The Other Bomber Forum

BBRT

2 hours ago, gcn11 said:

They simply said as I stated to me and said they would have it back up as quickly as possible. i know when Riderfans went down last year it was over a month.

Wow that must have caused a shitload of extra inbreeding in riderville with nothing to do on the forums 

11 hours ago, gcn11 said:

lol...but seriously i do know that TEP's age has been creating a lot of problems for it over the past couple months because of new internet security protocols on browsers. It may have come to a head.

Speaking of security, has anyone considered that it may have been hacked? Rich can probably explain this better than I can since he's a pro but basically what happens is that a site will get hacked and the hacker encrypts the data and then offers a key to un-encrypt the data for a fee. It's basically extortion. When these sorts of things happen the host site rarely reports it to their users out of embarrassment. No site wants to admit they've been hacked and their data compromised.

A reliable backup should have been installed by now, provided they have been backing up the site.

Worse case scenario if there is no reliable backup of the site's data would then be to install fresh CMS and start all over including all users recreating their accounts and everyone set to zero post count. A daunting proposition. Let's hope it hasn't come to that.

13 minutes ago, J5V said:

Speaking of security, has anyone considered that it may have been hacked? Rich can probably explain this better than I can since he's a pro but basically what happens is that a site will get hacked and the hacker encrypts the data and then offers a key to un-encrypt the data for a fee. It's basically extortion. When these sorts of things happen the host site rarely reports it to their users out of embarrassment. No site wants to admit they've been hacked and their data compromised.

A reliable backup should have been installed by now, provided they have been backing up the site.

Worse case scenario if there is no reliable backup of the site's data would then be to install fresh CMS and start all over including all users recreating their accounts and everyone set to zero post count. A daunting proposition. Let's hope it hasn't come to that.

It may come to that. Hopefully the Bombers site learned to back up from the massive fail that RIderfans made in that regard last year.

49 minutes ago, J5V said:

Oh I fully expect that when and if it comes back, all our history will have been lost. I would hardly ever look back at old threads but for some reason it really bothers me that all that activity might have vanished from the depths of cyber space.

32 minutes ago, blue_or_die said:

Oh I fully expect that when and if it comes back, all our history will have been lost. I would hardly ever look back at old threads but for some reason it really bothers me that all that activity might have vanished from the depths of cyber space.

A lot of history there. If they were regularly backing up then the losses should be minimal though.

Edited by gcn11

4 hours ago, blue_or_die said:

Well, the data is likely stored in a MYSQL (or similar) database and backing up something like that really is trivial. But, did anyone do it? Even an old backup will at least have preserved most of the users. It's not a big deal to then import that data into the new CMS. You might be pleasantly surprised when it does come back online. Hope so anyway.👍🏽

Edited by J5V

3 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

Yep, that was him. 0.5 seconds of his face over someone's shoulder. Apparently he did a few other commercials as well.

Actually he appeared twice in opposing shots so someone saved money on extras. 

26 minutes ago, J5V said:

Well, the data is likely stored in a MYSQL (or similar) database and backing up something like that really is trivial. But, did anyone do it? Even an old backup will at least have preserved most of the users. It's not a big deal to then import that data into the new CMS. You might be pleasantly surprised when it does come back online. Hope so anyway.👍🏽

It isn’t all that trivial unless you have a tool to extract , decrypt, and re-encrypt passwords into the new application.  Otherwise people can’t easily access their account or need to trigger password resets, then you have to hope their registered emails are still active. 

That is just for accounts, let alone posting history which is what people are most concerned with.  

Assuming they are moving to a new software package and haven’t had some other disaster event hit, unless there is a migration tool from old to new, it probably wouldn’t be worth the effort to migrate.  

Keeping in mind you not only need to extract the data from the old database, but then transform it into the new one.  Sites like these aren't maintained by developers dedicated to keeping it going.  The effort to write and test those extractions and transformation are not worth what you get back for it, not to mention you would be delaying re-opening by days  - weeks to do so.   Most posters would rather have a site reopen sooner and start from new.

5 hours ago, blue_or_die said:

So what you’re saying is there will be no record of a certain poster losing the Pick’ems title because he didn’t believe in the Bombers....

Not mah post count!!

How will I know how much better I am than everyone else?!?

Edited by Jesse

That was already pretty much the case. I don't know if you ever tried to go back, but they only kept a certain number of pages live at any given time. The oldest thread on the main forum (That wasn't stickied) you could go back and read would have been from 2018 most likely.

16 minutes ago, Colton said:

That was already pretty much the case. I don't know if you ever tried to go back, but they only kept a certain number of pages live at any given time. The oldest thread on the main forum (That wasn't stickied) you could go back and read would have been from 2018 most likely.

Now that you mention it, I did try to go back and you're right, they didn't keep much.

N/m, then..

Just now, blue_or_die said:

Careful, he's already here, creepin'

(welcome btw)

I know, the Unbeliever lurks.

Thanks.  Had to watch the game on replay as I was on a flight to Germany during the game.  Have to get TSN live working by Sunday, but I did manage to book a flight out to Calgary the day before the GC, so I might just get to be at the game.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

It isn’t all that trivial unless you have a tool to extract , decrypt, and re-encrypt passwords into the new application.  Otherwise people can’t easily access their account or need to trigger password resets, then you have to hope their registered emails are still active. 

That is just for accounts, let alone posting history which is what people are most concerned with.  

Assuming they are moving to a new software package and haven’t had some other disaster event hit, unless there is a migration tool from old to new, it probably wouldn’t be worth the effort to migrate.  

Keeping in mind you not only need to extract the data from the old database, but then transform it into the new one.  Sites like these aren't maintained by developers dedicated to keeping it going.  The effort to write and test those extractions and transformation are not worth what you get back for it, not to mention you would be delaying re-opening by days  - weeks to do so.   Most posters would rather have a site reopen sooner and start from new.

Good stuff. This makes us appreciate all the more the work you put in to keep MBB humming along and purring like a kitten. Thanks again. :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

1 hour ago, Colton said:

It was there going waaaay back...but regular users couldn't see it.    There is an Archive board that stuff gets moved to after a year or so.