The Canadian Mafia

White Out

9 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Not saying whether or not to keep him no matter what happens, but being the best of the last two decades is definitely not a reason to keep him.

Also, Doug Berry probably would have won a Grey Cup, if he had the chance O'Shea has had here.

I'm not arguing anything but the ridiculous notion that people are saying MOS is better than Cal. NO ONE HAS SAID THAT. 

While I’m a strong supporter of O’Shea. It’s certainly not blind support. I too am pissed at our poor playoff history and of course our ongoing cup drought. 

However, I’ve taken a look at current CFL coaches who might be available in the off season and there’s not one that I would want coaching my team. Sure I’d take Dave Dickenson but he probably has a job for life with the stamps. 

And I’ve looked at a few asst. coaches but there’s not one that is a sure thing.  Plus not sure I want to go thru the growing pains of a new coach who’s learning on the job.  

So my preference is to keep the status quo but hope that miller and Walters pressures O’Shea to can our OC and DC. 

10 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Ok, rational thought, then.  When an opposing OL can contain the Bombers' pass rush, the defense is in trouble.  Hammy was going with 6 or 7 blockers, meaning the secondary only had 4 or 5 receivers to cover.  This has happened ad nauseum everytime an opposing OL did was OLs are supposed to do.  Do you consider this acceptable?  

but you can deal with that without simply going on the fire everyone spree, especially as the head coach. 

I mean cripes O'Shea isn't the first and certainly won't be the last coach to be cagey with his public responses to things like that. I do recall one of the mic'ed up games we clearly heard him giving it to one of the coordinators about what they were doing not being good (think it was Lapo) so I don't think that behind closed doors it's all sunshine and roses. 

O'Shea has patience though, he gives people chances to make it right, something a lot of people here don't subscribe to. Now personally I'm sick of our offensive and defensive coordinators, but I was never on board with hiring them in the first place because I didn't like their philosophies to start with. O'Shea though clearly doesn't mind that safe approach, which I can appreciate, I think the real problem is how unable Lapo is to adjust in game and how slow Hall is to adjust, but he does adjust, just sometimes takes too long. 

Did you read my last post? O’Shea’s record indicates that he is not better than Dave Richie. Them’s just the facts.

And, despite that, Richie STILL got a much shorter leash.  And even the indisputably great Cal Murphy was removed only six years after his last Cup win.

And that’s really the core issue.  Why should the current coach get such an extraordinarily long leash compared to any predecessor in any era on any CFL team?  Are all other franchises who’ve existed in the history of the CFL simply nuts with the way they’ve  gone about their business? 

Or is the current edition of the blue and gold leadership – “the Canadian mafia“ - simply too cozy and therefore out of step with the way a pro sports franchise is run? That’s a rhetorical question, of course. 😀 It is the latter. 

OK, nice chatting with you. Gotta go to work. 

Given the level of QB play we've had it's amazing how consistently this team has won, and not surprising that they can't beat teams with QB's in the playoffs.  I do not believe any coaching staff would have more wins so far this season with this roster.  I thought they'd end up at 10 wins before Week 1.

We knew what the flaws were heading into the season, QB and secondary.  They loaded up the DL, we have 5 guys making well into 6 figures in that group.  We didn't expect Bighill to fall off the cliff, but that's the risk with guys 30+.  Secondary has a handful of good players but nobody really great, safety spot is terrible between Hecht/Jones and only one guy with a nose for the ball.  Really missing a guy like Fogg, sure he'd get burned here and there, but he also produced double digit turnovers each year he played for Hall.  Those turnovers led to a lot of points and field position for an offense that struggles to drive the field.  The turnovers are really what is different this season.  We don't have a 2016/17 Leggett in that group.

Consistency has got us 1 playoff win in 5 years.

Canning MOS, and I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, doesn't mean going back to horrible teams. A different HC might be what we need to get this team over the hump in the playoffs.

Not knowing who the new HC would be is no reason to keep the current HC.

11 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Ok, rational thought, then.  When an opposing OL can contain the Bombers' pass rush, the defense is in trouble.  Hammy was going with 6 or 7 blockers, meaning the secondary only had 4 or 5 receivers to cover.  This has happened ad nauseum everytime an opposing OL did was OLs are supposed to do.  Do you consider this acceptable?  

Hamilton has literally done the same thing to us for 3 seasons.  And the answer to that isn't to blitz more guys into that, it's to drop 9 into coverage and force the QB to make a throw into a tight spot.  Hamilton's offense is to run max protect and heave rainbows that Banks, Addison etc run under or screen behind blitzes.  I don't quite understand why nobody will challenge their QB's to be accurate.

5 minutes ago, Tracker said:

And keeping this lot hasn't in six years, either. While O'Shea was head coach, During his time, several other clubs have resurrected their fortunes, most recently the Riders and the Alouettes- both with rookie coaches. 

See how many playoff games they win.  So far neither in a better position than the Bombers to contend, I guess you can say Montreal is in the East so by default they are.

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Consistency has got us 1 playoff win in 5 years.

Canning MOS, and I'm not saying we should or shouldn't, doesn't mean going back to horrible teams. A different HC might be what we need to get this team over the hump in the playoffs.

Not knowing who the new HC would be is no reason to keep the current HC.

I mean it kind of is. 

Give me your house and I'll give you another place to live, could be a mansion or a cardboard box, but no reason not to give me your house.

The fact that so many people are so willing to fire the head coach that has given this team a level of consistency that it hasn't reached in ages is mind blowing... yeah they have 1 playoff win, but you can't judge things purely based on the playoffs, especially when they always seemed to wind up facing the very best qbs the league has to offer in the playoffs, and a team like Calgary has been very good in all aspects outside of some Grey Cup disappointments, but in the west playoffs, particularly the west final they usually host they're a tough nut to crack. 

Now we can nit pick things, but in my mind firing O'Shea isn't even close to being something we discuss. Give the guy fresh faces at the coordinator position and see what happens, or if he does refuse to make that move when the time comes we can talk, but in the mean time I will be happy to deal with "only" winning double digit games in a season. It's so awful compared to the seasons where we're out of it by the fall. 

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I mean it kind of is. 

Give me your house and I'll give you another place to live, could be a mansion or a cardboard box, but no reason not to give me your house.

If I follow your logic, the Als would have kept Sherman and the Argos should keep Chamblin and the Lions should keep their head coach as well.

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

The fact that so many people are so willing to fire the head coach that has given this team a level of consistency that it hasn't reached in ages is mind blowing... yeah they have 1 playoff win, but you can't judge things purely based on the playoffs, especially when they always seemed to wind up facing the very best qbs the league has to offer in the playoffs, and a team like Calgary has been very good in all aspects outside of some Grey Cup disappointments, but in the west playoffs, particularly the west final they usually host they're a tough nut to crack. 

Now we can nit pick things, but in my mind firing O'Shea isn't even close to being something we discuss. Give the guy fresh faces at the coordinator position and see what happens, or if he does refuse to make that move when the time comes we can talk, but in the mean time I will be happy to deal with "only" winning double digit games in a season. It's so awful compared to the seasons where we're out of it by the fall. 

If the criteria you use to assess a coaching staff is regular season wins, then why agitate to fire the assistant coaches, yet keep O'Shea? Why are there playoffs at all? If the point is not to win the Cup, what is the goal?