but may have to rethink that. I had an email exchange with one of our Chinese suppliers yesterday about shipping costs that have tripled since the world-wide lock-down. Tripled! We were quite surprised but perhaps shouldn't have been. I used the occasion to ask how business there had been affected otherwise. The reply was that their particular business was doing okay because they are into electronics and orders are still coming in. But many other businesses there have shut down completely. It was stressed that this had nothing to do with them and that it was a result of orders almost completely drying up from around the world due to the lock-down. Extrapolate that however you will as to what it's effects are going to do to things like the cost of goods, wages, etc. as we move forward.

10 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think old guard, more accurately meaning people who have always done something a certain way, not necessarily age.   People younger than me prefer being in the office.  Im 40-ish and I never want to be in the office again. lol  

Some managers are all about gotcha.  If someone does their job well and effectively and you catch them checking their emails or making a personal call, is that really something worth disciplinary action vs someone else who might never do anything remotely "wrong" but isnt as good or effective?  Happy workplaces seem more efficient.  One good thing about my area is it IS casual (too casual sometimes) and people do surf the net or listen to podcasts or whatever. Hence why I spend too much time on this forum 😉

One boss I had in the mid 80's 1985 & 86, was a piece of work. I was working in claims at  hell, he was such an ass that I'll name the company... Portage La Prairie Mutual. This guy, wow. Talk about managing under terror & with a hammer & sickle. We had cubicles at work  so we couldn't see who would be approaching our desks. This guy would walk around the office sneaking up on employees & admonishing them for all to hear if he thought they were slacking  by yelling. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? WHY AREN'T YOU WORKING?? I DON'T PAY YOU TO STARE OFF INTO SPACE. GET BACK TO WORK!!!!" Employees were deathly afraid of him. My supervisor would sometimes go into meetings & come out shaking. He was a bully. A narcissist as well as a total & complete *******.

I got fired after about 6 months of pure hell going to work in that toxic work environment. I remember my firing. Calls me in & says that I'm done but to stick around the rest of the day & finish off what I was doing. He didn't give me a reason for my firing but he seemed to be having a good time doing it. I remember looking him in the eye fromacross his desk & saying. "You're enjoying this, aren't you? He leaned back, put his feet on his desk & his hands behind his head & said, "Yes!" On thye way back to my desk, my super called me into his office & said, "I'm sorry this happened. It's not your fault". I asked him if he was happy with my work & he said yes which was the only thing that mattered to me. I told him I was never given a reason for my firing. He said, you were an Autopac adjuster & he hates Autopac. I started my career out of the U of M with them. I asked  why did he hire me? He just shrugged his shoulders. I hope the guy had a paralyzing stroke or died of cancer. I never hated a boss as much as that loser. 

True story. But I never worked in an office like that before or after so it was an anomaly.  I've been working since high school so after all these years I guess I was bound to work for some great bosses (which I did) & some very bad ones (like the guy above). 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

TRUMP HAS FOUND THE CURE FOR THE CORONAVIRUS!!

“So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just a very powerful light,” Trump said. "And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way and I think you said you’re going to test that too." 

Case closed!

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

TRUMP HAS FOUND THE CURE FOR THE CORONAVIRUS!!

“So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it’s ultraviolet or just a very powerful light,” Trump said. "And then I said supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way and I think you said you’re going to test that too." 

Case closed!

It works,  I've been wrapping myself in Christmas tree lights hooked up to a couple of batteries for weeks now and I haven't caught the virus yet!  It works like a  personal force-field, especially effective when I go grocery shopping.

35 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It works,  I've been wrapping myself in Christmas tree lights hooked up to a couple of batteries for weeks now and I haven't caught the virus yet!  It works like a  personal force-field, especially effective when I go grocery shopping.

Dandelion wine has been doing the trick for me, many tremendous glasses of it. 

This has been the focus of attention on CNN and other news outlets, and rightfully so. The medical community is aghast at the prospect of people putting disinfectant into their bodies through injection or ingestion, and Lysol was so alarmed that they have put out a news release strongly advising against this, probably to avoid lawsuits. And doubtless Trump will come up with even more bizarre ideas. It would be comical if not so tragic, and more people will die as a result.

Inevitable but like I already said a couple of times, I wanted to sit out this year anyway, the cancellation of the book market irks me more as well as the fact that I probably won't get to go on my annual two day trip to Grand Forks, I'm just waiting hear that Manyfest will be cancelled next I mean the food trucks are already going to be suffering because of the virus

31 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

pffft he was obviously joking. 

or maybe he didn't mean that

or maybe you are just taking him out of context. 

Worse, just now Trump explaining about yesterday .....that he was "Speaking sarcastically to a reporter, like you"

Translation:   Caught in stupid and dangerous lie, attempts to wiggle out of it with absurd explanation, like some sort of 6 year old.  

Film at 11